xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal  (Read 68 times)

xlinkx

• Archived User
Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »

I tried flashing my hitachi 79 fl today but I killed the drive by removing the epoxy with a soldering iron.  I peeled of some traces and now it doesn't work anymore.  What do you guys use to remove the epoxy?  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

antonio010

• Archived User
Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:59:00 AM »

Heatgun, use aluminum foil to cover the surrounding areas and leave the epoxy exposed.

Carlitosbaby

• Archived User
Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(xlinkx @ Nov 9 2007, 02:22 AM) *

I tried flashing my hitachi 79 fl today but I killed the drive by removing the epoxy with a soldering iron.  I peeled of some traces and now it doesn't work anymore.  What do you guys use to remove the epoxy?  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

razor blade scrape epoxy off

xlinkx

• Archived User
Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 03:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(antonio010 @ Nov 9 2007, 09:59 AM) *

Heatgun, use aluminum foil to cover the surrounding areas and leave the epoxy exposed.

That's exactly what i did on my second try and I was able to remove the epoxy without peeling off the traces.  Thanks bro

Antman1

• Archived User
Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 05:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(xlinkx @ Nov 10 2007, 11:38 AM) *

That's exactly what i did on my second try and I was able to remove the epoxy without peeling off the traces.  Thanks bro

Isn't their a guide or something like a video on this some were around?

fredfunk

• Archived User
Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »

Remove the board
Use the heat gun, keep moving around dont use in one spot
Use your hobby knife to test if the epoxy is loose, if not then continue with heatgun until the eapoxy is loose and then simply flick off

Tron[ADS]

• Archived User
Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »

I used a hobby knift and a heat gun, but i did not heat the epoxy direct, instead I heated the knife then cut small amounts of epoxy at a time.

w3aPnX

• Archived User
Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 06:24:00 PM »

Easiest way is to get some epoxy remover from Lowes. Its the easiest way man same thing happened to me i peeled off some of the traces. But the epoxy remover jus melts it right off. Gotta be careful with it though it burns ur skin when u touch it so u gotta wear gloves. They only sell them in a big tin but they will give ur money back if u barely use it.

Xboxologist

• Archived User
Hitachi 79 Epoxy Removal
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 11:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(xlinkx @ Nov 9 2007, 01:22 AM) *

Lol, I did the same thing on my first 79FL try. The stores were closed and I was too impatient to wait and buy a heat gun, so I tried to do it with a soldering iron. What a bad idea. Bricked the Xbox.

On the second one that I did (successfully) I got a heat gun and used tinfoil as mentioned here... so much easier.