xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: DosFlash V1.3 Beta - Full Software Based BenQ Flashing  (Read 926 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
DosFlash V1.3 Beta - Full Software Based BenQ Flashing
« on: October 21, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »

Posted by Iriez | October 21 14:08 EST | News Category: Xbox360

As of right now, only nforce and VIA chipsets are supported in 100% software read/write of the BenQ drive with DosFlash(info). Success varies dependent upon which motherboard you have (intel (ICH) seems to be problematic combined with VIA)

- BenQ optimization in unlocking the flash chip, it should now be possible to read/write/erase the flash without any soldering or wire tricks, the drive is polled for the correct mtk unlocking status after power on, this only works for VIA cards and NForce boards atm
- DosFlash32 has one additional parameter, if you start it with the parameter "EnableDrives" all the DVD-ROMs are enabled in device manager after flashing, this could give BSOD on some systems, therefor you need to create a DosFlash32 link and add that parameter manual to use it
- DosFlash16 has one additional parameter "Send ATAPI Device Reset" in manual mode, this could give better chances for soft flashing on some VIA - motherboard combinations
- better support of Intel chipsets, drives can now be flashed if the controller is not set to native mode in the BIOS
- the following controller list includes vendor and device IDs that are hardcoded to identify the controller type (IDE or SATA), this is needed if the BIOS uses IDE ports like 0x01F0 or 0x0170 as SATA and not as IDE channels, this list is NOT related to soft flashing

NOTE: This is a *BETA*. It is being released to help fix any problems within the program, and to hopefully increase compatibility. Your *constructive* feedback is wanted! So please post in either the XBH or the X-S threads below with your success/failure and specific steps. Use at your own risk!!!

Also, there is NO 'xtreme' firmwares for this drive yet, so as of right now this tool is only useful for getting your key, and using a different drive as a replacement. ixtreme for benq is nearly complete, and in testing stages. No ETA given for release.

Official Site: XBH Forums
Download: here
News-Source: xbins.org

Iriez

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »

A side note:

For those of you with VIA cards, we recommend trying dosflash32 without the VIA windows driver installed. The port is directly accessed with giveio.sys, and it seems that the VIA drivers can mess things up.

Success stories so far...
onboard VIA8237 (win32 and dos16)
ICH5 w/ VIA 6421 (dos16)
ICH7 w/ VIA 6421 (dos16)
Nforce4 - Nforce6 (both dos and win32?)

Got a different chipset and had luck? PM me or respond here!

I successfully dumped my benq with ICH7 and VIA6421L by doing the following:
Boot into bios, disable sata controller.
restart with benq turned on
run dosflash manual command
Press Y at mtk question, and hit enter
Turn off benq, turn back on benq.
And it should automatically dump!

If you have a VIA card, and need to run dosflash with manual commands, and you MUST erase before running the flash command (or it will likely hang on the write process) here is how you find your VIA cards port #:

1st way: The easier way is to open up iprep, check custom Serial ATA box, click list SCSI based controllers, select your VIA card, and look at the first 4 letters/numbers of the Dev IO. That is your port.

2nd way:
Start, Run, msinfo32. Select Components, Storage, SCSI,  then look for your VIA card. Should look like this:

Name   VIA RAID Controller - 3249
Manufacturer   VIA Technologies, Inc.
Status   OK
PNP Device ID   PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249&SUBSYS_32491106&REV_50\4&1AF1648C&0&08F0
I/O Port   0x0000CF00-0x0000CF0F

It is the last for digits/letters of the first I/O address range for your VIA card(in this example, the port is CF00). You can also reach this by going to your device manager, selecting your VIA card under scsi/raid controllers, and clicking properties, then resources tab. It is the first 4 digits/letters displayed on the first I/O range setting.

If the motherboard is a NFORCE chipset with native sata (e.g. nf3 or higher, dont think nf2 had sata?) then this software read/write will work in dos, and *possibly* windows. If you have a ICH (or other non nforce/ICH chipsets/motherboards)  and a 6421 VIA, you should be able to dump in dos by disabling your sata controller and trying the described method in the readme).

Do not post links or pictures of the VIA 6421* series asking "will this work", because the answer is half a inch above this line. Those posts WILL be deleted.

Nvidia (nforce) sata controllers seem to be able to use auto mode of dosflash16, which will automatically erase before writing (no manual erase neccesary)

This post has been edited by Iriez: Oct 29 2007, 03:16 AM

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »

No soldering or wire tricks. Awesome smile.gif

Can't wait for the hacked fw

m82a1

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »

i has benq biggrin.gif

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »

finally can buy a xbox 360 without have to worry about flashing

samsbak

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »

Benq here...wut wut!!! biggrin.gif

DeMoN_DARREN

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

Pretty sure i have a nforce mobo.... which is nice.  If i can simply slap my BenQ drive onto my mobo via sata and flash, i will wet meself

E-Ravishing

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »

I was reading the README.txt file for DosFlash V1.3 Beta.  

And it says
in my tests the VIA did not work with any motherboard, it seems some Intel boards can kill
  the VIA trick

Under the
Flashing the BenQ with a VIA card and DosFlash16.  So does this mean it may or may not work with via cards chipset 6420s.  I'm going to try this method and report.  Just wondering.

Zheez

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(E-Ravishing @ Oct 21 2007, 09:15 PM) *

I was reading the README.txt file for DosFlash V1.3 Beta.  

And it says

Under the
Flashing the BenQ with a VIA card and DosFlash16.  So does this mean it may or may not work with via cards chipset 6420s.  I'm going to try this method and report.  Just wondering.

It just says support for the 6420 was added so it should work with that and the BenQ trick works with VIA cards so it should be ok ... not certain myself though.

Anyway I've just tried taking a dump from my BenQ from my VIA 6241 card using DosFlash16 and it worked perfectly.  The PC I used was a fairly old S478 based system with an ICH5 in it - I guess maybe the newer Intel chipsets could cause problems.  I checked the dump out against the one I did from when I had the cut tracks and the switch and it's identical  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Zheez: Oct 21 2007, 09:44 PM

E-Ravishing

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »

cool.  That's the card I just ordered.  Except I don't have an intel chipset.  I have an SiS 651.

skippy911jp

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »

Anyone know what the mean by second powersupply?

Flashing the BenQ with a VIA card and DosFlash16
--------------------------------------------------
- connect a 2nd power supply unit to the BenQ, don't turn it on yet

Does this mean you can't power the dvd drive via turning on the 360 and running the sata cable to the pc? How do I connect a powersupply to the benq drive? TIA smile.gif

dvandriesen

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »

This is great news i also have a benq one lying around waiting to be flashed its the halo3 edition xbox so im excited to see what the hacked fw comes out will try out right away

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »

Nice! I have one of the latest Nforce Mobos with Sata 300 biggrin.gif good work now we just need Ixtreme firmware and we are all set, glad to see the firmware is being tested before release biggrin.gif..At least if I buy a Arcade pack for backups ill be all set..

bill16504

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zheez @ Oct 21 2007, 09:41 PM) *

Anyway I've just tried taking a dump from my BenQ

It's got to be hard standing on the drive and trying to squat...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Base8

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

Nice, this is good news, my friend just got a 360 and from the way he describes the drive to be it sounds like it is a benQ.  I think he will be happy i don't have to do any soldering to mod his drive now.  Good work everyone!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19