xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Firmtool 1.3 Vs Firmwaretool32  (Read 19 times)

jago1984

• Archived User
Firmtool 1.3 Vs Firmwaretool32
« on: December 28, 2008, 04:50:00 AM »

I noticed a difference in the firmware files created by FirmTool (dos version) and FirmwareTool32 (in JungleFlasher) at 0x1FF07.
I Used the same Dummy.bin (generated by DVDKey 0.7) as a reference.
It looks like FirmTool doen't copy the drive serial in too the new firmware. (I don't get any error messages from either FirmTool or FirmwareTool32)
This is confirmed by JungleFlasher if I open the hacked firmware. The firmware created by FirmTool has a different drive serial as the original dummy. The firmware created by FirmwareTool32 has the same drive serial as the original dummy (as it should).
Is this a bug in FirmTool 1.3? I used the FirmTool that was provided with iXtreme 1.5

Bo0m3r

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 05:58:00 AM »

I created also fw in jungle flasher and it says that there is no key, when I import the fw in fwtoolbox4.8 I can see the right key etc. Maybe  a prob with jungleflasher to read out the fw?

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(jago1984 @ Dec 28 2008, 07:26 AM) *
Is this a bug in FirmTool 1.3? I used the FirmTool that was provided with iXtreme 1.5

Yes, thank you for finding it and making a forum post about it.   Jungleflasher does it correct but firmtool does not.  This is due to one value being incorrectly compared, resulting in it stating it has copied the serial but not actually written the serial to the iXtreme firmware.  v1.3.1 of firmtool will be released shortly.

Regards,
Caster.

hetster

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »

is serial and dvd key different?
coz i used dvdkey32 to dump the files inc dummy.bin then used firmtool1.3 to inject the info into the ixtreme file..i have compared several of the dumps i have made..i compared the dummy.bin with the ixtreme created file in jungle flasher and both the keys match..
i'm slightly worried now as i have sent 18 xbox's home and used firmtool 1.3 with allof them lol..they all play with no probs as of now but a bit more info would be nice..

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(hetster @ Dec 28 2008, 01:58 PM) *
is serial and dvd key different?
coz i used dvdkey32 to dump the files inc dummy.bin then used firmtool1.3 to inject the info into the ixtreme file..i have compared several of the dumps i have made..i compared the dummy.bin with the ixtreme created file in jungle flasher and both the keys match..
i'm slightly worried now as i have sent 18 xbox's home and used firmtool 1.3 with allof them lol..they all play with no probs as of now but a bit more info would be nice..

Yes, your dvdkey and your serial are two different things.  In Lite-On firmware, there are 0x50 bytes of drive specific information from 0x1FF00-0X1FF50.  This range in Lite-On iXtreme firmware contains valid information by default but if not changed, remains the same as what is currently there.

So, it is not an issue with your drive booting backups.  This is an area that should be patched to try to make the hacked firmware look and respond as the original firmware would have.  Unlike benq iXtreme firmware, lite-on iXtreme firmware does contain a valid response by default but all drives that are flashed without changing this area will have the same response.

Again, my appologies for this bug.

Regards,
Caster.

This post has been edited by caster420: Dec 28 2008, 07:42 PM

lord^infamous

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »

Nice catch!  Luckily for me I have been using xtractor reader to get keys and file and jungleflash to create firmware and dosflash to erase and flash.  I think that method works out the best.  Eventually I'm sure there will be an all in one GUI that will do it all without a hiccup.

hetster

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »

so what could be the consequence of not redoing the firmware?
i take it i will have to recallall 18 as i dumped the key with dvdkey32 and then created the firmware with firmtool 1.3 and the dummy bin created with dvdkey32?

i know at least 3 of them play on live..is this where theproblem could be detected?

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(hetster @ Dec 28 2008, 02:43 PM) View Post
so what could be the consequence of not redoing the firmware?
i take it i will have to recallall 18 as i dumped the key with dvdkey32 and then created the firmware with firmtool 1.3 and the dummy bin created with dvdkey32?

i know at least 3 of them play on live..is this where theproblem could be detected?

The consequence of not redoing it would be that should, one day, they decide to issue the specific cdb's that report this information and compare it to generic lite-on iXtreme firmware, it would match.  That being said, this isnt currently happening.  For those that use live, i would recommend recreating and reflasing your firmware.  If it is never going to see Live, i wouldnt be too concerned about it.

Caster.

hetster

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »

thanks..and thanks for the quick response
i'm ringing around now lol..

just to confirm i can still use dvdkey32 to get the keys and dummy.bin etc but need the new firmtool 1.3.1 to create the ixtreme..if i use dvdkey32 0.7 and firmtool 1.3.1 i will get a proper copy?

This post has been edited by hetster: Dec 28 2008, 08:24 PM

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(hetster @ Dec 28 2008, 02:58 PM) View Post
thanks..and thanks for the quick response
i'm ringing around now lol..

just to confirm i can still use dvdkey32 to get the keys and dummy.bin etc but need the new firmtool 1.3.1 to create the ixtreme..if i use dvdkey32 0.7 and firmtool 1.3.1 i will get a proper copy?

Assuming you made dummy.bin previously with dvdkey32 0.7, just reuse the dummy.bin with firmtool v1.3.1.    You should not dump it from the drive and create a new dummy.bin, because it will just be using the information that is already in the iXtreme firmware you flashed.

Caster.

hetster

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »

yeah i gathered lol..ive saved all the enquirey/key/identity/dummy bins from the original dumps and remade the ixtreme with 1.3.1

hetster

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »

so just for future reference using dvdkey32 0.7 to dump the keys and firmtool 1.3.1 for future dummy bins is fine?

also is there a tool i can use to see if the new info has changed in the dummy bin or a quick "use this tool and look at line xxx" etc..just so i can be safe

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(hetster @ Dec 28 2008, 03:54 PM) View Post
so just for future reference using dvdkey32 0.7 to dump the keys and firmtool 1.3.1 for future dummy bins is fine?

also is there a tool i can use to see if the new info has changed in the dummy bin or a quick "use this tool and look at line xxx" etc..just so i can be safe

Yes, it is fine.

You can use a hex editor and look at 0x1ff00 to 0x1ff50 in both dummy.bin and your prepared lite-on iXtreme fw.

Caster.

hetster

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

its ok i just found out if ya click advanced in jungle flasher you get option to view all the info including serial numbers..and they now match after redoing the dummy bin with firmtool 1.3.1 ty again

and we all make mistakes from time to time ;-) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

so ty to caster for the quick fix and tools and ty to jago1984 for the quick spot..even though i have to recall 18 360's it coulda been a lot worse in the comming days lol..

This post has been edited by hetster: Dec 28 2008, 09:38 PM