xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can A 360 Dvd Drive Be Swapped? Doesn't Look Like It...  (Read 152 times)

billy_dimashq

• Archived User
Can A 360 Dvd Drive Be Swapped? Doesn't Look Like It...
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:46:00 PM »

I just used the DVD drive from a core pack to replace a dodgy one in a premium pack (both uk machines, both hitachi-lg drives) and now it won't boot any 360 or xbox games.

inserting either type will run the dvd video contained on the disc in the non-encrypted bit (xbox game has the swanky black/green video, 360 game shows the white/green video with the 'please use a 360 console' message).

i'm wondering whether ms has gone to town with the 360 where even the dvd drive is locked to a specific console? it's funny how on the original xbox, the hard drive was locked but the dvd drive could be replaced, but now the opposite seems true smile.gif

can anyone verify if this is true, or is this all the verification i need?

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(billy_dimashq @ Jan 29 2006, 11:53 PM) *

i'm wondering whether ms has gone to town with the 360 where even the dvd drive is locked to a specific console? it's funny how on the original xbox, the hard drive was locked but the dvd drive could be replaced, but now the opposite seems true (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

can anyone verify if this is true, or is this all the verification i need?

This was one of the first things confirmed.  You cannot swap DVD drives as there is some sort of "marriage" between the drive and the system.

alou

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 02:53:00 AM »

All these was done some time now and togethere with dumping several firmwars which all had a 16 bit difference, proved that each console - most probably when first time used - writes a unique per console key to several parts to "get them married" like kowrip said and live happily ever after.

And being married means they can only 'go' with eachother legally, however the 'cheating' usually comes soon enough wink.gif

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(alou @ Jan 31 2006, 11:00 AM) View Post

And being married means they can only 'go' with eachother legally, however the 'cheating' usually comes soon enough wink.gif

Ha ha .... nice way to get some humor into an otherwise lifeless topic.   biggrin.gif

bowser22

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »

You could probably dump your firmware from your original drive if the board is still good then flash it to your new drive
i have no clue if this works so dont quote me tongue.gif
c ya biggrin.gif

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 11:20:00 PM »

yeah there is 16 unique bytes in each firmware, it is a key of sorts used in encrypting the authentication data of  a 360 or xbox 1 disk. That's why the drive will read dvd movies, cd's, etc but not games.

Dumping and reflashing the firmware to the other drive has been confirmed to work. Or easier yet, just swap the entire circuit board.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(G0t M4xx 21 @ Feb 2 2006, 12:51 AM) View Post

Or easier yet, just swap the entire circuit board.

what would this acomplish? putting your 360 in a new case? if you move the dvd drive and the motherboard, then theres not much else to move. the big advantage to being able to swap the dvd drive in the first one is that its cheaper to buy a replacement drive (in some cases better replacing because its a better drive, in other cases because the original didn't work anymore) then a new system.

moederfietser

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 06:18:00 AM »

it would accomplish that you can switch the standard drive with a more silent one. for me that is the main reason. is it possible to screw the circuit board from the standard drive and fit it into anoter one? does it have to be the same model/brand? thanks in advance

joerehall

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Feb 11 2006, 07:51 PM) View Post

what would this acomplish? putting your 360 in a new case? if you move the dvd drive and the motherboard, then theres not much else to move. the big advantage to being able to swap the dvd drive in the first one is that its cheaper to buy a replacement drive (in some cases better replacing because its a better drive, in other cases because the original didn't work anymore) then a new system.

he's talking about the circuit board on the dvd drive dude, come on.

Chamrock

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »

Any idea what kind of flashroms these DVD units use?