xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: BenQ VAD6038 - New DVD Drive in Xbox360  (Read 949 times)

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
BenQ VAD6038 - New DVD Drive in Xbox360
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(DADDYDjCK @ Feb 7 2007, 01:20 AM) View Post

Well I am currently stuck with the very original POS Hitachi drive from launch day that has done nothing but annoy the piss out of me and suck ass at reading games. . .I still got love for my box. . .

curious though. . .in yalls opinion should I just order one of these drives and replace mine. . .or get a new box??

From what's been said on this site, MS has stopped using the Hitachi and Samsung drives. Until the stock with those drives in them drys up, it's kind of a crap shoot if you'll get the BenQ. I just asked the guy at EB to give me the most recent MFR dated 360 they had. He was cool enough to look through 10 of them until I found one that was dated 12-15-2006. Just try and get one with a late November-December date, and hope for the best. Either that, or wait until these guys hack the firmware and buy one off eBay for $60.

ranasaltella

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 03:01:00 AM »

Hi!!!

I have an Philip mod. number VAD6037/21 with date March 2005

If Opa will I can extract the firmware and send you, therefore you can study it.

Bye ranasaltella

sosotiit

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »

Plse read the rules ,
and post on topic.

This is the subject here:   BenQ VAD6038 - New DVD Drive in Xbox360
Not quality of repair services, there are places to discuss that but not in this forum, and certainly not in this thread.

Someone can voice  respectfully his scepticisms in other people abilities to get a firmware for the drive discussed here, or who they would prefer see working on this, but it must not hijack the thread in a service complaint with the resulting counter-attack. Use the report button if you feel someone is out of line, do not get in it yourself.

Some post to be removed. Not because they would not be OK in the proper thread, but they do not belong in this discussion on the new drive.

rgds,soso

This post has been edited by sosotiit: Feb 7 2007, 11:53 PM

sha

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »

Looks like Xbox-Scene is in he news.  Good Job now we will just get more noobs and MS will be more opt to close this site down.

http://gameinvasion.comcast.net/gameinvasi...re_improvements

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(sha @ Feb 7 2007, 06:47 PM) View Post

Looks like Xbox-Scene is in he news.  Good Job now we will just get more noobs and MS will be more opt to close this site down.

http://gameinvasion....re_improvements

M$ knows about this site, some members are even developers and employees of M$. As long as the site remains legal it stays open, M$ can't really do anything about it even if they don't like it.

ruciz

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »

cyclowiz is upgradeable too via DVD, and it appears that even if you have the D2B board you can solder the S and T points to enable upgrade mode, and upgrade to support this chipset, provided support is available.

The BenQ drive seems nice, but its on a very weird TSOP chip (EOS?), and don't appear to have any epoxy around it to prevent desoldering and dumping (provided software methods do not work, as I havn't seen a solid confirmation that you can dump via software)

Seems fishy to me and this drive may mark the end of 360 firmware mods.. As someone stated, all they had to do was remove the debug commands and sign the firmware and its locked up for us not to be able to mod it.

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(ruciz @ Feb 7 2007, 05:37 PM) View Post

The BenQ drive seems nice, but its on a very weird TSOP chip (EOS?), and don't appear to have any epoxy around it to prevent desoldering and dumping (provided software methods do not work, as I havn't seen a solid confirmation that you can dump via software)

Seems fishy to me and this drive may mark the end of 360 firmware mods.. As someone stated, all they had to do was remove the debug commands and sign the firmware and its locked up for us not to be able to mod it.

On the prototype versions of this drive the firmware was in a SPI Flash (the small little 8 pin chip
to the right of the controller).

There was a big of white epoxy on the prototype covering some of the controller, the spi flash and
half of the pins on that big static ram chip to the left of the controller.

I have not see the inside of a production drive but it should be the same.

The current MTKFLASH program supports dumping of SPI Flash chips and the BenQ drive uses
the same chipset as the Toshiba/Samsung drive so it should be easy to dump and easy to write
a modded firmware for it.

The debug commands removed would not stop from dumping or making a modded firmware,
most of the debug commands in the Toshiba/Samsung were in ripping original games, and
in the Hitachi were in dumping the contents.

Signing firmware would be hard, what part would check the firmware?

jeff10

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(atomiX @ Feb 6 2007, 06:07 AM) View Post

http://pictures.xbox...threedvdsxs.jpg
In order from left to right: Philips (BenQ); Hitachi-LG; Toshiba-Samsung

The BenQ has the same tray as the Philips

I just got my replacement 360 yesterday, it was manufactured 11-0-2006-, the drive was manufactured 10-07-2006> it has a black inked stamp on the back of the tray with that date, it looks like the toshiba samsung on the right pic but is a very  light grey.?

the xbox is 1005 quiter,  i hardly hear the drive spin up, i have only played gears in it though. of course i had a launch 360 before. so?

ranasaltella

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »

could I have the original firmware of benq please?

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(ranasaltella @ Feb 8 2007, 10:28 AM) View Post

could I have the original firmware of benq please?

Nobody that owns one of these drives or the "march" prototypes has ever
been brave enough to even try to dump the firmware, they are all too
busy enjoying the "Quiet" sound while playing their games.

ranasaltella

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »

I try to read my Philips with the procedure of Samsung MS28 and MS25 but don't work.  sad.gif

OPA Can you say me as can I try?

if you do not have ideas, I remove the eeprom and I read it with the willem

Cilix

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(garyopa @ Feb 8 2007, 12:10 PM) View Post

Nobody that owns one of these drives or the "march" prototypes has ever
been brave enough to even try to dump the firmware, they are all too
busy enjoying the "Quiet" sound while playing their games.

As soon as I get another one of these, Im gonna rip it apart and dump the firmware.  Im getting a few more in the next few days, so well see if i get a winner.  If not, ill just spent $300 on a brand new one and just return it after Im finished with it.

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »

Hmmm. MS seems to be shipping out NEW PSUs, or so it seems. On my other 360's PSU, the version is 00 on the label under the PSU. On my new BenQ 360's PSU, it says Version 1.0. I'll have to compared the power requirements and whatnot to see if they are still the same power rating wise.

nomoreniu

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »

I have a Sammy dated in September, I kind of wish I have a BenQ even though there's no mod.  I don't plan on modding mine anytime soon, but it's painful to hear the drive spinning like a tornado.  My original PS2 was also pretty loud and the laser died after just 1 year, we'll see how long this 360 will last.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19