xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ms28 Bad Flash Method W/via, Now E65 And No Eject  (Read 136 times)

UrbanRiot

• Archived User
Ms28 Bad Flash Method W/via, Now E65 And No Eject
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »

Like another guy recently posted, I have an E65 error after what I thought was a successful 'bad flash' method flash. I booted off my iprep'd USB flash disc, made a successful backup with dSam, then wrote the hacked flash with fSam, everything said "Ok!" and to reboot my PC.

I hooked up the Xbox 360, I get a split second of Xbox 360 animation before it flashes the right corner red light and displays an E65 error.

I've hooked the drive back up to my PC and I can see the Ixtreme drive off my VIA PCI card, as I did when I successfully flashed it, however the bad flash 10-15 second wait doesn't seem to be working now...

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I've tried a few other power off timed waits and it just won't start the flash again...

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Possibly disregard issue... I was able to restore original firmware after about 20 times, eventually after power on / power off 10s it picked it up.
... now to figure out why the hacked firmware didn't function...

This post has been edited by UrbanRiot: Feb 8 2008, 08:19 AM

UrbanRiot

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:36:00 AM »

Put back original firmware... everything seems okay.

Put back hacked firmware, same issue... flashing right corner lights. Loaded up the original and the hacked firmware in 360 firmware toolbox, and the keys check out.

What could be my issue?  Thanks in advance!

UrbanRiot

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »

hrm, i also can't seem to 'catch' it again to reflash my good backup on it. this is very frustrating!  blink.gif

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »

Sounds like iPrep just didnt copy your orginal firmware key to the hacked firmware.

After creating your hacked firmware, load it into Firmware Toolbox. See if it has copied your original firmware key to it. If it did not, it should show the key as being FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Simply copy the key from the original firmware to the hacked one and save the file in Firmware Toolbox. Then re-flash the drive with the 'new' hacked firmware and all should be fine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Edit: Just a reminder, whenever you read/backup your drives original firmware... always check it in Firmware Toolbox to make sure the firmware is valid and does infact have the drives key. If it doesn't then its of no use to you and flashing a drive without your key being backed up somewhere safe is very risky business. Ya never know what could go wrong and when u might need that key to undo anything that otherwise couldnt be fixed without it.

This post has been edited by Bubbalynch: Feb 8 2008, 09:04 AM

UrbanRiot

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bubbalynch @ Feb 8 2008, 09:34 AM) View Post

Sounds like iPrep just didnt copy your orginal firmware key to the hacked firmware.

I think you are completely right... I followed the tutorials and instructions completely, however I realized I don't think I saw the firmtool app running on my dumped firmware.

However, I'm now stuck with a different problem... i've learned that restoring 'good' original firmware is considerably more difficult than initially reading good firmware, and dumping hacked firmware onto a good flash, because after 30 tries, varying seconds, off on, cursing, voodoo, an hour of turning off / on pc and xbox I finally restored the good original firmware. Then tried reflashing my firmware hacked original and now I have the same problem as before (E65).

So now I've got to try to restore original again... is there any reproducible method of restoring original firmware onto a badly flashed drive other than trying a million times?

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »

Nope, same process as flashing it. Only this time your flashing it with your original firmware and not the hacked one.

My sudgestion is walk away from it for a few hours, clear your head and get your nerves settled. Come back to it and whoop its ass on the first try.

You would be suprised what giving yourself a break from something like this can do when trying to accomplish your goal.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Edit: Also, with the 10 sec trick, its not so much that you have to time it at the exact count of 10 but that you have 10 secs to get it done before it doesnt allow you to do it anymore. I have tried this method and it does work sometimes. The whole thing with "catch it at exactly the 10th second" works but isnt always the case. Sometimes its just catching it within 10 seconds.

This post has been edited by Bubbalynch: Feb 8 2008, 09:48 AM

UrbanRiot

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:14:00 AM »

Can you explain what it is I'm waiting for? I read lots of tutorials that say wait 10-15 seconds, but I don't understand exactly what it is I'm waiting on.

When I turn the Xbox 360 off, it takes about 4 seconds to fully power down (despite the lights going off). During this shutdown, the unit can't be immediately started up. Does this few seconds count as part of the countdown?

I've also noticed a couple times, I was able to run firmware flashes without waiting on anything... that is to say, I selected my drive without the power down / power up and it just started flashing. In fact, once it caused me a problem because I'd started the flash when the unit was powered off, but it was still really on and shutting down, so it quit 56% into the flash.

