xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: BenQ VAD6038 - New DVD Drive in Xbox360  (Read 948 times)

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
BenQ VAD6038 - New DVD Drive in Xbox360
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »

Before I had read that it isn't possible to switch out the DVD drives in 360s, is this still true?  If not, is there any way to purchase the drive by itself?  I'd like to get a drive that is quieter, yeah the noise can easily be overcome by turning the speakers up, but that often times results in unhappy or annoyed family members.

Deihmos

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(47_M450N_47 @ Feb 5 2007, 11:36 PM) *

Before I had read that it isn't possible to switch out the DVD drives in 360s, is this still true?  If not, is there any way to purchase the drive by itself?  I'd like to get a drive that is quieter, yeah the noise can easily be overcome by turning the speakers up, but that often times results in unhappy or annoyed family members.

Go buy a new Xbox if you want the drive. That's the only solution as of now.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »

Nice.  Now all they need to do is introduce HDMI - and the Xbox 360 will be on par with the PS3 (media player wise).  I'm looking forward to buyng an HDMI 360 now, when they're released.

Someone needs to do a BenQ 360 drive VS. Sony B-D PS3 drive noise comparison.  The PS3 drive is very quiet, I'm hoping this new drive is the same.

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Feb 6 2007, 06:05 AM) *

Nice.  Now all they need to do is introduce HDMI - and the Xbox 360 will be on par with the PS3 (media player wise).  I'm looking forward to buyng an HDMI 360 now, when they're released.

Someone needs to do a BenQ 360 drive VS. Sony B-D PS3 drive noise comparison.  The PS3 drive is very quiet, I'm hoping this new drive is the same.

I was just about to post a comparison. I have the 60GB PS3, which I've had since launch. I only have Resistance to judge the PS3's mechanical noise, so other games may or may not make as much noise. As you all know, the PS3's BD doesn't spin as fast as the 360s, so it IS quieter in that it doesn't make as much noise when at full RPMs. HOWEVER, my PS3's BD drive is MUCH noisier than the BenQ drive in my 360 when it's actually pulling data off the disc. My PS3 actually sounds like the LG drive that came in the original XBOX late in it's lifecycle, when it's pulling data. I've even put my ear to the vents by my 360's HDD and I could still barely hear the BenQ while continually loading areas while playing Saint's Row and Oblivion. Both games pull data constantly, and you know what they sound like on your T/S or Hitachi. So again, the PS3 isn't as noisy as the BenQ drive at max RPMs(though it is better than the Hitachi and T/S), but when reading the game the BenQ is VERY QUIET in comparison. It all boils down to which noise you're more comfortable with.

QUOTE(Trance Mix @ Feb 6 2007, 05:36 AM) *

How does the BenQ Tray look like?

It looks exactly like the tray in the Philips VAD6037, except the tray is GRAY.

xtreme_360fw

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »

Wow, now i might resell my modded console or even trade it for one of these quieter BenQ drives.  I got a small LCD screen setup myself when i play in my room and I have my console close by and the drive noise is honestly too much for me.  I got a Talismoon Whisper Fan in there but that only lowers it by so much, that leaf blower of a DVD drive makes too much noise when i'm playing a game with the volume low.  I would also like to get a hold of one of these drives to test out the firmware dumping capabilities to contribute into the R & D of another firmware solution but maybe M$ have added some extra security... either way, it'll be fun to play with and easy on the ears when it comes to night-time gaming.  So at first i was afraid, but now i'm actually welcoming this drive!   This BenQ drive + smaller processor + HDMI port = Almost perfect 360 console! smile.gif

=Xtreme=

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »

You're still gonna get wind noise from the drive, albeit much quieter. Mechanically though, it's killer how quiet it actually runs. Saint's Row really keeps the drive busy, and even that game can't make it loud.

GomerPyle

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »

All this will be obsolete once that firmware gets finished to allow for the LG PC Sata Drives. tongue.gif  tongue.gif

xry

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »

XBOXIZGOOD: I never flamed you, i just didn't believe you. Hope you see the difference between believing and flaming. If you look into this forum, you see enough noobs claiming they've done everything right, but still manage to brick 3 drives etc.

Now i envy you, i want that drive too smile.gif
Well well, my guess is that i can buy one from eBay at a later time, and then insert my key, i can wait smile.gif

Congratulations Cilix, thanks for getting the pictures.

GaryOPA: Thanks for letting me know that mtkflash is the way to go, i got my VIA 6421l card from Samsung flashing already, so that would make it easy to flash a Philips in the future if there's ever going to be a firmware for this quiet baby.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 01:53:00 AM »

I don't think this has anything to do with the firmware modification. I believe it's more to do with knowing how noisy the older drives were in the first place.

The best part of the 5.x firmware for the TS drives is the ability to slow the read speed. It makes such a difference to noise levels! If only MS incorporated this within their own firmware and allowed the end-user to change the setting in the dashboard.

Still, it's a good step forward to replace noisy with quiet (as long as it's reliable!)

Martin

atomiX

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 04:32:00 AM »

I have the look-alike Philips and can confirm that it does seem to run quieter than my hitachi. Haven't done an extended ammount of gaming on it though.

atomiX

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 05:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(elitegamer360 @ Feb 6 2007, 08:40 AM) View Post
biggrin.gif

haha Stupid me I really Dont Know which Drive I've got, I need to check but dont know how, I will not open the 360 though it'll void my warranty biggrin.gif .

http://pictures.xbox...threedvdsxs.jpg
In order from left to right: Philips (BenQ); Hitachi-LG; Toshiba-Samsung

The BenQ has the same tray as the Philips

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(xry @ Feb 6 2007, 09:09 AM) View Post

XBOXIZGOOD: I never flamed you, i just didn't believe you. Hope you see the difference between believing and flaming. If you look into this forum, you see enough noobs claiming they've done everything right, but still manage to brick 3 drives etc.

Now i envy you, i want that drive too smile.gif
Well well, my guess is that i can buy one from eBay at a later time, and then insert my key, i can wait smile.gif

Congratulations Cilix, thanks for getting the pictures.

GaryOPA: Thanks for letting me know that mtkflash is the way to go, i got my VIA 6421l card from Samsung flashing already, so that would make it easy to flash a Philips in the future if there's ever going to be a firmware for this quiet baby.

No hard feelings at all. I know that alot of noobs get on here and post some crazy stuff. Had I had the means to take pics, I could have saved everyone the headache anyway so don't worry. I completely understand, since I was shocked to actually see the new drive myself. I'm just glad I could shed some light on all this for everyone. It's a great drive, so hopefully you guys can mod so you can have what I beleive is the best drive available.

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(XBOXIZGOOD @ Feb 6 2007, 04:49 PM) View Post

Here are some pics of the drive tray, lens and board. Oddly enough, this is from an old thread here! http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=555456

These pictures are from a "prototype" drive sent to M$ for testing and cert. back in March 2006 and
some of them were sold off on eBay later on that year.

It would be nice to know if the current production drive is the same inside as the "prototype" ones.

19Ripper75

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(max29 @ Feb 6 2007, 01:08 PM) View Post
My 360 has a date of 2006-10-07.I thought it would have a ms28drive but the tray is a light gray.Do the samsungs have the light gray trays?Is the date read as october 7 2006 on my 360?

Yes, the samsungs have light gray trays. Mine (360 w/ Sammy drive) was manufactured on 2006-06-19. Yours will say 2006-10-07 if it was manufactured in October, 2006-07-10 if manufactured in July.

Hope this helps you out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19