xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Trouble Flashing A Spoofed Drive  (Read 46 times)

Wateva

• Archived User
Trouble Flashing A Spoofed Drive
« on: March 05, 2008, 04:24:00 AM »

One user have a MS28 that the laser is dead (practically, it only reads when it wants) and I need to change the drive to a Hitachi 0078FK that I've laying around here (burned the ANA chip - so, the box is dead).

The user didn't want to use backups so, I just spoofed the drive to work as a Samsung MS28.
It's working fine.. but... now the user wants to play backups..
What should I do to make the spoofed drive to be recognizable on Windows again?? I can't seem to make it work with slax since now the drive answers as a Samsung...

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 04:34:00 AM »

That's a strange one.....

You could try and research the "Hot Swap Method", but I doubt it will work..... Textbook mentions it in has tutorial but admits he never got it to work.......

Apart from that you'll have to remove the flash chip and flash in an external programmer.... Once iXtreme is there Mode-B won't be an issue coz you just need to leave the drive open at power on to get it into mode B...

OggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »

This post is not really gonan help, but there IS a way to do it, I done it once before.

I was playing around bored swapping and spoofing drives, dont the exact same 78/28 swap.

I managed to revert it but I tried that many things I cant recall what actually worked.

Just rest assured pulling the SST Chip isnt 100% the only way.

Wateva

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »

removing the tsop isn't an option as I don't have the skills necessary for that nor I have the equipment to do so.

I have no clue how to do "Hot Swap Method".. I've searched the forum but it says only about the XBox1 HD hot swap.. nothing else of notice is found.. The tutorial should include this items so we don't have to die searching.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
--> edit.. found out.. but I don't have any Sata VD-Rom on my PC... So, I guess that's a no for me..

FYI, I do have the original FW of the hitachi too, so I can always flash it back IF someone can teach me how to make the spoofed 78FK go back into modeB..

Btw, I have an Infectus 079Key.. And I'll be receiving the Maximus Passkey soon too.. Would they work??
It's a long shot, but... I think those 2 are just for the 079 drives and won't work on the 078 ones.. Who knows? ^^

Edit: Btw, I've read this: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=621757 but I can't make it work for 078 drives.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Edit 2: I wonder.. Can I make the "hot swap" with the old MS28?
What I mean is.. Have the MS28 on the 360, put it on 0800 (I can just flash it with 0800 anyway), remove the power from the drive + sata (remember, it's on the 360) and plug the Hitachi?? I wonder if I'll f**k up the 360..

This post has been edited by Wateva: Mar 5 2008, 03:35 PM

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »

That link doesn't say how to get into Mode B, which is your problem anyway.. probably uses the 2 wire trick....

According to the tutorial on the "Hot Swap Method" you can use and drive the shows up as drive in windows, so an Ms28 with old firmware in 0800 mode should be a canditate... Again I don't think it will work anyway.....

Are you definaterly using the latest version of Slax .... 2.1

Wateva

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »

care to elaborate the 2 wire trick?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

anyway, I can try the hotswap now cuz I have 2 XBox here.. One is a 79FL and I've just installed the Infectus 079Key.. so I bet I can make it into modeb... I wonder if I can make the hotswap that way.. ^^

Edit: yes. 2.1.. as always.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) since it came out.

This post has been edited by Wateva: Mar 5 2008, 04:28 PM

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »

Forget the 2 wire trick it won't work on a 78....

But like i said the hot swap may not work.....

What might work is if you have the 79 and connect to the PC before you start with a Slax CD... Once Bios recognises the 79 hot swap for the 78/ms28.... I reckon slax should Mode-B it if it thinks there is a 79 connected....

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Wateva @ Mar 5 2008, 01:00 PM) *

I can't seem to make it work with slax since now the drive answers as a Samsung...

The drive is still a Hitachi drive. It is not as Samsung and it does not have a Samsung firmware. Since the drive still has the Hitachi 78 firmware on it that is how the PC still sees it.

