xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rock Band Update Makes Backup Disc Unreadable?  (Read 67 times)

XmdawgX

• Archived User
Rock Band Update Makes Backup Disc Unreadable?
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

I have an original copy of Rock Band and a backup copy.  The other day I went to play the game and it said an update was required.  So as usual, i let it install.  After that, I'm getting read errors everywhere.  I've tried reburning the game thinking the disc was just messed up or scratched or something, but it appears that isnt the problem.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Also as a side note, my drive likes to report these discs im using as unreadable most of the time.  someone told me its because the media is 8x compatible.  but the first half of the discs i used worked fine.  now all of them are having problems booting, but once they get into the game, they work fine.   rock band however, does not.  i get "This disc is unreadable" sometimes in the middle of songs, or even when im just sitting idle on the menus.

RRoD420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(XmdawgX @ Dec 6 2007, 04:00 PM) *

I have an original copy of Rock Band and a backup copy.  The other day I went to play the game and it said an update was required.  So as usual, i let it install.  After that, I'm getting read errors everywhere.  I've tried reburning the game thinking the disc was just messed up or scratched or something, but it appears that isnt the problem.
Anyone have any idea what might be going on?
Also as a side note, my drive likes to report these discs im using as unreadable most of the time.  someone told me its because the media is 8x compatible.  but the first half of the discs i used worked fine.  now all of them are having problems booting, but once they get into the game, they work fine.   rock band however, does not.  i get "This disc is unreadable" sometimes in the middle of songs, or even when im just sitting idle on the menus.

Burn the disc SLOWW - 2x, it makes all the difference.

XmdawgX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(RRoD420 @ Dec 6 2007, 04:08 PM) *

Burn the disc SLOWW - 2x, it makes all the difference.

Thats how fast i burnt it..

infact, thats as fast as my burner goes.

Spartiku5

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »

Does it get the dick unreadable slide in error all the time or just at random intervals? if its all the time try the game without the hard drive and see if that makes a differance

XmdawgX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(Spartiku5 @ Dec 6 2007, 10:36 PM) *

Does it get the dick unreadable slide in error all the time or just at random intervals? if its all the time try the game without the hard drive and see if that makes a differance

Alright.  If i can get this stupid media to read.  I'll try that though.  If that fixes the error, then im guessing the update might have caused it?  If so, then im also assuming i did something wrong when i backed the game up?  And if I cant fix it, is it possible to delete the update?

Slimsey

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

You can delete the updates by Flushing your Xbox Cache.
To perform the function, access 'memory' in the system blade, and then highlight the hard drive. Now press: Y, X, X, LB, RB, X, X. The following message should appear: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"
If you initiate maintenance, the hard drive's cache will be cleared, including all software updates. (Not Dashboard updates)

Just my 2c worth....From what I've read in the past, burning slow isn't neccessarily better. The ink in the Disc reacts to the laser when burning. And if a disk is 8x, then the ink will react best at 8x. Slower or faster may cause the image to be worse.
Having said all that, I've tried a bunch of different media and Verbatim has always worked for me flawlessly. It's a little pricey, but in the long run well worth it.

Toddler

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »

Also, if your burner's max speed is 2x, your burner might not be the best burner.  A good burner makes a huge difference.

cypher21

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Toddler @ Dec 7 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Also, if your burner's max speed is 2x, your burner might not be the best burner.  A good burner makes a huge difference.

True,

See if there's a firmware update for your burner, this might solve some things.
Also, you didn't mention the media you are using, but try verbatims (if you're not using those already)