xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hitachi V78 "cannot Read From Drive"  (Read 53 times)

XHDD

• Archived User
Hitachi V78 "cannot Read From Drive"
« on: October 14, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »

Hello all ,

i am trying to flash a Hitachi v78 drive but it gives me an error every time i try to do a raw dump of the FW which is "cannot read from drive" the drive is in mode B and is detected is windows (vista ultimate) . i tired it with an original game and DVD in the drive but neither worked . i was able to flash a Hitachi v47dj using this computer's on board sata so i know it isnt a sata compatibility issue . any suggestions will be greatly appreciated .

myfranco

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »

It may still be compatibility issue since v47 is different than v78.Is the tray closed?

XHDD

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

yes , i got it to close by following the steps in the text book

Carlitosbaby

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(XHDD @ Oct 14 2007, 07:50 PM) *

Hello all ,

i am trying to flash a Hitachi v78 drive but it gives me an error every time i try to do a raw dump of the FW which is "cannot read from drive" the drive is in mode B and is detected is windows (vista ultimate) . i tired it with an original game and DVD in the drive but neither worked . i was able to flash a Hitachi v47dj using this computer's on board sata so i know it isnt a sata compatibility issue . any suggestions will be greatly appreciated .

I'm pretty sure as well that has to do with your sata as the other postered said 47 and 78 are totally different

XHDD

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »

So you guys think it's a sata compatibility issue? although i can see the drive in windows and i am able to read the contents of the DVD/GAME which is in the Hitachi v78 drive . i really dont think compatibility is the problem here i could be wrong but im gonna try it in XP and see what happens , because when i flashed the v47DJ i was using XP not vista . i'll let you know what happens .

myfranco

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »

I just missed the vista part.You're right,try with XP

M1RUV1L

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

let me know if you get it working or not, because I am having the same problem and I'm also on Vista.

Carlitosbaby

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(XHDD @ Oct 15 2007, 01:17 PM) *

So you guys think it's a sata compatibility issue? although i can see the drive in windows and i am able to read the contents of the DVD/GAME which is in the Hitachi v78 drive . i really dont think compatibility is the problem here i could be wrong but im gonna try it in XP and see what happens , because when i flashed the v47DJ i was using XP not vista . i'll let you know what happens .

Nah isnt vista as that is the OS I use to do my drives. I'm using Ultimate btw maybe is different with home or business. Let us know if works on xp.

XHDD

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »

yeah i was hesitant to try xp , i kinda left that as a last resort . i will try it with xp and report the results when i get home .

XHDD

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Carlitosbaby @ Oct 15 2007, 04:22 PM) *

Nah isnt vista as that is the OS I use to do my drives. I'm using Ultimate btw maybe is different with home or business. Let us know if works on xp.

I am also using vista ultimate . so I really don’t know what to think . im still gonna try xp just to take off my list of things to try be4 I deem this effort a failure

This post has been edited by XHDD: Oct 15 2007, 11:40 PM

M1RUV1L

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 08:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(XHDD @ Oct 15 2007, 06:38 PM) *

I am also using vista ultimate . so I really don’t know what to think . im still gonna try xp just to take off my list of things to try be4 I deem this effort a failure

how'd it go? I really hope that this works, cause it sucks having a nonworking 360 hah.

Carlitosbaby

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 08:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(XHDD @ Oct 15 2007, 06:38 PM) *

maybe something different on your mb but mine works perfect with vista and toolbox 4.0 and 4.5 Ive even used 3.0 on it. Well good luck

cypher21

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Carlitosbaby @ Oct 16 2007, 05:37 PM) *

maybe something different on your mb but mine works perfect with vista and toolbox 4.0 and 4.5 Ive even used 3.0 on it. Well good luck

what vista are you running? 32bit or 64mbit?

I've got 64bit installed, and i can't flash anything on it.

I've got my pc installed as dualboot so i do all that stuff in XP

M1RUV1L

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 01:57:00 AM »

okay so I think the problem may be with my drive physically.

I put in my replacement drive and get it into modeb, however when I get into windows, no disks are recognized and the light on the front of the 360 just flashes.

so I took off the case of the drive to see what was going on, and it seems that the laser just moves back and forth a few centimeters and the drive never spins which is why I can't dump my firmware.

so any help? would swapping over my old laser from my bricked drive help at all(and if it would, could someone direct me to a tutorial)? or am I sol? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This post has been edited by M1RUV1L: Today, 09:58 AM

pod8

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »

Yo, I had this problem for hours! I finally powered down my PC and put my SATA card right at the bottem of the AGP slot and then flashed it without a prob with ver 4.0

The SATA card was sandwhich in between my audio and video card so i think that was the problem, move it to another slot and try it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Good luck!