xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Leave v79 drive flashable after passkey removal  (Read 58 times)

XmodsUK

• Archived User
Leave v79 drive flashable after passkey removal
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(Antman1 @ May 28 2008, 07:04 PM) View Post

the last link I gave 79 patch will have updated readme.  if you use it make sure to follow podgers directions and use the one that corresponds to your keys address.

Cheers, I have got that. Can't wait to get a 79 in to see it working (not that I'm doubting you!).

OggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »

Podge, Im sorry I couldnt get my v79 to dump as its spoofed as a BenQ but - Im glad your research paid off.

Now, will this shame Maximus/Carranzafp into releasing a 4.7 to incorporate this?

Or has this named and shamed him as a hacker turned money grabber?

I know you honestly believe there isnt a software only solution and doubt it will ever happen, but how many people have left this 79 business up to Maximus/Carranzafp as he has always done us good

IIRC it was only rolling code stopping 78's for so long, but from what I gathered of your email this one bit really is undefeatable software wise.

Keep up the good work though mate wink.gif

cory1492

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 03:22:00 AM »

Antman1: open tray tweak...? I was under the impression slax was the way with this patch (also essentially meaning spoofed drives wouldn't unlock without a key again.)
QUOTE(podger @ May 28 2008, 04:59 AM) *
So basically, if you wanted to change a sector, you should first change the checksum to master checksum, flash your sector, then flash the checksum with the new calculated checksum....

The patched orig.bin (as long as you calculated correctly in toolbox) would be valid as you would generally be restoring from a hacked state with the Master Checksum in place.... There are 2 menu option in Toolbox (patch) and (restore) when you select (restore) it does the chcksum last, (patch) does it first....

I'm not saying what you suggest is wrong...

Basically what I get out of it too, is if you wanted to go from orig.bin directly to orig_hexd.bin one could "restore" it to that? Just wanted to know which quirks of the whole thing was buggering the sense it should have made to me - thanks for the explanation. Thanks for "guinea-pigging" it and showing the rest of us too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I've got good programmers, but that definitely doesn't add up to a good epoxy remover.

This post has been edited by cory1492: May 29 2008, 10:23 AM

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 04:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(cory1492 @ May 29 2008, 09:22 AM) View Post

Basically what I get out of it too, is if you wanted to go from orig.bin directly to orig_hexd.bin one could "restore" it to that? Just wanted to know which quirks of the whole thing was buggering the sense it should have made to me - thanks for the explanation. Thanks for "guinea-pigging" it and showing the rest of us too smile.gif I've got good programmers, but that definitely doesn't add up to a good epoxy remover.

No, I wouldn't risk it, using restore would have the same/opposite problem. Flashing the hex'd sector first would mean the checksum would be wrong..... You just need to accept that changing any sectors with out the Master Checksum set will very likely lead to a bricked drive stuck in recovery mode.... Some sectors are not included in the checksum calculation, I don't have a list, but for instance the sector the Key is in doesn't appear to be included, as flashing the key does flash the checksum

If you just want a "stock" 79 that you can flash... just follow my steps from start to finish...

a. Dump the orig.bin
b. Smart hack (patch) it with the Passkey in place
c. Dump the modded
d. Hexedit it and flash (patch) it.
e. Remove passkey and test, should dump like a 78
f. Hexedit the Orig.bin
g. Open the orig.bin AND VALIDATE the checksum AND accept the changes
h. to be double sure close toolbox and open the hexd_orig again and VALIDATE checksum, it should return OK!
i. Flash this file (restore)

I have done this and I confirm it does work for me, at least!

Antman1

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(cory1492 @ May 29 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

Antman1: open tray tweak...? I was under the impression slax was the way with this patch (also essentially meaning spoofed drives wouldn't unlock without a key again.)

Basically what I get out of it too, is if you wanted to go from orig.bin directly to orig_hexd.bin one could "restore" it to that? Just wanted to know which quirks of the whole thing was buggering the sense it should have made to me - thanks for the explanation. Thanks for "guinea-pigging" it and showing the rest of us too smile.gif I've got good programmers, but that definitely doesn't add up to a good epoxy remover.

Sorry for the long delay in responding.  when the 79 drive is patched to iXtreme1.4 it still puts the modeB Tray tweak in it.  so if you patch to iXtreme1.4 the modeB Tray tweak will still work and if you did the Patch like Podger has setup it works just like the 78 drive.  with original patched like Podger said you have to use Slax

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »

@Antman1/Cory1492

You should give this method a try, just another discovery I made. You can initiate Mode-b from windows with a Via card, other might work also..... if you have other maybe you could port your results...

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=651006

Dre@m

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »

I can confirm, it does work for Hitachi - LG 79FL.
I used 79Patch and 79-4E10.ppf. (My key address @4E10)
Open tray ModeB method works fine for me, after patch.

Nice tut guys...

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »

I can't believe that this discovery hasn't gotten more discussion... Props to podger and Antman1 for making it known.

I know there are a TON of flashed v79 drives out there with no passkey installed.  This simple patch means you won't ever have to bring a soldering iron near your v79 again... and as mentioned, it would be great to see this fix incorporated into Firmware Toolbox 4.7...  wink.gif

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »

Can't really see the guy who sells the Passkey AND writes Toolbox, adding a patch to make it redundant, at least not until his stocks are gone...

Especially as the Passkey website (useless as it is ) reccommends that you disable it and leave it in place for future upgrades in an effort to force there to be one passkey for every 79... Besides that a lot of people report that the drive just doesn't work in the console with the passkey installed coz it keeps putting the drive in Mode-B...

Another problem with the passkey is. it stops working when you spoof the drive. So if you install the passkey then spoof it as a Benq, then that it, no more dumping or flashing, the passkey won't work....

Antman1

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »

Nevermind Check: http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry4319262 for my post
Pages: 1 [2]