xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Flash Your Liteon For Free!  (Read 769 times)

yaywoop

• Archived User
Flash Your Liteon For Free!
« on: December 23, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

Merry Christmas!
here is a neat way to save $50 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

No soldering to the drive is required, but you will need to solder the basic circuit together.
http://xbox-experts.com/e/tutorial.php?n=flashyourliteonf

This time I wrote the tutorial off site (so I can edit it in the future if need be, like when new software becomes available, or to add a dos section for VIA owners etc.)

there will soon be a forum on xbox-experts too, so post any comments here or there.

This post has been edited by yaywoop: Dec 24 2008, 03:59 AM

sammyo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »

Hi, sorry if this question had been asked on your other thread (that's very long).
If I powered the dvd from xbox (instead of pc), do I need to additionally connect the DVD ground to the pc ground (say, pc casing / black cable on the pc molex power)? so they have a common ground?

Or it's unecessary as the serial cable already ground the DVD to the pc, so both already has a common ground?

thanks.

yaywoop

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »

well the SATA cable does provide a common ground. but it would not hurt to have the cases of your pc and xbox touchng, or joined with some wire.

yaywoop

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »

Update: just added some images and stuff about removing pin 3 when using the 360 to power the drive.

sprites

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 02:54:00 AM »

could this done through usb?
i don't have a liteon drive but as com ports are becoming quite rare nowadays...

yaywoop

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 03:13:00 AM »

yes a usb => rs232 adapter will work.
and most motherboards will have internal headers for serial even if they don't have any on the back. see the motherboard manual.

Juvenal1228

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 05:32:00 AM »

lol i have the same PC case as you  tongue.gif

that thing rocks!!!!

leviantanious

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »

Thank you for this great tutorial! I found the right transistor and the resistors from an old radio. I have still few questions though...

1. How do I get the power for my circuit from molex. Do I just stick the wire to the right hole (how can you make it stay in)?

2. I have com ports in my motherboard, but I don't have a serial cable right now. Is there a way to do this without buying the cable (I know they don't cost much..)? Connecting the wires staight to the com port's pins or something..

3. There is a manual eject hole in the xbox. I was readin from the other thread that using this you don't have to pull any pins from the drive. He is talking about the ejecting part only. There is no other way for the drive to stay half way open than pulling the 3. pin. Am I correct?

Thank you for your answers. I've been reading these diy Lite on key threads for the past few days like crazy...

JBmtk

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(leviantanious @ Dec 25 2008, 05:40 PM) View Post

Thank you for this great tutorial! I found the right transistor and the resistors from an old radio. I have still few questions though...

1. How do I get the power for my circuit from molex. Do I just stick the wire to the right hole (how can you make it stay in)?

2. I have com ports in my motherboard, but I don't have a serial cable right now. Is there a way to do this without buying the cable (I know they don't cost much..)? Connecting the wires staight to the com port's pins or something..

3. There is a manual eject hole in the xbox. I was readin from the other thread that using this you don't have to pull any pins from the drive. He is talking about the ejecting part only. There is no other way for the drive to stay half way open than pulling the 3. pin. Am I correct?

Thank you for your answers. I've been reading these diy Lite on key threads for the past few days like crazy...

1. yes, it from the molex...what i did was find a female end molex I was not using and then strip off the end of that 5v wire to use to power my circuit. I'm sure you will find a way to stick a wire in there.

2. YES! make sure you lookup your motherboard manual to find out the pin layout. Beware, not all motherboard's COM port pins go straight across...Use some pin headers to go over the pins....or else twist wires

3. Yes, you can use manual eject....

yaywoop

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(JBmtk @ Dec 26 2008, 09:48 AM) View Post

1. yes, it from the molex...what i did was find a female end molex I was not using and then strip off the end of that 5v wire to use to power my circuit. I'm sure you will find a way to stick a wire in there.

2. YES! make sure you lookup your motherboard manual to find out the pin layout. Beware, not all motherboard's COM port pins go straight across...Use some pin headers to go over the pins....or else twist wires

and for a cheaper way to get power from the molex, you just strip any wire, fold the bare wire back and put it in the hole. make sure you don't short out any pins!!

you can get the header socket to fit on the pins by cutting up an old IDE cable. make sure you read the mobo manual for the correct pinouts

hmm no matter what I tried I couldn't get the manual eject thing to work without pulling pin 3. donno.

hippodude100

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

Or you can get the 5V from the drive itself ..., works fine to

solin

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(JBmtk @ Dec 25 2008, 11:48 PM) View Post

Have a question regarding the Serial cable; I want to use a "serial null modem" cable since I' have a whole bunch, but from the schematic of the cable; it's not a direct connection on both ends:

Connector 1   Connector 2   Function
2                          3             Rx  Tx
3                          2             Tx   Rx
5                          5            Signal ground

Will it work if I' just swap the connections on connector 2?......

Thanks for your help. & it's a great design by the way......

yaywoop

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(solin @ Dec 26 2008, 01:20 PM) View Post

Have a question regarding the Serial cable; I want to use a "serial null modem" cable since I' have a whole bunch, but from the schematic of the cable; it's not a direct connection on both ends:

Connector 1   Connector 2   Function
2                          3             Rx  Tx
3                          2             Tx   Rx
5                          5            Signal ground

Will it work if I' just swap the connections on connector 2?......

Thanks for your help. & it's a great design by the way......

probably. I would make sure with a multimeter.

plugin

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 02:38:00 AM »

Yaywoop, I've got some questions regarding the use of correct salvaged parts. I've torn apart an old Sony VHS player and found the following items that I think are the correct ones for the job.

There was no transistor on the whole board that matched the ones you set as example, but in the power source area of the VHS I found two transistors which fortunately have the BCE labeled on the board. The first one (C4418) and bigger one is this:

(IMG:http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww180/pluginm/HMSpear1.jpg)

On that same area on the VHS I found this second one (C3377). Smaller but still has the BCE labeled on the board. Notice the difference in size comparing it to the first one which appears on the following shot at the top right hand corner.

(IMG:http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww180/pluginm/HMSpear2.jpg)

I did find the resistors on the main board. My only concern is that they are very small. I'm positive that I can de-solder them but I don't know if the size will determine anything that I should be aware of:

(IMG:http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww180/pluginm/HMSpear3.jpg)

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by plugin: Dec 26 2008, 10:40 AM

snmp

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(sprites @ Dec 25 2008, 11:30 AM) View Post

could this done through usb?
i don't have a liteon drive but as com ports are becoming quite rare nowadays...

click the link in my signature if your interested in a cheap usb solution requires absolutely no soldering.
yes the 360 eject method worx(best imo) and requires no pin pulling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12