xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help! Need To Extract A Key From One Ms25 To Another Ms25  (Read 32 times)

XandrewX

• Archived User
Help! Need To Extract A Key From One Ms25 To Another Ms25
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »

Im repairing an Xbox for a friend.. He brought me his original Ms25 drive and 3 other ms25s...  

When the xbox loads, it sits on the splash screen for about 60 seconds, then goes to the home screen and says reading, even though there is no disc.  and Eject does not open the drive, or any other buttons to open it...

So I piece together another ms25 from the bin of drives he gave me, pop it in.. Perfect.. Xbox boots straight to the home screen, and an audio cd plays..  

So instead of trying to extract the key, I was just gonna swap the board..

Swap the board..  Same Problem... so its the board thats bad...

Ive been searching and I cannot find anything solid, or links that work.. Can somebody outline a easy step by step (im pretty advanced)  on how to pull the key from one, and put it on the working ms25?

Thanks so much

buddy6

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 03:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(XandrewX @ Dec 12 2008, 05:16 AM) *

Im repairing an Xbox for a friend.. He brought me his original Ms25 drive and 3 other ms25s...  

When the xbox loads, it sits on the splash screen for about 60 seconds, then goes to the home screen and says reading, even though there is no disc.  and Eject does not open the drive, or any other buttons to open it...

So I piece together another ms25 from the bin of drives he gave me, pop it in.. Perfect.. Xbox boots straight to the home screen, and an audio cd plays..  

So instead of trying to extract the key, I was just gonna swap the board..

Swap the board..  Same Problem... so its the board thats bad...

Ive been searching and I cannot find anything solid, or links that work.. Can somebody outline a easy step by step (im pretty advanced)  on how to pull the key from one, and put it on the working ms25?

Thanks so much

Read this
Textbook

XandrewX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »

Ok.. So I downloaded DosFlash 1.6 and used the 32 program in Windows.. For some reason my PC will not boot from a USB drive.. just hangs with a blinking _ .  

So I put the original drive in, Read it with dos flash to get the key.  Opened up Firmware tools 4.5 to copy the Key.

Plugged in the second drive.  and wrote the firmware over to it with DosFlash.

It is now playing audio CDs etc.  I did not have any actual games to test on it...

I did try adding his Drive key to the Ixtreme 8x firmware I have (Which sdays MS28 and not 25 when I load it).  IT flashes fine in the program, but will not play games.. just keeps spinning.. Audio CDs play fine.

Am I doing something wrong?  The MS25 doesnt need to be in a special mode to flash?  just power cycle and DosFlash sees it?

Thanks for the help...

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »

is the backup ixtreme compatible? if yes, is it possible that the key you extracted is the wrong key for the console?

i know you said "for a friend", but when it comes to time spent spinning wheels on ghosts of problems with dvd key issues, i do not joke around... if somebody who cannot fix it themselves brought me a console that was not sealed plus 3 extra drives, i would question whether or not the drive was the correct matching drive before wasting any time on it at all. i would get paid for my time before hand too. in other words, this guy could have bought all the drives on ebay, craigslist or wherever and while trying to be mr fixit, may not have kept track of which drive was which. he may not even have the original drive.

i do not have to spell it out(i think), but now that you have flashed this specific key onto one or more of the other pcb's so you have lost potential solutions to this ghost, unless you thought ahead to read the key(s), and archive them, before overwriting.

good luck!

XandrewX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »

Thats what Im thinking that it could be a different drive, but wouldnt it give an error screen?  Im going to try a real game on it after work.. and try to flash it in DOS verus in windows.. I just need to get this damn usb key to boot..

And what do you mean is the backup ixtreme compatible?