xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hitachi 47dj Nightmare  (Read 49 times)

danooch13

• Archived User
Hitachi 47dj Nightmare
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »

Bear with me with this story.  I have been reading Xbox scene for a long time now and never had problems with the XBOX360's, but after last night I had to tell this story and get some ideas.

The 360 I was working on was one of the original models, with a hitachi 47dj.  Before it was "done", it had the three red lights of death, and was sent to microsoft and repaired.  It was played on normally without any problems after being fixed for about two months.  Last night, I was asked to "do it".  So I said oh ok Hitachi no problem.  The last time I did a Hitachi, I was using another computer which I dont have anymore with onboard sata.  Everything went great.  With this one, I was using the VIA6421a card, and ixtreme 1.2 rev 2.  It was working great before hand after coming back from microsoft, non-modded etc.  I opened it up and hooked it up the the via card.  I know it was able to see it, so that was not the problem.  I just could not get Slax 2.1 to see the drive, so I read around because I never did a hitachi on the 6421 card.  They said how to get it to be recognized with slax so I did it.  The drive said in modeb thanks kev.nu! or something like that.  But then it never got to the slax 2.1 login screen.  It was just hanging at something like "sata at 1.5gbps".  So because I never had any other problems with these things, I just rebooted the computer into windows.  I had to push the open button two times to get it to open, so I knew it was in modeb.  The other weird thing though was it would never stay closed.  I got it into windows, and it was recognized it device manager and given a drive letter G:.  So I said alright, everything looks good.  So I went ahead and performed the usual flash with ixtreme 1.2 rev 2, and and everything checked out ok.  It flashed perfectly created the backups was.bin, now.bin etc.  I thought I was in the clear.  So, I turned off the computer then the xbox.  I went over to the tv hooked it up, and tried one of my backups that I know works.  The xbox said unplayable disc on the dash.  So I was like damn, what went wrong now.  I took out the game, and was going to attempt to put an original in, but when I turned it on, it had 3 red lights of death, and would not go to the dash board.  It had an error code of 0102, which because no video comes up makes me think it is the gpu.  

So thats my story, and I guess my questions are.
1. How do you modeb the hitachi (any hitachi-other than 78 and 79 which I will never do) with slax 2.1 and via6421a, just to see if I am right?
2. Why did slax hang at "sata at 1.5gbps" after stating "drive in modeb thanks kev.nu!"?
3. Why wouldnt the drive stay closed after pushing the button twice to open it?
4. Why would the flash go through successfully, it is an automated process, then say unplayable disc?
5. Where do the three red lights come into play, I know is possible that I caused it, but did I?
6. This console I think is bricked, Microsoft wont fix it if the seal is broken and the firmware is changed...right?

Please shed some light.....

Thanks

danooch13

• Archived User
Hitachi 47dj Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »

Ok. It was not the drive, it was a coincidence.

After flashing the drive, it just so happend that the heat sink for the gpu was not sufficiently attached.  It caused the error 0102 after flashing which made me think the drive was the problem, but it was'nt.  

After a quick x-clamp replacement to attach the heatsinks "better" to the processors, everything was perfect.

Thanks for all your ideas.