xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Backing Up With Ms25 - Which Firmware?  (Read 60 times)

Fmstrat

• Archived User
Backing Up With Ms25 - Which Firmware?
« on: November 12, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I've read every guide I can find, and I'm a bit disjointed.  It's hard to make out what's what since so many updates have happened since guides were written.  I have an MS25, and these seem to be the common statements:

The Textbook.pdf (or Hacking the xbox 360 for NOOBS guide) says:
"The only way to backup games with a Samsung drive is if it is flashed with the xtrm0800 firmware (from the very first firmware release) or with an Xtreme firmware and using the 0800 disc."

The Backup FAQ thread says:
"The lastest iXtreme Samsung FW will not allow you to rip (extract) games with any software (XBCreator, schtrom, IsoBuster...). You will need to reflash to 5.3 or acquire a Sh-D162C(ide)/SH-D163A(sata) for your PC in order to backup games."

So, there are a lot of files in the XBins site.  When backing up with the MS25, should I be using Xtreme 5.3?  If so, do I need to use the enable0800.iso file?  Or should I be using some old "xtrm0800" firmware (couldn't locate this on xbins) instead of 5.3 and the iso?

Thanks.

UncontrivedSage

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »

I thought you could still use the enable 0800 disc with ixtreme.  I
know the 0800 disc still works to get your drive in mode b and
recognized in windows so I don't know why you couldn't then use it to
back up your games, I could be wrong though.

pricemeista33

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »

I'd go with the newest F/W iXTREME 1.3 for that MS25. Previously I used the 1.2 rev.c quiet for this model and everything went great except some DVD's didn't play with the "PTP" on them.  Now that the 1.3 is here to fix that, I'd go with it with ease.

Fmstrat

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »

Yes, Im going to use iXtreme 1.3 during normal use.  It is my understanding that to use the ms25 to back up my game to the HD I have to downgrade the firmware.  Im trying to figure out which of the two options to do.

Fmstrat

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »

Well, I ended up just trying Xtreme 5.3D and the 0800 disk method.  Everything appeared to be going fine, until I opened up Xbox backup Creator, the Start Button is grayed out.  I've selected the MS25 as the drive to use, and it reports the game oddly as:

Media Type: DVD-ROM
   Bytes Used: 4.00 TB (4,398,046,511,104 bytes)

And the Start is grayed out.  It seems a number of people have had this problem online, but no resolution in any of those threads.  I tried both the latest VIA drivers for my SATA card (5.2 from 2007 in the latest VIA package), which recognize the drive fine with a hotplug but have this issue, and the drivers that came with my card (5.1 from 2004) which locked up the computer during hotplug or boot.  The card is a Rosewill RC-212 from newegg.

It happens in Xbox Backup Creator 2.6 and 2.5.  If I go to "Drive Tools" and choose "Security Sector" it reads and identifies the disk fine, then the start button becomes active.  However that unlocks the disk, and when I try to read I get an error about the video files because the disk is unlocked.

TorchMach1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »

Anyone come up with a resolution for this?  I'm having the exact same problem.  Can get SS file from disc, but start button is grayed out.

Antman1

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(Fmstrat @ Nov 14 2007, 10:30 PM) *

Well, I ended up just trying Xtreme 5.3D and the 0800 disk method.  Everything appeared to be going fine, until I opened up Xbox backup Creator, the Start Button is grayed out.  I've selected the MS25 as the drive to use, and it reports the game oddly as:

Media Type: DVD-ROM
   Bytes Used: 4.00 TB (4,398,046,511,104 bytes)

And the Start is grayed out.  It seems a number of people have had this problem online, but no resolution in any of those threads.  I tried both the latest VIA drivers for my SATA card (5.2 from 2007 in the latest VIA package), which recognize the drive fine with a hotplug but have this issue, and the drivers that came with my card (5.1 from 2004) which locked up the computer during hotplug or boot.  The card is a Rosewill RC-212 from newegg.

It happens in Xbox Backup Creator 2.6 and 2.5.  If I go to "Drive Tools" and choose "Security Sector" it reads and identifies the disk fine, then the start button becomes active.  However that unlocks the disk, and when I try to read I get an error about the video files because the disk is unlocked.

reflash drive with 0800.bin and do away with using the 0800 disk for yer backups.  then flash back to iX1.3 when done using on yer PC.  I Think it would be a great touch if the 0800.bin firmware was included with the firmware package when downloading any iXtreme firmware.

This post has been edited by Antman1: Dec 8 2007, 07:31 PM