xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tutorial To Convert .exe To .xbe Homebrew Games?  (Read 265 times)

kcm117

• Archived User
Tutorial To Convert .exe To .xbe Homebrew Games?
« on: November 24, 2005, 06:56:00 PM »

Does anyone know where i can find a tutorial. or someone willing to help me? i really like a game called little fighter 2, and i wanted to port it to the xbox, lol dont laugh but here's what i tried to do:
i converted the .exe to .xbe with the xbox emulator cxbx and thought it would jsut work.....lol was i wrong!
i wanted to know how i set it up to make it functional to work on the xbox ie. grapics, control's etc.
hopefully someone who's already made a port can help me,

thanks

XBOX War3z

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 03:00:00 AM »

From the Light Fighter 2 FAQ:

Will LF2 be open source ?
   No, we are not planning to do that.

So there is your answer, you won't be able to port this to Xbox.

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »

It's REALLY easy!

Just right click on the file in Windows, delete the EXE extension, and replace it with XBE, that's it!

Entropy42

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(XDelusion @ Nov 25 2005, 07:41 PM) *

It's REALLY easy!

Just right click on the file in Windows, delete the EXE extension, and replace it with XBE, that's it!

Haha, very funny.

To the original poster - EXEs cannot be ported to XBEs.  I see mention of a CXBX conversion tool to convert from EXE to XBE, but that will only work for EXEs that were created initially by CXBX from an XBE in the first place.

To port a PC game to Xbox, engine source for the game is required.  There is no way to do it otherwise, unless you use a binary emulation layer such as WINE or a full machine emulation system such as PearPC (for running MacOS X VERY SLOWLY on an Xbox).

Note that since 3D acceleration is not supported by the Xbox's chipset under Linux, no 3D-accelerated games will work with WINE on the Xbox.  If your game is 2D-only, there's a good chance you could install Linux and use WINE to run the game under Linux.

MasterGHP

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 05:04:00 PM »

OK, assuming you have the source code (as I do for a game I'm making), but you don't exactly have the actual source code.  You know, you use some type of game making program that spits out an exe file and a dat file of all the graphics and sprites and such for the game, is there a way to do it then?  And if so, how?  Or just please point me in the right direction for where to start learning this stuff.

Here's the deal.  I'm making a 2D fighting game using the Games Factory (it's kind of legacy software, I know, but it works well for what we want to do with it).  In the end, it spits out an exe file and a dat file as mentioned above.  I've heard of decompilers (I am familiar with old C++, not Visual C and I know what a compiler is).  Would decompiling this game (it'd be legal since I own and give myself permission) into source and then recompiling it for Xbox work, with the necessary changes such as adding input by way of the xbox controller, work?  And HOW exactly does it get recompiled for xbox to work?  Would that require the XDK or the OpenXDK?  I am not asking to be given these tools, just asking about the method so I can consider doing this for myself.

I thank all useful, non-flame answers in advance.

MasterGHP

ShadowElitePro

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »

Well you will have better luck asking experts at xport. They will no more. Good luck

Brouhaha

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »

No game making software that spit out executables will work on Xbox.  You need to write everything yourself in C/C++ using either the XDK (far more capable for games but illegal) or the OpenXDK (still lacking IMO).

Even if you decompile to assembly, the result still contain windows dependencies. And honestly, it'd be pretty much an utopic dream to try and remove them straight up like that...

Anyway, good luck.

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 06:58:00 PM »

Too bad there is no source on that game... it looks like it might be fun.

crypysmoker

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 11:21:00 PM »

I still think its funny that people think its as easy as just renameing the file.  there was anothe rguy talking about renameing Ps2 games to work on xbox "because it was so easy"

If they are gonna get ported to xbox, they will.

but untill then, take your time and learn how to use c++, visual studio or something to that effect.

at least he asked how to change them and not how to play .exe's on the xbox

This post has been edited by crypysmoker: Dec 3 2005, 07:22 AM

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 03:03:00 AM »

I found this thread to be quite hillarious.

Somewhat similar, but this guy was a jackass...

noselessmonk

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »

LOL that topic link is funny as hell.