xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: (free) Simple Spear For Use With Ck3 Pro  (Read 243 times)

Exobex

• Archived User
(free) Simple Spear For Use With Ck3 Pro
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2009, 04:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(JeeBoy @ Dec 12 2008, 06:11 PM) View Post

why use all these probes??
Can one not just solder the points??
Whats the diffrence?
Please answer.

It's quicker.  In the time it would take to grab a soldering iron, put it in its stand, switch it on and wait for it to warm up, a probe user would've read the key, created the firmware, flashed the drive and would be putting the screws back in. biggrin.gif

Even if you're forever flashing and reflashing your drive, trying the latest firmware, etc. you only need to read the firmware the very first time.  The jumper's not needed for reflashing.

barzi

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(barzi @ Jan 5 2009, 10:35 PM) View Post

Does the pin that goes into the hole has to touch something on the otherside? Or does it have to touch the sides of the hole?

Please?

mac456

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2009, 03:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(barzi @ Dec 25 2008, 03:24 PM) View Post

Isn't it dangerous to touch the actual metal when you are obtaining the drive key? There is no elektricity on that pin?

no idea, but i taped over it anyway before use

zweef_jr

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(zweef_jr @ Jan 13 2009, 11:48 AM) View Post

i'f read the thread but i couldn't get my question confirmd, can i allso use a spear like the guy's shown here for the maximus xtractor?
thanks,

bump

Trizzoid30

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(zweef_jr @ Jan 13 2009, 02:48 AM) View Post

i'f read the thread but i couldn't get my question confirmd, can i allso use a spear like the guy's shown here for the maximus xtractor?
thanks,

To answer your question, yes, you can do this method with the Xtractor as well.  I've got the Xtractor, never did a flash before in my life, and have now done 3 with this home made spear method by splicing wire #11 like in the tut and routing it to a safety pin which I soldered to some wire, I just made sure to wrap up the part of the safety pin that I was going to "hold" with electrical tape and it works perfect.

zweef_jr

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »

Thanks Trizzoid30, thats all i needed to know. beerchug.gif

Teun.

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »

Allright guys.
Ive been reading through a bunch of topics before attempting to flash my liteon
Now, in a couple of topics I saw a homemade spear. And they were all connected with the dvd cable to the ck3 (or extractor)
is it needed to connect your spear to your ck3? Or can I just brigde the two point with holding a needle on them without connecting anything?

barzi

• Archived User
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »

I want to say that my homemade spear works perfect! biggrin.gif Thank you!
This is much faster then bridge the TX with a screwdriver..

niabi

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »

I made a DIY spear, and it worked perfectly on one drive. but i have another one right now, that its just not working AT ALL I even tried soldering and it didn't worked so i desolder it and tried again with the spear but no go, anyone got any idea?

I am posting an image

http://i269.photobuc...c_/_MG_2428.jpg

IPB Image

my question is, when I check continuity on the pad, ONLY with the spear I see that any of the 4 holes (707, 708, 709 and 710) they all have continuity to the yellow circle, is this how its suppose to do it? but when i check them without the spear then they 708 has continuity to the red circle and 707 to the yellow, the other 2 don't.

is this how its supposed to work?

the drive works perfectly on the Xbox for originals.

kuranuk

• Archived User
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »

For fans of the ultra quick-and-dirty, I made a simple probe that's worked on two lite-on's so far. Rather than splicing into the wire (since I've found that inserting/removing the wires takes a bit of force, and didn't want the splice coming undone), I put a tiny dab of solder on the base of the header pins instead. They're already exposed and all, it just seemed easier!

Plus, rather than sacrificing a multimeter probe, I just used a tube from a can of compressed air and a sewing needle for the probe! Ran a wire through the tube, soldered to the needle, and put a dab of hot glue at both ends to hold it in place.

IPB Image
IPB Image

pogi1100

• Archived User
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(kipper2k @ Dec 12 2008, 10:29 AM) View Post

Why would you want to solder the 2 points and then have to remove them again afterwards when you can just press a probe onto the via hole to get a read. It is non destructive and also reduces the risk of causing damage to the board
kipper

You do not need to remove them again afterwards but you can if you want to do it for fun...
You're right it is better because it does reduce the risk of harming the board.

For people who still need to dump their Liteon key then just buy the CK3 Lite w/o the probe (to save 15 bucks) and do the mod described in this thread and it will work.

shadowth

• Archived User
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

kuranuk's solution is awesome. I'm just not doing it since I don't wan't something hanging permanently on the CK! Maybe I'll do it just for the key extraction and the desolder it!

And, I've got a small question for you guys. Does the wire that you need to strip and add the DIY probe needs to be connected to the 360 drive? Because instead of doing the Y thing with the probe and wire, I was thinking about just pulling off plug which goes in the drive, add the probie and voilá, it'd be easier, I guess. Or does the 360 send something else thru that wire besides the key?

Excellent topic, I laughed a lot. smile.gif

I'm just waiting for my CK Lite to arrive so I can dump my key! biggrin.gif

Thanks!

zainday

• Archived User
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »

If you were careful and didn't tug on it etc. How about attaching an alligator clip to the spear and clip it to the side of the header pin. That way you could remove it once key is read.
Something like this...
http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062236

zainday

• Archived User
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »

Ended up using some tattoo supplies I had. Needle/Tube/Gromit/Wire/Hotglue. Used an extra drive cable I had and then pulled the header pin out and soldered to the pin. Even labeled it for kicks! haha! Thanks for the tip!
IPB Image.[/img]

paul543

• Archived User
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »

There is one thing I always wondered about.

Why does the Spear need to be connected to the device in order to work? I disconnected my spear and pushed it in and I wouldn't get any key read. Does the data actually go through the spear? I thought it just bridged the connections and the cable connector was just there for the LED (in other words redundant).

What am I missing?

Thank You
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7