xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Cellphone Data Cable  (Read 947 times)

XLNC

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »

I got a nokia dku 5 cable from a friend but the cable isn't official although the usb connection is quite large which tells me it should contain the pcb, why else would it be so big. The only problem is that it's one of those moulded type rubber connector which means I can't break it open. Do I have to open this or can I just cut the phone connector plug and use the correct wire?

Mysticcal

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »

I guess i'll be a guinie pig on this one and take a dive. I tried building the homemade solution but I think i fried the resistor in the process and this is a MUCH more elegant solution.

Datenshiz

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »

XLNC ,
By not getting into that pcb you're risking using the wrong cable. I would advice against it especially when it isnt an official cable. I would take a knife/hand saw or something and carefully split the rubber or whatever it is. then glue it back together once you know which cable to use. Ofc if you're 100% sure what cable is RX, AND have no need to look up the name of the PCB( in case you need to Google for drivers) its not necessary to access the PCB.

Mysticcal ,
Well, in a way you're probably the first to try this method. At least the first person to report it here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But on the other hand the same components are used in CK3 and the DIY guides on this forum. "Gadgetz" post #5 already said he uses an RS232 - TTL cable from a very old mobile phone. The generation of datacables after that does USB - RS232 - TTL. Both types work fine, the problem with RS232 connector is that it requires you to have a serial port on your computer, and like 99.9% of computers today have an USB port. The drawback with USB would be software related if any. My DKU-5 cable requires me to install a driver for it, this driver is necessary for the USB connector to be simulated as a serial connection. My driver was easily downloaded from the internetz, if anyone find themselves without a driver i would suggest looking at their PCB and try to identify the pcb name usually printed on the board, then google for the driver as this is what i did.

This post has been edited by Datenshiz: Mar 3 2009, 01:43 AM

majnu786

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 04:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(Datenshiz @ Feb 6 2009, 09:31 PM) View Post

dude, both of those tools are seriously overpriced for what they do. I never "made" a cable, what i did was cut the Nokia cable and took out the Rx cable within, this is noway near difficult, a monkey could do it. This obviously work and cost me 12cent for a key extraction. The $ difference for the same thing using CK3 or this method is staggering. There's no soldering necessary and believe it or not, people dont like to spend a lot of cash for something they'll use once or twice. People may even have an old data cable laying around. If you're "all about saving money" you should know that it usually mean some sort of effort from your part, the question would be if the effort is worth the $ saving and in this case, it most definitely is.

Sorry maybe a bit of a stupid question. But then to Neewbies like me and many other people who are new to the scene will be thinking the same question but afraid to ask because they will get flamed or branded a retard by some vain person. But questions like this help clarify things and we actually gain knowledge. In a world where knowledge is power lol.
Cannot wait for your write-up, unfortunately here in the UK these cables still fetch £4 on ebay so not as cheap as they are in the US.

Q. Would I need to buy a CK3 Probe xtractor, or connectivity kit?

Q. So then essentially your DKU-5 you chopped of the botton bit (which normally connects into a Nokia phone) identified the Rx (Receive cable within); attached a metal needle and that's it?

Q. I am asking this because I had my Liteon flashed with iXtreme 1.5 by a company for £50 and now with 1.6 on the horizon with wave 3 I need to flash it again and do not want to pay again. I have all the drive keys with my Liteon and there tutorials on how to use JungleFlasher so I am confident with following guides to do this myself. But not yet confident with what hardware. Therefore is this Modified DKU-5 all I need to extract and flash my drive with iXtreme 1.6 when it comes out?

Sorry for the long questions. But we have all been Neewbies.
Thanks  smile.gif

seamonkeydo12

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »

majnu786 if i were you i would not even bother since you sent the drive out to get flashed and they already extracted your key. They should have gave your key to you if they were nice, but if they didn't, the first thing i would do i call the company that flashed your drive up and tell them to send you your key since they might have it backed up.Then you just inject the key into the liton fw and flash your drive over sata with no drive key extraction required.

ps...£50 thats alot for a flash

strawsy

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »

Hey datenshiz did you ever get this working? My lg fusic cable doesn't have any chips at all so it definitely won't work. Just so I understand how this works better I want to ask a few questions. Ok to extract the key with this, would all you do is cut the phone connector end, tap off all the wires except rx and then make it a probe and extract the key?

yaywoop

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 03:12:00 AM »

@strawsy
only data cables for older non-usb enabled phones will work. because these cables have hardware built in to adapt usb to USART (TTL level serial)

and yes you have it right, that's all you need to do.

