xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help With Flashing Benq Vad6038  (Read 97 times)

Agent Orange

• Archived User
Help With Flashing Benq Vad6038
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »

Hey guys. I've been working on this since yesterday, and I'm at wits end trying to get through flashing this drive. As of right now, I am able to read the drive's firmware via dosflash, but the result is something incorrect, because Firmtool keps giving me a "no valid version found in orig.bin!!!" error message when I try to create he hacked firmware. I can't seem to find any info about this message...

So a bit about my setup, I have 2 Nforce based Systems, one is Nforce 3 250gb, one is Nforce 680i. I'm currently reading the drive on the Nforce 6 system because it would hang at reading bank 0 on the other one. (yes I unplugged and disabled all other devices in the bios) Either way, all of the tutorials I've read have listed Nforce controller as compatible for flashing/dumping with this drive.

I also tried dosflash 32 which also hangs at reading bank 0

I've been using the ports listed by dosflash, as in the process of working on this my windows installation got corrupted, and so did the partitions on my drive, so now I can't even use the windows install disk to reformat the drive...

I'm not lucky enough to have a VIA SATA card readily available, so I don't know what else I can do...

any help is appreciated.

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Agent Orange @ Nov 13 2007, 08:19 PM) *
Firmtool keps giving me a "no valid version found in orig.bin!!!" error message when I try to create he hacked firmware.

You can double check your firmware in hex, using this tutorial.  To get that error with firmtool, you'd have to have a completely new firmware revision from what we have seen thus far, or have a corrupt/badly dumped firmware.  It sounds like you may be having some system specific errors with dosflash.  Have you gone through and read the Dosflash v1.3 thread for others in a similar situation?  

Sorry i can't be more helpful,

Caster.

zevdogs

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

this happened to me on the first try....turns out i wasnt reading the benqs drive it was one of my DVD drives in my pc

use iprep to find your right port

This post has been edited by zevdogs: Nov 14 2007, 04:04 AM

Agent Orange

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(caster420 @ Nov 14 2007, 03:12 AM) *

You can double check your firmware in hex, using this tutorial.  To get that error with firmtool, you'd have to have a completely new firmware revision from what we have seen thus far, or have a corrupt/badly dumped firmware.  It sounds like you may be having some system specific errors with dosflash.  Have you gone through and read the Dosflash v1.3 thread for others in a similar situation?  

Sorry i can't be more helpful,

Caster.

Thanks. It looks like it was actually corrupt. I got a new box today, and I got it to dump the firmware properly. When I ran firmtool, though it appeared to run correctly, but did not create the resultant "benq-ix.bin" file. I ran it again with the same results. For some reason in windows I'm getting a "system cannot execute specified program" error when running firmtool...

Any ideas? I'm so close  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

EDIT: it looks like I only have the windows error using the "make ixtreme firmware" cmd files from the BenQ iXtreme Multispeed 1.1 package from xbins. I just tried the BenQ 1.1 rev2 files, and it worked fine...

This post has been edited by Agent Orange: Nov 14 2007, 06:55 AM

sportsgamer1984

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Agent Orange @ Nov 14 2007, 06:48 AM) *

Thanks. It looks like it was actually corrupt. I got a new box today, and I got it to dump the firmware properly. When I ran firmtool, though it appeared to run correctly, but did not create the resultant "benq-ix.bin" file. I ran it again with the same results. For some reason in windows I'm getting a "system cannot execute specified program" error when running firmtool...

Any ideas? I'm so close  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

EDIT: it looks like I only have the windows error using the "make ixtreme firmware" cmd files from the BenQ iXtreme Multispeed 1.1 package from xbins. I just tried the BenQ 1.1 rev2 files, and it worked fine...

If it's embedded in a lot of directories, you'll get that error message.  Move the directory closer to your hard drive's letter (move the firmware directory up).  If that doesn't work for you, try it in another computer.  Both of these things worked for me when I was getting that error message.

edit:  sorry for the late message, should've read your edit.

This post has been edited by sportsgamer1984: Nov 14 2007, 08:38 AM

exelzor

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(sportsgamer1984 @ Nov 14 2007, 08:36 AM) *

If it's embedded in a lot of directories, you'll get that error message.  Move the directory closer to your hard drive's letter (move the firmware directory up).  If that doesn't work for you, try it in another computer.  Both of these things worked for me when I was getting that error message.

edit:  sorry for the late message, should've read your edit.

I just wanna kiss you!! I've been banging my head on the wall for the last month cause i have been getting this error after i formated my pc. Thanks to you, it's all fixed now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)