xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Benq Reading Problem  (Read 51 times)

alcatone

• Archived User
Benq Reading Problem
« on: April 26, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »

I am sorry for having to ask this question because people ask all the time. I have read and read trying to get my SATA to read the drive. I am using a VT6421A with a BENQ drive. I am using I PREP by booting into DOS with a CD. I cannot boot into with a USB because my BIOS does not have that option. It has removable drives, but does still does not boot from it. It had U3 software but I did unistall that. I have rigged my computer with four harddrives so the wiring is really tight.   I don't want to have to unplug everything  since it will difficult to plug everything in back, but if I have to I will.    When going into BIOS there is no options to disable the drives.   I can disable them in Device Manager from Windows XP.  

Also I have bought two VT6421A cards and when I install one it says the port # is FF0F. When I take that one out and put the other one in it still says port # FF0F in IPREP. Would the port # be both the same for the different cards? I would like to use DOS32 but I don't want to use FLOPPY. Can I use a CD just like I did with IPREP?

The steps I do is boot from my CD. Use the command to mount my harddrive with IPREP. I then get into IPREP. Hit Y to accept terms. Use command dBen 1234567 12345 (my serial#). Hit enter. Says something about Do you want to send MTKFlash until it reads. I hit yes. I brings up FF0F... .I burn xbox on (it stays at FF0F). After a while I turn off, then back on. I repeat this over and over. It nevers changes from FF0F... .Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this BenQ flashed? I have lost school work with my floppy drive before and do not want to risk $350 on that.

alcatone

• Archived User
Benq Reading Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »

Is there anyway of using DOS16 without a USB disk or floppy? This is driving me crazy. I have been searching since November and December to do this. I finally went to do it and cannot get the SATA to read my firmware.

OH, also my VT6421A is under RAID. In my BIOS there is no way of changing to SATA setup, as I have seen other people fix this problem. In my BIOS the only options are boot from a Hard drive (there is a removable boot drive that I suspect may be the USB drive), Removable devices (when I look in these it says a LEGACY FLOPPY MY USB IS A SANDISK), network, and CD drive. In my SCSI setting it has PRIMARY AND SECONDARY for 2 HDs and another under my 2 DVD drives. It does not list my VIA card in there. It is under my control panel in the device manager though, and also this is the only place I can disable HDs and other devices.

I am really just trying for someone to give me some info. that I could try. I am starting to think since this computer is old (1999), that I may not be able to flash on this computer.

This post has been edited by alcatone: Apr 28 2008, 12:29 AM

podger

• Archived User
Benq Reading Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

What size is the USB, larger than 512mb can cause issues....

I also think you may have your power on/off sequence wrong....
the benq should be turned on at the same time you power the PC..... Power it off BEFORE you hit yes and status should be 0x7f, power on benq and status should toggle between 0x51 and 0xD1... power off and status should stay at 0xD1... power on and staTus should go 0x73 and begin to dump...

if status is always 0x7f then the benq is probably not connected to port 0 of the sata card

maddilla

• Archived User
Benq Reading Problem
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(alcatone @ Apr 27 2008, 12:29 AM) *

I am sorry for having to ask this question because people ask all the time. I have read and read trying to get my SATA to read the drive. I am using a VT6421A with a BENQ drive. I am using I PREP by booting into DOS with a CD. I cannot boot into with a USB because my BIOS does not have that option. It has removable drives, but does still does not boot from it. It had U3 software but I did unistall that. I have rigged my computer with four harddrives so the wiring is really tight.   I don't want to have to unplug everything  since it will difficult to plug everything in back, but if I have to I will.    When going into BIOS there is no options to disable the drives.   I can disable them in Device Manager from Windows XP.  
Also I have bought two VT6421A cards and when I install one it says the port # is FF0F. When I take that one out and put the other one in it still says port # FF0F in IPREP. Would the port # be both the same for the different cards? I would like to use DOS32 but I don't want to use FLOPPY. Can I use a CD just like I did with IPREP?
The steps I do is boot from my CD. Use the command to mount my harddrive with IPREP. I then get into IPREP. Hit Y to accept terms. Use command dBen 1234567 12345 (my serial#). Hit enter. Says something about Do you want to send MTKFlash until it reads. I hit yes. I brings up FF0F... .I burn xbox on (it stays at FF0F). After a while I turn off, then back on. I repeat this over and over. It nevers changes from FF0F... .Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this BenQ flashed? I have lost school work with my floppy drive before and do not want to risk $350 on that.

man, i'm having the exact same problem i even went and bought floppys today had to go to like 4 stores... but n e ways it's still staying at that same spot i dont know what to do i've tried it like 40 times differnt ways i freaking have my serial # memerized lol

O yeah what was that bios method u had but dint work for you....? maby it'll work for me

This post has been edited by maddilla: Apr 28 2008, 05:38 AM

alcatone

• Archived User
Benq Reading Problem
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »

I am not sure, but I think I saw in a couple of places somehow they changed a setting to remove the RAID and the computer reads a SATA card. I don't know though. I may be completely wrong about that.

Is it possible that the port I would need is the external port? That is the only one I have not used. I also disconnected all my Hardware except the harddrive and CD drive because I use the CD to boot into DOS and I mount the harddrive for IPREP. I have used both internal ports. I also have tried powering on the 360 and the PC at the same time and then powering down before hitting yes and Vice Versa. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do. I think the problem is in the Bios it does not show my VT6421A card on a secondary or primary. It does not list SATAs in the list of hardware, it only list 2 harddrives and 2 DVD drives.

Since it does not list my VIA in the BIOS, is it still possible to flash? If i connect the IDE to the computer on the chipset, do you think that will make the computer read/see the card any better?

Thanks