Thanks for your responses!!

Oh, and, I also wanted to add I've managed to get the original firmware back on the unit... my new problem is mtkflash w /m /sata ix14.bin immediately jumps to erasing.....00% whether the drive's on or off. Is this also related to a timing issue? If i get it right, will that 00% start climbing? Or is there another issue here?

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 02:22:00 AM »

Reading tutorials can only do so much for ya. Sometimes it just takes being able to see it being done by someone else.

Heres a very good video tutorial of the entire process. I sudgest you bookmark it for future reference as I did when I first started getting into this mess, lolz.

Keep in mind this tut is about using Xtreme Boot Maker but just disregard the software he is using and watch how he is actually doing the procedure. iPrep is still far better than Xtreme Boot Maker so I do sudgest you continue to use that.

And I also sudgest you download Textbooks .PDF tutorial titled "Hacking The Xbox 360 For Noobs" [2008 Edition] Its like the holy grail of flashing tuts out there and will really help you understand the details of all this if you havent already read it.

Heres the links to the video tuts.

http://www.360mods.n...cle/sid=63.html  <--Bad Flash method - MS28 (shorter video)

http://www.360mods.n...cle/sid=58.html  <--Regular method - MS25 (longer more in depth video)

http://www.360mods.n...ails/id=61.html  <-- Textbooks 360 Flashing .pdf tutorial (Excellent tut)

UrbanRiot

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »

Okay, so, overwhelming success, I now have hacked firmware on this unit. Ugh!  I'm still interested in a few answers to my questions, because a LOT of this seemed to be completely random, even when I thought I had the hang of it. Thanks again!

OggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 05:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(UrbanRiot @ Feb 8 2008, 09:59 AM) View Post

Okay, so, overwhelming success, I now have hacked firmware on this unit. Ugh!  I'm still interested in a few answers to my questions, because a LOT of this seemed to be completely random, even when I thought I had the hang of it. Thanks again!

The problem you may have been facing is with the xbox needin so long to power down.

I dont use the 360 for power but I think it was:

At the port selection screen, power down 360

Wait 10 seconds

Choose port

count to 6/7 secs and power on 360.

UrbanRiot

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(OggyUK @ Feb 8 2008, 01:47 PM) *

The problem you may have been facing is with the xbox needin so long to power down.

I think you're right too, and why my success differed with recovering after a bad flas, vs. a good flash. When I was flashing the unit originally, I think it powered off immediately... when it had the bad flash on it, I think it was taking longer to shut down. So, 10s was fine with the 'good flashing' and about 10s after the unit fully powered down was fine with the 'bad flashing'.

I think a LOT of people had this same problem, judging by all the forum threads I picked up googling. Unit works great, thanks for replying guys! ms28's are a pain in the neck, but should be easier next time!

boberto

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »

I have the same problem you had, so i am going to give it another shot this weekend.  I was able to get an original dump of my ms28 using iprep (dsam 1234567 12345) fine.  I saved my sam-ofw.bin file in several places and double checked my key in the toolbox.  It was fine.  I injected it into the new firmware and tried to flash new fw using fsam 1234567 12345 command.  I tried for hours and could not get it to re flash.  Always froze then i hit escape and it said "status=00, should be 70".  Finally i figured i would try the VCC method as a last resort.  When i did it this way it froze but said "status=80, should be 70".  If i leave the switch on and try to flash it it says "updating 00%" and stays there.  I have read that the mtkflash command is better then the fsam.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could be doing wrong?

UrbanRiot

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(boberto @ Feb 8 2008, 08:10 PM) View Post
I have read that the mtkflash command is better then the fsam.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could be doing wrong?

fSam.bat is a batch file that invokes mtkflash... it's an automated process, that does a little extra work for you. I think, with the updating 00%, that you might be having the same issue as me, and that the 360 isn't fully shut down before you invoke the command... not sure, of course, just guessing based on experience.  

OggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 03:43:00 AM »

Sounds to me like your not understanding the 10 second trick boberto.

At the port selection screen

Power off 360 - wait about 10 seconds for 360 to completelyshut down (not 100% essential, but it can make a difference)

Choose port

You will get a bit of code (cant recall what it says port=xxxx or something)

Upon seeing that, count to 7 and power on drive.

boberto

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »

do i count to 10 after it turns yellow, or from when i press the button?
Pages: [1] 2