xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Evolution Of Backwards Compatability  (Read 160 times)

nstavros

• Archived User
The Evolution Of Backwards Compatability
« on: December 28, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »

my cousin works for sony in new york and he told me that we could focus on the demo dvd, yet the way to find a exploit/hole would be using the backwards compatability on the disks.  ... find out why and how you could modify the xbox to read it as a backwards comp disk.  He coudlnt help me because of things he signed.

krawhitham

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 03:09:00 AM »

that was one of the ways to beat the PS2

load a PS1 game and have a special save on the memory card and BAM you have complete control and can load PS2 software.

MS knew about PS2's problem for a while and most likey made sure the 360 would not have the same problem

pez2k

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(krawhitham @ Dec 30 2005, 10:16 AM) View Post

that was one of the ways to beat the PS2
load a PS1 game and have a special save on the memory card and BAM you have complete control and can load PS2 software.

It was basically caused by a buffer overflow in a driver, and only small amounts of code could be executed. The X360 has been pretty well protected against buffer overflows, as the PS2, PSP and original Xbox all had exploitable buffer overflows in system software.

I don't think it'll be possible to even do much to the emulation, the only way to get an original Xbox to load code that is not MS-signed (without hardware modification) is through buffer overflows, either in the dashboard (which isn't included with the X360) or in the infamous three games (MA, SC, AUF), all of which will have had the exploits patched out in the emulation. Every time I post about the X360 I always sound pessimistic, but that's because every previously known loophole or exploit will almost definitely have gone. The kiosk disc may eventually provide a way to browse the X360's system software, and maybe eventually an exploitable file could be found. Even so, you then need a way to make the exploit do something useful, and a way to flash the system software back to the TSOP, and that's before any mention of actually trying to circumvent or alter features like the hypervisor...