QUOTE(Datenshiz @ Mar 2 2009, 11:58 PM) *

There's no obvious risk except if you're dumb and use the VCC ( voltage ) cable instead of the RX one leading out of the PCB. USB port outputs 5v to the PCB inside the cable for powering it, then there's a voltage cable leading out of the PCB. You should find out which one this is to be sure, either by opening the casing around the PCB board inside the cable or using google. What i did was i opened up the cable and checked which cable was the VCC and cut the one leading out of the chip. since we dont need any power except for powering the actual cable PCB its safe to cut it.

Edit:
Forgot to mention that i will probably write a through guide to making these extractors later when i get time. A new thread will be made for that since this one was more for early collection of information and questions if it had been attempted before, there seem to be a fair amount of interested people to write a guide for.

to make it even less risky. i would recommend putting a 1K resistor in series with the probe. this will make it totally fool proof.
even if you happen to stick the probe somewhere on the board where it shouldn't go

majnu786

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(seamonkeydo12 @ Mar 4 2009, 05:16 AM) *

majnu786 if i were you i would not even bother since you sent the drive out to get flashed and they already extracted your key. They should have gave your key to you if they were nice, but if they didn't, the first thing i would do i call the company that flashed your drive up and tell them to send you your key since they might have it backed up.Then you just inject the key into the liton fw and flash your drive over sata with no drive key extraction required.
ps...£50 thats alot for a flash

I have my drive key backed up on a USB stick which the company gave. Yes I admit £50 is alot of money, but when your naive I guess people can see you comming and think £££'s. Their eyes glow with glee and they rip ypu off. But hey, no biggy, since then I learnt alot from this forum and am willing to give it a shot myself.

I went on the Team Xecuter website and they have a connectivity Pro kit which is 1) A proble and 2) Some peice of equipment to attach to the XBOX 360 drive to the PC via a SATA lead. So does this DKU-5 just replace the probe or the entire connectivity kit?

Thank You.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

strawsy

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(yaywoop @ Mar 4 2009, 05:48 AM) *

@strawsy
only data cables for older non-usb enabled phones will work. because these cables have hardware built in to adapt usb to USART (TTL level serial)

and yes you have it right, that's all you need to do.
to make it even less risky. i would recommend putting a 1K resistor in series with the probe. this will make it totally fool proof.
even if you happen to stick the probe somewhere on the board where it shouldn't go

Ok thanks man. Yeah putting the resistor on does sound like a good idea. I could just put the resistor and the probe in a pen to help keep in secure. Now can I just power the drive with the xbox and use this? If I do it that way how can I eject only half way? Would I just remove pin 3 from the cable that goes from the dvd drive to the motherboard?

This post has been edited by strawsy: Mar 4 2009, 11:03 PM

seamonkeydo12

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »

majnu786 since you have the keys you do not need to buy anything to extract it. Obtaining the key has nothing to do with flashing the drive really, when you flash the only hard ware required is a sata cable and a compatible sata chipset.

SO the process for you to upgrade your flash should go like this:
1.Inject you key into the 1.51/1.6 fw with jungleflasher
2.Power your dvd drive through your xbox and connect the sata cable to your pc
3.flash using jungleflasher

you do not need to buy anything if you have those parts...unless you want to

ruley

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 03:08:00 AM »

Could you use the ipod cable.
http://pinouts.ru/Po...od_pinout.shtml

Takashi

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 03:10:00 AM »

No, the ipod cable has zero electronics within it, it's just a simple usb passthru.

ruley

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 06:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(Takashi @ Mar 5 2009, 08:16 PM) *

No, the ipod cable has zero electronics within it, it's just a simple usb passthru.

So what about if i got this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-to-DB9-RS232-RS-232-Serial-Cable-Converter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ260315270070QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item260315270070&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 ://http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-to-DB9-R...1%7C240%3A1318 and hook a wire up to the rx would that work??
Sorry about the questions, i know they have been asked before.

Takashi

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »

usb to serial isn't what you need to look for, it's got to be one that is a serial to ttl.

strawsy

• Archived User
Cellphone Data Cable
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(ruley @ Mar 5 2009, 09:15 AM) *

If you are willing to buy that then why not buy the DKU-5 cable? Also like takashi said that's not even the right cable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18