xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: My Backups Play For A While But Then It Stops Reading It!  (Read 53 times)

mario_ps2

• Archived User
My Backups Play For A While But Then It Stops Reading It!
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »

Hello guys, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have been having these problems with my xbox360.  I have noticed that sometimes my backups play for a while and then the 360 stops reading them.  I've even tried a backed up movie and it still doesn't work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I have also noticed that if I connect to xbox live to download any stuff, the 360 stops reading any dvds/cds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)
This behavior is kind of strange and I don't know where the root of the problem is coming from.  My xbox360 is about one month old and I have to continuosly re-flash it in order to make it work!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

Do you guys have any solultions or opinions on this matter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Thanks.

jabski

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »

ermmmm

What drive do you have ??

Have you tried the elastic band trick ??

mario_ps2

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(jabski @ Feb 7 2007, 12:50 AM) *

ermmmm

What drive do you have ??

Have you tried the elastic band trick ??

A have a Samsung ms25 flashed with xtreme 5.2b.

I have not tried the elastic band trick.  I thought this trick was for old worn out drives. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

Lately there has been a lot of complaints about backups and orignals not fully working.  I'm wondering if Microsoft has started their destructive anti-firmware flash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Knasen

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

Try flash back the original firmware and play games/movies for a few days. If the problem goes away you atleast know its the FW causing it and can try different firmware versions or something. If it doesnt help your dvdrom is probably screwed in some way and you should return the console for repairs.

Methadon

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(mario_ps2 @ Feb 9 2007, 05:05 PM) *

A have a Samsung ms25 flashed with xtreme 5.2b.

I have not tried the elastic band trick.  I thought this trick was for old worn out drives. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

Lately there has been a lot of complaints about backups and orignals not fully working.  I'm wondering if Microsoft has started their destructive anti-firmware flash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Why would they combat your ability to play backups by removing your ability to play originals as well? That would only create dissatisfied customers who won't spend their money on MS products in the future. MS is all about repeat business (buy windows before, you'll buy it when a new version you like comes out, etc), and they're probably much more concerned with piracy of windows than xbox, otherwise prices would be higher, and while the number of pirated games may be larger than in the past, so is the average amount that a game will sell.

Now to your problem. I'm almost positive your laser is either dead/dying or in need of a POT adjustment. Do you have a multimeter? If you do, take a calibration reading of your CD and DVD POTs. Stop re-flashing your firmware; that's not going to affect it unless it's flashed wrong.