xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can't Write Key Or Flash Gdr3120 Anymore  (Read 24 times)

NeilHicks

• Archived User
Can't Write Key Or Flash Gdr3120 Anymore
« on: October 08, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »

Hi,

For the past several months I've been happily writing keys to replacement Hitachi/LG GDR3120 drives using 360 Firmware Toolbox v3.0, without any problems. A great application btw. A big thanks to the author!

I've 're-keyed' 47's and 78's without any hitches. I'm now trying to change the key in a 47 and a 59 (one at a time, of course!). I use SLAX 2.0 to get them into ModeB, boot into XP in the usual way. The drives shows up in XP with no probs. I put an original XBOX360 game in the drive which becomes visible in windows. I use the 'Classic Dump Firmware as...' button to  dump the firmware of the drives which delivers the drive details and firmware version, plus the existing key info. I edit the key, hit the 'replace key' button, which brings up the confirmation box telling me that it was successful. I then use the menu option 'Flash Keys' which results in the error message 'Cannot communicate with drive. Make sure it is visible in windows'. I check, and sure enough it's still there and I'm still able to run the 'to play this disk, put it into an xbox 360' video and I can dump the firmware as many times as I want.

I have no idea what's going on. The only thing that I can think that's changed is I've kept XP up to date with security patches etc.. I've checked it on another PC and get exactly the same results.

Both drives run DVD Movies with no issues, so they appear to be in good working order.

What am I doing wrong? Help??

Thanks.

Neil

Carlitosbaby

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(NeilHicks @ Oct 8 2007, 03:46 PM) *

Hi,

For the past several months I've been happily writing keys to replacement Hitachi/LG GDR3120 drives using 360 Firmware Toolbox v3.0, without any problems. A great application btw. A big thanks to the author!

I've 're-keyed' 47's and 78's without any hitches. I'm now trying to change the key in a 47 and a 59 (one at a time, of course!). I use SLAX 2.0 to get them into ModeB, boot into XP in the usual way. The drives shows up in XP with no probs. I put an original XBOX360 game in the drive which becomes visible in windows. I use the 'Classic Dump Firmware as...' button to  dump the firmware of the drives which delivers the drive details and firmware version, plus the existing key info. I edit the key, hit the 'replace key' button, which brings up the confirmation box telling me that it was successful. I then use the menu option 'Flash Keys' which results in the error message 'Cannot communicate with drive. Make sure it is visible in windows'. I check, and sure enough it's still there and I'm still able to run the 'to play this disk, put it into an xbox 360' video and I can dump the firmware as many times as I want.

I have no idea what's going on. The only thing that I can think that's changed is I've kept XP up to date with security patches etc.. I've checked it on another PC and get exactly the same results.

Both drives run DVD Movies with no issues, so they appear to be in good working order.

What am I doing wrong? Help??

Thanks.

Neil

Try using toolbox 4.0 or 4.5

DeathByDrum

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »

Yeah I've got exactly the same problem.  No worries getting the drive into modeb, windows recognises it fine and I can even play the dvd movie off the 360 hitach drive!  I can also use classic mode to get the firmware but whenever I try flashing, I get the "Cannot communicate with drive message."  Additionally I've tried using the basic "flashix.bat" that comes with the ixtreme 1.4 and that hangs the system as soon as it starts thinking about flashing the drive.  So any ideas anybody because this particular drive is doing my head in!  Thanks to all who reply.

DeathByDrum

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 04:57:00 AM »

In reply to earlier post, finally found the way to flash was quite easy!  Whereas 360FirmwareToolbar demands you have an authentic disc of some variety to do anything, I found having a disc in the drive was the sole reason for my machine hanging when it attempted to flash using the basic flashix.bat supplied with the firmware.  As soon as I removed the disc and tried flashing, it did it with no problem.  Hope this helps anyone else like me last night! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by DeathByDrum: Oct 10 2008, 11:57 AM