xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Succesful Backup Swap On 360 !  (Read 1398 times)

krayzie

• Archived User
Succesful Backup Swap On 360 !
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2005, 07:17:00 AM »

dude forget it. you can't make xex's run that are not flagged dvd-rom/r.... and you can't make 1 xex run support files from another xex. If you think you can do such things then well good luck... And in case you don't know it. Gueux is in french... how much members here speak french. I'm sure frenchies reading here go around and inform you too.

fornorst

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2005, 07:36:00 AM »

Hey ! I'm french and I'm here, on XS, an american forum, to share what we discovered. Is it too hard for you (with you thousand of users) to do the same thing ? I'm not here to ask you to keep us informed about what you did but don't say you cannot, for linguistic issues, do it.  blink.gif

Concerning the method we are trying to set up, it can work. I explain you :
  . boot with an original disk (PGR3 for example)
  . wait to be in the game
  . return to the dash with the central button (not with opening the DVD Drive!!)
  . once on the Dash, changes your original disk with a backup one. The difference between the original and the backup is simple : the default.xex is not the same. It is at the same place on the disk but is totally different (hello world, ...)

With our previous test, we show that the hypervisor do not check the media flag again when returning to the dash without opening the DVD tray. So, this first protection is passed away. The second protection concern the xex's signature. Will that signature be read by the hypervisor or not in that particular case ? Actually, I can't say "yes" or "no". Do you ? Have you test that ?

loop2047

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2005, 07:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(krayzie @ Dec 29 2005, 02:54 PM) View Post

the point is that the backup needs to be a 1 to 1 copy of the original. So how could this ever be usefull into loading backup discs.
You can't ever make original game A load backup game B.

not 100% true from my understanding and research.
what happens when you insert an original game is the drive reads data to validate the media and to be able to read the actual content.
it reads the size and section structure and alot of other stuff once you insert the media.
now all your copied media has to have is the actual game data on the same offset since no ingame checks can be done.
if you mean with 1:1 copy, that every bit of data of the copy needs to be the same as the original, this is wrong and you can check it out with this current(working and unuseful) hotswap method.
however, if a virtual disk image is kept in memory that tells the system what files are on the disk (TOC) and it does not do a new lookup then its going to fail.
I have yet to see a media where this conditions fit.
however hotswap is in no way useful here.
so better we find a kernel vulnerability that we could somehow trigger

//edit
yes the signature check is performed whenever a xex gets executed.
this is build into ring0 at low level and you dont have a chance to bypass it.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2005, 07:57:00 AM »

it's the speculators that need to be silenced

In which case most of the posts in this thread need trashing along with yours. this whole thread is built on speculation of what will be achievable suing this method. There is no point me repeating what will come of it as it has been stated quite clearly.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »

basically once a xex is verified and loaded into memory to run the game it stays in memory untill it is reloaded or another one is loaded. so untill that point happens I'm sure you can swap out stuff taken the shadowed verified xex can still handle it. What I don't get is what is so special about it.
Also I am not agains sharing information. I just dislike the thousands of posts that arise of people that don't understand it and start asuming they can play backups (a lá kiosks disc). A nice line in the first post to mention that it is NOT meant for playing backups would be sufficient IMO.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2005, 08:13:00 AM »

Also I am not agains sharing information. I just dislike the thousands of posts that arise of people that don't understand it and start asuming they can play backups (a lá kiosks disc). A nice line in the first post to mention that it is NOT meant for playing backups would be sufficient IMO.

This is my exact point. I am in agreement totally.
Something groundbreaking yes announce with a bang but don't allow people to believe this is THE hack for the 360

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2005, 09:38:00 AM »

yeah we know we can edit information on the disc and probably also on a hotswapped disc. This is how the xbox 1 exploits were done. Load an xbe which loads a supporting file (like the xtf,st.db,gamesave exploits) which is faulty and causes a crash and getting some code running and change the RAM's public key making it possible to run our own signature.

Unfortunately we do not know anything about the 360's encryptions and the 360's security is far more advanced making the chance to create a buffer overflow hack extremely small.

And I'm sorry if some people don't like some critisism about subjects. This should be a discussion site. Is it only intended for positive discussion or something? Can I not critisize an idea if I feel it makes no sense?
If someone says he can fly can I not help him out of that dream? If too much ideas in here are so similar (people seem to not read a single post before creating a new thread themselves) can I not say it won't work or that their idea is not original?
If people feel that confident that it will work (people that actually test things themselves instead of the usual "what if or could this....." posters) then I'm sure they can defend themselves and their ideas.

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »

The problem we have krayzie is children nowadays are brought up not knowing what criticism is. Parents are told only to encourage their children, but never tell them they are wrong, or something is not possible. You see, they have never experienced someone explaining to them why they are wrong. All they've ever heard is just keep trying, you're doing good. While I don't disagree with encouragement, sometime Johnny needs to be told he's a flippin moron. LOL

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(crosseye @ Dec 29 2005, 10:06 PM) View Post

The problem we have krayzie is children nowadays are brought up not knowing what criticism is. Parents are told only to encourage their children, but never tell them they are wrong, or something is not possible. You see, they have never experienced someone explaining to them why they are wrong. All they've ever heard is just keep trying, you're doing good. While I don't disagree with encouragement, sometime Johnny needs to be told he's a flippin moron. LOL

lol - OT, but so, so true.  smile.gif

TheRandomDude

• Archived User
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »

um, I also hate to bring this up but isn't there some dangerous rays comming from the laser that are invisible to the human eye and can blind you permanently?

oh well, have fun pop.gif

musclecarman1

• Archived User
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2005, 01:42:00 AM »

Are all of you guys that believe this is true, morons?  I seen this done many times.  It is called slight of hand.  You see that the guy in the video covers the camera with the DL DVD+R, then when he swaps the game out he places the DVD+R on top of another DVD, probably another copy of the game.  It's called a magic trick!  Whats next, you guys are going to have a shiny quarter come out of your ear! jester.gif

mod7

• Archived User
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »

I would not be surprised if people are already using this to cheat on live...which strangely enough has not been mentioned.

deakphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2005, 10:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(musclecarman1 @ Dec 30 2005, 09:49 AM) View Post

Are all of you guys that believe this is true, morons?  I seen this done many times.  It is called slight of hand.  You see that the guy in the video covers the camera with the DL DVD+R, then when he swaps the game out he places the DVD+R on top of another DVD, probably another copy of the game.  It's called a magic trick!  Whats next, you guys are going to have a shiny quarter come out of your ear! jester.gif

Do you know what happens when you double up dvd's in a drive?  Try it in your pc and tell me the results.

deakphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2005, 11:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Spark @ Dec 30 2005, 07:01 PM) View Post

If the laser is exposed ala Dreamcast/PSone then the top disc will usually fly off. If they're inserted into a covered drive like a PC/Xbox then its bye bye drive.

Yea it could very well ruin the drive but definately will ruin your disk.  It will spin the top disk and really scratch up the underside from spinning on the 2nd disk.  A few of my dumb friends have done this in my drive, i hear it and i run in there and tell them to take it out. RETARDS!!!! Im talking about my PC not xbox FYI

deakphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Spark @ Dec 30 2005, 07:52 PM) View Post

In additon, the effects would be worse on a DVD than it would a CD, as 1x DVD is the equivalent of approximately 52x CD.

And if I were you deak, I would kick your friends out of your house before they do some real damage.

They werent disks i care about but yes i do care about my drive.  It seems like the only time my friends come around is when they want something  grr.gif Its very annoying, its either to help with a website, help them with a computer or some other various thing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8