Only thing spoofing does is change a few bits of code to make the 360 think it is something that it is not. That should have no affect on how it operates on a PC.

OggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Mar 5 2008, 07:41 PM) *

The drive is still a Hitachi drive. It is not as Samsung and it does not have a Samsung firmware. Since the drive still has the Hitachi 78 firmware on it that is how the PC still sees it.

Only thing spoofing does is change a few bits of code to make the 360 think it is something that it is not. That should have no affect on how it operates on a PC.

Unfortuantely, the PC doesnt see them as Hitachi 3120's anymore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »

@Ranger72

I was certain you were mistaken on this one... So, for the sake of arguement I tested it with my 47 in the knowledge that the ole 2 wire trick would see me right... Sure enough with the drive spoof as an MS28 it shows up as a samsung in windows and in the bios..... Slax sees it the same way and doesn't work either....

Of course none of this helps Wateva... the question is does slax get it's data from Bios of does it scan the bus itself, I thinking the latter, which means my suggestion about hot swapping a the 78/ms28 with a 79 after the bios has detected the 79, probably won't work, but it might be worth a try..... You'll just have to send it off to be programmed in a programmer.....

This post has been edited by podger: Mar 6 2008, 01:19 AM

Wateva

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(podger @ Mar 5 2008, 09:54 PM) *
You'll just have to send it off to be programmed in a programmer.....

That's my final option.. Can't "hot swap" cuz Slax uses the bus, not the bios.. on bios, Hitachi, on Slax, Samsung..

I'm out of options here..

Sorry for the delay on posting but I had to go to work..

Anyway, I've tried to use iPrep to "prep" a floppy with a samsung firmware (I was trying to dump the hitachi and I was going to see if Toolbox recognized it so I would just "reflash it") but, as usual, I was getting "Status: 51, Should be 70"...

Can we edit mtkflash to try to dl the fw? even tho it's not on modeb?
I'll be getting 2 tsops out tomorrow cuz I do need those 2 to be fixed asap..

Since we can 'force' a hitachi into modeb with linux, couldn't "Kev.nu" (who ever he/they is/are), or anyone else for that matter, ignore the "samsung" and send the modeb command??
This would be a very nice feature for our "Slax 2.2".. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »

I am not sure why it is not working for you but I am sure I have updated firmware on Hitachi drives spoofed as Samsung by using Slax.

I have done countless hundreds of drives so I am sure I have come across this before but I could be wrong. But there should be a simple solution to this problem I would think.

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 02:19:00 AM »

@Ranger

Me too, but i'd always put iXtreme on also, so getting into mode b afterwards is easy, just leave tray open...

The problem is, he spoofed a stock firmware, and the only way to mode B is slax, but slax doesn't recognise the drive....

Wateva

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(podger @ Mar 6 2008, 06:55 AM) *

@Ranger

Me too, but i'd always put iXtreme on also, so getting into mode b afterwards is easy, just leave tray open...

The problem is, he spoofed a stock firmware, and the only way to mode B is slax, but slax doesn't recognise the drive....
The one thing I hate the most about customers is that they tend to 'change' their mind after the 'fix' is done.. Now I can't get into ModeB using the "open tray/shutdown".. I wish Slax could recognize the drive as an hitachi just like the bios recognizes it.. Maybe using Slax 2.0?!?!?

Edit: Would a Maximus Passkey or an Infectus 079Key put a 78 into modeb??

This post has been edited by Wateva: Mar 6 2008, 03:45 PM

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »

So your bios reports a Hitachi ????

Strange mine said MS28 when I spoofed it and reportes as and MS28 in Windows also.....

I wonder what would happen with USB to Sata, do you have one, does slax support it?

How desperate are you ? saw this a few weeks ago... Sounds very dodgie....

This post has been edited by podger: Mar 6 2008, 04:52 PM