xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 360 Won't Run Backups After A While  (Read 304 times)

Joergen

• Archived User
360 Won't Run Backups After A While
« on: May 21, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »

The date gets reset when you move the 360 around unplugged, it has no battery backup and gets the date from Live. As for the games not reading try better media like Verbatim.

sarcoptic

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »

Thats pretty much exactly right ukchipper...all backups on verbs burned @ 2.4x...kind of a bummer it has to cool before booting the next game...

joshr799

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »

Im having the same problem.  Im using Verbatim DVD+R DL which also happen to be RW.  I didnt see it until I looked at the disc and the RW symbol is in the bottom corner on the package really tiny.  I thought it just had something to do with that.  Check to see if your Verbatims are RW also.  Mine came in a 20 pack with a purple and yellow label, reorder #95310.

After playing a game for an hour or so the drive needs about 10-15 minutes to cool off befor booting a backup again.  Originals always work.

ViNCe_V

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(joshr799 @ May 21 2006, 11:37 PM) View Post

Im having the same problem.  Im using Verbatim DVD+R DL which also happen to be RW.  I didnt see it until I looked at the disc and the RW symbol is in the bottom corner on the package really tiny.  I thought it just had something to do with that.  Check to see if your Verbatims are RW also.  Mine came in a 20 pack with a purple and yellow label, reorder #95310.

After playing a game for an hour or so the drive needs about 10-15 minutes to cool off befor booting a backup again.  Originals always work.

The RW logo is just a trademark logo of sorts. It does not actually mean those discs are DVD+RW DL by any means. This because DVD+R DL discs to not fully comply to some DVD standards and so they had to create a different logo to represent them. Going with the RW thing imo was a bad idea as that confused me at first too.

I haven't personally experienced this problem yet, and i'm not too sure what would cause it either [something overheating? laser has a hard time picking up dvd+r media? not sure ...]

averian

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »

For the ones having issues, what burners are you guys using? I found an NEC burner that would give this problem, and it would only boot games about 75% of the time (verbatim), but after switching to a Lite-On it is 100% no matter how long the box is on.

sarcoptic

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »

I am using a Benq DW1655, quality scores are coming out mid 90s....also I am using wxripper to create isos....I was wondering if wxripper was introducing the problem.  I do have an NEC ND-4551A I can try, but for dual layer discs I perfer my benq...all burns done at 2.4x

ukchipper

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »

ITs not the medai or what burner,(for me anyways) I tried all my backups in a friends box all booted flawleesy, i think the laser pots need tweaking, also my drive was considerilbly noiser than my friends.

After this i returned xbox and got a new xbox so far working fine , all backups working . And the new drive is quiet.

sarcoptic

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

You may be right ukchipper...I had a box from Jan 4 of 2006 and it was the one causing problems...today I tried them on a box from Apr 10, 2006 and the games all run flawlessly

NewAgePSX

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »

Someone is going to make a ton of Bucks selling laser heads for the 360 since replacing the hole drive is not really a option at the moment. I can see it now lasers will fail left and right trying to run backups.
Doh!

joshr799

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »

My manufacture date is 2005-12-26.  Burner is a NEC ND-3540A all burned on 2.4 Verbatims.  I probably wouldn't have even noticed it but my roomate was playing for like 2-3 hours straight and we tried to switch the game then.  We had to wait about 12 minutes.  If I only play for like 45 minutes I only have to wait a couple of minutes (less than 5) for it to cool off.  

Do you guys think my laser will go bad eventually?  On my original XBOX my DVD drive went because I never used it, since all of my games were on my harddrive, how ironic.

dank_nugz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(joshr799 @ May 24 2006, 12:27 AM) View Post

My manufacture date is 2005-12-26.  Burner is a NEC ND-3540A all burned on 2.4 Verbatims.  I probably wouldn't have even noticed it but my roomate was playing for like 2-3 hours straight and we tried to switch the game then.  We had to wait about 12 minutes.  If I only play for like 45 minutes I only have to wait a couple of minutes (less than 5) for it to cool off.  

Do you guys think my laser will go bad eventually?  On my original XBOX my DVD drive went because I never used it, since all of my games were on my harddrive, how ironic.

Joshr: is there a lot of dust buildup in your vents? since your timing varies maybe it is a heat issue?

Can anyone confirm that these 360s manufactured near the end of 2005 have different lasers or anything else different that might be contributing to this behavior

dank_nugz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(ircident @ May 24 2006, 01:43 AM) View Post

My drive won't spin up any of my +R DL disks.  Just my single layer +R's I use to backup my movies.  The drive was made in December 2005.  Tweaked the pots with no success.

I have another drive I tested from the same batch and it works.  Using the logic board from my first drive and the laser head from the second good drive it worked.  

I just went ahead and ordered 2 new laser heads.  Can't wait to try.  Should be here tomorrow. smile.gif

Oh, and I was using two different verbatim disks.  One was a 2.4x and the other was an 8x certified.  I burned both at 2.4x.

So this was with an older 360?

misFit

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »

I also have this problem.  I only have been using Maxell DVD+R but i need to let the xbox cool down before switching games.  Is this problem widespread or is it just my media.  I would like to hear from people either way.
Thanks

joshr799

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »

I dont believe its an over heating issue because my case is open everything is very clean, and it still plays originals just fine.  I havent opened my DVD drive yet but I wouldn't mind checking it out.  Ill check back later with an update and pics on my laser info.

dank_nugz

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 08:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(misFit @ May 26 2006, 02:50 PM) View Post

I also have this problem.  I only have been using Maxell DVD+R but i need to let the xbox cool down before switching games.  Is this problem widespread or is it just my media.  I would like to hear from people either way.
Thanks

Check out the thread I started on this specific issue

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=515509
Pages: [1] 2