xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Update on recent bannings, altered C/R timer, affects Kreon rips  (Read 1681 times)

jooksingjai77

• Archived User
Update on recent bannings, altered C/R timer, affects Kreon rips
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »

orange box good ss
assassins creed good ss

maybe it has to do with the fw of the kreon?  mine is at 1.0

ranova

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »

This is pure speculation:

MS probably only selected a random few players with bad CRC info or bad SS kreon backups and banned them during that first wave a few weeks back. They only banned a "few" people to test out their theory to make sure no one with an unmodified 360 was banned. By limiting it to a selected group, it saves their asses if only a few unmodified 360s get banned as it probably won't hit the news.

I haven't heard of any "legit" 360s getting banned during that wave (other than people lying that they did), so if MS deems that ban wave as a successful theory in banning, they will release a bigger bomb soon (probably the 4th). For those of you who have already played a "bad backup," its probably already too late, as they probably have already tagged you and awaiting to release the big nuke.

And if none of this is true, by releasing this Kreon information, MS just gained new ideas on how to detect bad backups, so its already a lose\lose situation for us and will likely be reripping our backups and reburning.

End of speculation

This post has been edited by ranova: Dec 3 2007, 08:45 AM

Nailed

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(bestever24 @ Dec 3 2007, 06:16 AM) View Post

some folks escaped the first ban wave and this is essentially banning based on the same bad information

i believe M$ had to change something, as only newer games are giving bad rips

Or perhaps it's the latest Kreon firmware that had the bug in it?

Btw, I escaped both waves and did have some games with the bad bytes.  Perhaps they weren't checking for it and I got lucky, or next time around, I'll get the hammer.  Oh well.  smile.gif

Oh... and here's my speculation.  MS bans before large upgrades to reduce bandwidth and upgrade troubleshooting.  I doubt anything will happen on the 4th, but I suspect next spring, we'll get the 3rd hammer.

QUOTE(ZakMcRofl @ Dec 3 2007, 07:19 AM) View Post

As with every other ban-related thread, I wonder why all the people post "not banned"-information. It does not mean anything that people are NOT banned.
They could be flagged for banning, they could have been lucky, we simply don't know at this point.

I completely disagree... knowing the details of individuals who are not banned is equally as relevant as knowing those who are.

Killi

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(ranova @ Dec 2 2007, 11:30 PM) View Post

This is pure speculation:

MS probably only selected a random few players with bad CRC info or bad SS kreon backups and banned them during that first wave. They only did a few people to test out their theory to make sure no one without a hacked 360 was banned (or those who didn't play a bad rip)).

I haven't heard of any "legit" 360s getting banned during that wave (other than people lying that they did), so if MS deems that ban wave as a successful theory in banning, they will release a bigger bomb soon (probably the 4th). Those of you who have played a release with a bad backup, its already too late, they probably have already tagged you and awaiting to release the nuke.

And if none of this is true, by releasing this kreon information, you just gave MS an idea on how to check for backup copies.

End of speculation

if anyone thinks that even for a second, that MS is finding out about this from posting this information, then they are definitely not aware of how this works.  The C/R of the dvd drive is the fundamental authentication method for all disks to play in the 360.  Any alteration or failed response to any 360 dvd rom challenge, is the first and foremost method of identifying non retail disks being used.  The fact that kreon failed on some instances is likely the exact reason the bannings happened.  These errors ranged from individual releases to scene releases, and even the most cautious users got hit.  

I agree with you that those that didnt get hit, were just fortunate to not have been in the test wave when the hammer was dropped, and that after analyzing their data, it should become a new standard practice.  Especially with the update next week. (specualtion on my part obviosuly as well)

I have 3 xbox 360s.  one got banned, and i can identify that only this one box played my backups that my testing show any bad SS rips. 2 of 15 games it played show bad SS.bin data from kreon rips.  The other 2 boxes have played some shared games, but none of the ones that i have identified as bad ss files.  (just random luck i guess)

Great findings from the power that be, and i thank them for shedding light on the cause of all this.

soundoffmonte

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »

Ok I got banned.

Only backup i played before ban with bad ss was rock band.

I have bad ss on:
Mass Effect
Orange Box

All other where fine i was logged into xbox live but didn't ever play a backup online.

Played Rock Band the night before I got banned.

afroscherer

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 01:11:00 AM »

ok i have a Samsung SH-D162C TS04 (kreon 0.81) and these are backups from it.

good ss:
all pro football 2k8
bioshock
dirt
godfather: the game
graw 2
madden08
mass effect
ncaa 08
hl2: orange box
pgr4
splinter cell double agent
wwe raw vs smackdown 08

no bad ss

not banned

hecz

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »

bad ss:

mass effect - not played live

orange box -  played live

lego starwars tcs -  played live

not banned

mlapaglia

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 01:25:00 AM »

Backed up with the kreon firmware.

GOOD:
guitar hero 3
kayne & lynch
call of duty 4
perfect dark zero
call of duty 4

BAD:
college hoops 2008
rock band
halo 3
the orange box

i play all of these games on 3 different xbox 360's, all running the latest firmware.
none of them are banned. all played on xbox live as well.

This post has been edited by mlapaglia: Dec 3 2007, 09:25 AM

ryanmp32

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »

Of the previously listed games, I have the following:

Halo 3
Call of Duty 4

Each of these have been checked and have a Good SS per KreonChecker.

I have been playing online recently, and have NOT been banned as of yet.

**I will be checking the rest of my game database soon to see if I have any with bad SS.

baberg

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(Killi @ Dec 3 2007, 02:44 AM) View Post

I have 3 xbox 360s.  one got banned, and i can identify that only this one box played my backups that my testing show any bad SS rips. 2 of 15 games it played show bad SS.bin data from kreon rips.  The other 2 boxes have played some shared games, but none of the ones that i have identified as bad ss files.  (just random luck i guess)

That's a data goldmine right there.  Just the kind of thing we've been looking for.

Which two Kreon-defective games were played on this banned 360?

sekone

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »

check 24 games backed up with the kreon firmware

these are the bad

mass effect
rock band
lego star wars tcs
the orange box

all of which have been booted on a non banned box

will check more and update

SomeDudeWhack

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »

Ive got a few that are bad, but never played the backups... only the originals... so il leave those out....

the only backups that were used was COD4 and Halo 3... both checked good and i have NOT been banned...

beginning to think this theory is true

chemicalthunder

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2007, 01:56:00 AM »

Halo 3 - Bad Rip

PGR-4 - Good Rip
Sega Rally - Good Rip
Forza- Good rip

Drive - SHd162C TS04

Not Banned.

HackMy360

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »

Banned with xtreme 1.6

Checked

COD4 only game played online
FIFA 08
SKATE all checked good SS using kreon 0.81

Maybe they are checking the IP addresses of people those who download of those sites then when you
log on to live they ban you based on your IP address??? just another possibility   unsure.gif  unsure.gif

just3847

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2007, 01:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(HackMy360 @ Dec 3 2007, 04:07 AM) View Post

Banned with xtreme 1.6

Checked

COD4 only game played online
FIFA 08
SKATE all checked good SS using kreon 0.81

well this right here blows this possibility right out of the water then, no? According to him, he was banned and never touched the system with a backup that has a bad SS. So then that can't be the flaw right??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24