xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Benq Can Be Read Without Soldering!  (Read 151 times)

caster420

• Archived User
Benq Can Be Read Without Soldering!
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(360slapper @ Oct 17 2007, 12:34 PM) *
good stuff thx, just wanted to make sure if the fw was still going to require a new drive then i'd have to order it so its ready to go. but *hopefully soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) * the ability to write to the same drive is good news! thx for the info

No, you will flash your benq drive with iXtreme fw when it is available.

Caster.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(namgorf @ Oct 17 2007, 04:54 PM) *

what are you talking about? You'll still have to dump the firmware from the benq, extract the key, then either use the firmware tool box or hex edit it into a new firmware.

As of now there is no benq ixtreme. This new firmware might not be out for weeks, so don't hold your breath.

The only working solution now, as in today, is to dump the benq firmware and extract they key, then patch it into a samsung drive, which then must be spoofed to report as a benq.

Now, if this new dosflash can dump and read the drives without soldering, great. Thing is, the soldering isn't that big of a deal. Although, I'm sure it will be welcome for those who refuse to touch a soldering iron.

If I recall correctly, c4e said it'll be out after the fall update, and possibly before the end of october (provided the fall update is before then), which would also explain why the beta starts this weekend (since it'd technically be ready before testing w/ new kernel). I also believe you can currently spoof a hitachi as a benq as well.

I'd like to remind everyone talking about switching drives so much, that your originals will work just fine on your benqs, and since the hacked fw is around the corner, just wait a couple weeks before you resume using your backups.

vacuuum

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Oct 17 2007, 11:34 AM) *

I'd like to remind everyone talking about switching drives so much, that your originals will work just fine on your benqs, and since the hacked fw is around the corner, just wait a couple weeks before you resume using your backups.

I would stick with my BenQ if it wasn't so freaking loud.
I play NFS:MW and it makes a loud humming noise.
Anyway, I heard that some BenQs are actually better than the other 2 drives in terms of read speed and noise.
If this was the case on mine... then I'd definitely wait for the iXtreme for it.
But, as for my system... this BenQ has to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2007, 01:27:00 AM »

Just fyi - as far as testing has gone, only Nforce chipsets are working at the current time with the software only method.  

Caster.

just4747

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »

can you elaborate more on that? are those easy and cheap to come by like the VIA ones? How come the different cheap cards with the VIA chipset on them don't work like they do for the other drives? Is there a possibility that VIA ones will be able to be used to read the BenQs eventually while testing? Thanks, any more info please let us know, release dates, testing info, etc...

joe90

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(namgorf @ Oct 17 2007, 04:54 PM) *

what are you talking about? You'll still have to dump the firmware from the benq, extract the key, then either use the firmware tool box or hex edit it into a new firmware.

As of now there is no benq ixtreme. This new firmware might not be out for weeks, so don't hold your breath.

The only working solution now, as in today, is to dump the benq firmware and extract they key, then patch it into a samsung drive, which then must be spoofed to report as a benq.

Now, if this new dosflash can dump and read the drives without soldering, great. Thing is, the soldering isn't that big of a deal. Although, I'm sure it will be welcome for those who refuse to touch a soldering iron.

see topic in #fw: that they are putting benq fw into testing this weekend, so expect it in a couple of weeks, and this beta fw has been confirmed as real.

So you can (if testing goes ok) expect the fw for benq in a couple of weeks max i guess.

so the fw for benq 100% software flash (nvidia chipsets only at the mo) will prob be out in a couple of weeks.

This post has been edited by joe90: Oct 18 2007, 08:38 AM

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2007, 01:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(just4747 @ Oct 18 2007, 03:34 AM) *
can you elaborate more on that? are those easy and cheap to come by like the VIA ones? How come the different cheap cards with the VIA chipset on them don't work like they do for the other drives? Is there a possibility that VIA ones will be able to be used to read the BenQs eventually while testing? Thanks, any more info please let us know, release dates, testing info, etc...

Release dates are still what are still the same as have been stated for a while, after the fall update, AFAIK.

I personally havent looked for a nforce chipset yet, so i have no idea how readily available they are or if they even come on pci cards.  Basically, all other chipsets that have been tried fail to unlock the flash for reading/writing.

Caster.

This post has been edited by caster420: Oct 18 2007, 08:47 AM

vacuuum

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »

damn... guess I'll just have to solder anyways >.<
ain't that bad with soldering... was just hoping for a quicker, easier fix.
If this will require a new hardware, guess I'll be better off modding it the old fashioned way.
anyway, hope to see more development on this.
Anyone have a detailed tut on modding the BenQ drives?
 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

yorobbo

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2007, 02:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(caster420 @ Oct 18 2007, 08:27 AM) *

Just fyi - as far as testing has gone, only Nforce chipsets are working at the current time with the software only method.  

Caster.

woohoo, i just happen to have the Nforce chipset

cypher21

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(yorobbo @ Oct 18 2007, 10:40 AM) *

woohoo, i just happen to have the Nforce chipset

hold your horses!

This is the status for NOW. All is still in dev, so hopefully when the firmware is released, there will be support for more sata-chipsets (hopefully via 6421 since there are a lot of ppl who have that already)

Nojustice

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2007, 04:25:00 AM »

what do u mean by nvidia chipset ??

isnt that a gfx card.. LOL sorry for the numb question...

I have lots of dell SATA machines here, do they use NVIDIA ?

I dont understand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

J_star

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »

Nforce chipset is on your motherboard of the pc.

I have on on mine DFI Lanparty Ultra-D. Many motherboard have them to controlle the Sata ports and network ports, and many other stuff.

I don't know if Dell uses them but i think not.

On the picture it sits under the fan with DFI on it.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Product_Pictur...F4%20SLI-D1.jpg

This post has been edited by J_star: Oct 18 2007, 02:50 PM

piggymouth

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(caster420 @ Oct 18 2007, 03:27 AM) *

Caster.

This is what I was waiting to hear. Since you can't do anything if you can't talk to the drive in the first place.
I have a VIA card on hand and I'm running a Nforce4 Chipset on my home computer.
I will see if I can play the xbox lottery and get a Elite with a BenQ Drive. If I get a Hitachi..I'm returning it.

QUOTE(Nojustice @ Oct 18 2007, 06:25 AM)

I have lots of dell SATA machines here, do they use NVIDIA ?

I believe Dell uses a Intel Chipset.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »

So what does one have to do to get a chance to be one of the beta testers of this new firmware? I have a few spare benq drives and a few spar 360's laying around I can test with.

jah_warrior28

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »

My old motherboard recently died so, i'm looking into getting a new mobo, processor and ram for a new setup

Can anyone recommend a mobo that is expected to work with benq solderless flashing?  Also, all my HDs and dvd drives are IDE, so I need on with that type of connectors.  I'm not looking to game or anything too intense with this computer.

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138077 it is nvidia, but only has 1 ide connection, is that enough for 2 cd/dvd drives and 2 hard drives? (don't ide cables have 2 connectors?)

I already have this pci card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815124022  will that work for the solderless mod?  It will give me extra IDE connections.

Sorry for the newbie (and semi off topic) questions, I just want to get all my facts straight before buying anything.  I know everything is very speculative right now, but any advice in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5