xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problems Reflashing With V79fl And Passkey - Help!  (Read 49 times)

Questi4110

• Archived User
Problems Reflashing With V79fl And Passkey - Help!
« on: December 30, 2007, 02:37:00 AM »

Before I begin, I want to say to please only remove this post if it is illegal (do not ban me because I have seen other people post this stuff also).

Anyway, my friend has a v79FL hitachi drive (I do the work for him as a favor so everything I describe is in his drive).

He bought the passkey and got someone to install it a while ago. I flashed the drive to Ixtreme 1.2 correctly and it worked. I used his motherboard's SATA port to flash the drive using FWToolbox. I saved the original fw as original.bin (this is what I will refer to it as later on).

Now, he wanted to upgrade to Ixtreme 1.4 so I decided to hook the drive back up to his motherboard like I did before and get it into ModeB using the slax 2.1 cd (just like before). The drive was detected in windows so I continued with the process.

I opened up the newest FWToolbox (46) and I opened the original fw (original.bin). I clicked on differential flash restore to restore the drive back to the original fw before flashing to ixtreme 1.4.

I clicked on "Read and detect differences" I got this message: "I can see a lot of differences, make sure you know what you are doing before flash".

I continued anyway and clicked yes to the question that popped up: "Do you want to keep the keys already on the drive".

The process started but for all the sectors, this message popped up: "Verify step failed for sector XXXXX". It asked me if I wanted to retry or skip and I hit retry but the same message popped up so I hit skip for all the remaining sectors.

So then I go to do a direct drive dump (first part of flashing to ixtreme 1.4) and click on raw dump. It asks me if I want to check the checksum and nothing really happens but I notice that the checksum is 00000000. (I'm assuming this is not a valid checksum but I did not know that at first).

So then I click on smart hack patcher but when I click on generate file, an error pops up (can't remember the problem but just know that it did not do anything).

I reboot the computer and and try many times but the same exact problem occurs (starts with the sectors showing way off).

I take the xbox back to my house and try it on my via vt6421 chipset and this time, FWToolbox can not read the drive 90% of the time and when it does, the same problems occur.

I have not tested the drive to see if it can play original games after all this yet.

Please help, I am lost as to what is happening.

I have noticed other individuals with the passkey have a similar problem but I have searched and not found a solution yet.

Do I have to remove the passkey to get this to work? Is the passkey loose or something (how do I check)? Did I brick the drive? What is the solution?

THANKS

Questi4110

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »

bump

kingpip

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »

you need to flash the toss chip wit a programer m8ty that will sort it out had 1 the same just the outher day

tennisball

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »

forgive me if i am wrong but do you not have to use the restore.bat to unstealth the drives firmware first?

I remember trying to detect differences without restoring once and firmware toolbox couldnt see the firmware. I havnt done a 79 yet so dont know if they are different.

This post has been edited by tennisball: Dec 31 2007, 12:42 AM

Questi4110

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(tennisball @ Dec 30 2007, 11:41 PM) *

forgive me if i am wrong but do you not have to use the restore.bat to unstealth the drives firmware first?

I remember trying to detect differences without restoring once and firmware toolbox couldnt see the firmware. I havnt done a 79 yet so dont know if they are different.

Oh, I don't know if you need to use that or not but I did try that before I tried toolbox but restore.bat said that it could not find the drive (even though it is clearly visible in windows) so I'm still stuck.

THANKS

rudra

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »

I had the same problem when i was trying to update to Ixtreme 1.4(from Ixtreme 1.2) . I was using FWToolbox 4.6. When I tried to do a differential flash restore to restore the drive back to the original fw I got "I can see a lot of differences, make sure you know what you are doing before flash". I used slax 2.0 to put the drive in ModeB and took a few tries (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)  before FWToolbox could do the restore. I used my onboard SATA (intel 945P chipset) and a xecuter connectivity kit NE.

1. Put the drive in to ModeB with Slax 2.0(tried with slax 2.1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  and gave up)
2. eject the drive tray at windows startup logo
3. used halo3 and manually closed the tray.,
4. took a few tries(remove the drive from device manager and scan for hardware change) before I could get FWtoolbox to do a restore without complaining about lot of differences.

hope it helps you bro

Questi4110

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(rudra @ Dec 31 2007, 05:00 AM) *

I had the same problem when i was trying to update to Ixtreme 1.4(from Ixtreme 1.2) . I was using FWToolbox 4.6. When I tried to do a differential flash restore to restore the drive back to the original fw I got "I can see a lot of differences, make sure you know what you are doing before flash". I used slax 2.0 to put the drive in ModeB and took a few tries (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)  before FWToolbox could do the restore. I used my onboard SATA (intel 945P chipset) and a xecuter connectivity kit NE.

1. Put the drive in to ModeB with Slax 2.0(tried with slax 2.1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  and gave up)
2. eject the drive tray at windows startup logo
3. used halo3 and manually closed the tray.,
4. took a few tries(remove the drive from device manager and scan for hardware change) before I could get FWtoolbox to do a restore without complaining about lot of differences.

hope it helps you bro

Alright, thanks for the help, will try in a little bit.

Only problems are that I don't have the xecuter connectivity kit NE and I'm using rainbow six (I don't know if that matters). The drive also seems to get into ModeB fine for me but i'll still try it out and give an update soon.

THANKS

rudra

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 02:50:00 AM »

my understanding  is that any original game will do the job. (i use halo3 , call me superstitious). the connectivity kit should not matter. I am too lazy to crack open the unit. all the best mate