xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Succesful Backup Swap On 360 !  (Read 1127 times)

Gael360

• Archived User
Succesful Backup Swap On 360 !
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Arakon @ Dec 26 2005, 09:00 PM) View Post

the entire disk is part of the signature. you change anything on the disk, the signature becomes invalid.

Ahahaha you are too funny ! jester.gif

Ok you don't know anything about the security system. Can someone explain to this funny guy how works the xex signature?

Have a look to the 'strong name' concept in .NET, it's the same idea.

And please, before saying I'm wrong, ask yourself how is it possible to run the backward compatibility upgrade from a burned CD, and also think that sometimes you can be wrong...

pez2k

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »

The backward compatibility update is signed to be run from any media, which is why you can download and run it from the HDD. There's more than one setting for the media flag. Also, it's the PS2 which only reads when the tray is closed, nobody knows what the X360 does yet. It's very likely that MS have seen the fliptop cases for the pre-70000 PS2 that let you hotswap the disc to skip that protection, and designed the X360 to be invulnerable to such an exploit. I'd say that anything that's worked on other consoles has probably been deliberately blocked on the X360. There was a thread a week or so ago noting that this only works until the console reads the disc again, at which point it obviously finds the invalid media, and I'm pretty sure that this would be the case.

enixn

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

just a few Q's,
1. why does the cd say star fox?...maybe its an RW, but otherwise kinda weird it wouldnt say pgr3
2. what is that flickering at the bottom of the tv screen?...dunno if its a reflection or bad record..Im guessing he cant do this in good lighting because it might interfere with the dvd?....but tehn theres the handheld light, just why is it always so dark?...
3. (this is in support of the video) Would a burned (rejected!) dvd/cd continue spinning after the media check failed?, unless it is a video (dvd) in which case when he stopped it, the movie just quits playing... Also, can you play a movie on a dvd from clicking on the dvd tray pic in the dash?...or do you have to go to "media" and videos.....

InterestedHacker

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(theone31 @ Dec 27 2005, 12:29 AM) View Post

ok if and this is a big if this works,where the hell does it get us ,as u have to have the original to play the back up

Yeah, that's the bottom line.  What fat lot of good is it if you have to boot from the original game, to load a copy of it???  In theory, as long as the media check doesn't happen again (which it may NOT), then you can't load another game using any original?  UNLESS, there is a 'file manager' type original disc that lets you launch other .xbe files, but that would still run the media check....

It's a no win situation.

Unless you can boot a different game, by hot swapping, you are just wasting everyones time, and forums space.  The only thing is is good for is running a backup copy of your game, but it's a bit of a waste of time if you have to boot from the original, and risk damaging the disc during hot swapping.

Also, do you know just how much damage a shattered DVD can do when it's wizzing around at 10,000 rpm??  There's an episode of Myth Busters I think you should watch...

theone31

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(InterestedHacker @ Dec 26 2005, 10:45 PM) View Post

Yeah, that's the bottom line.  What fat lot of good is it if you have to boot from the original game, to load a copy of it???  In theory, as long as the media check doesn't happen again (which it may NOT), then you can't load another game using any original?  UNLESS, there is a 'file manager' type original disc that lets you launch other .xbe files, but that would still run the media check....

It's a no win situation.

Unless you can boot a different game, by hot swapping, you are just wasting everyones time, and forums space.  The only thing is is good for is running a backup copy of your game, but it's a bit of a waste of time if you have to boot from the original, and risk damaging the disc during hot swapping.

Also, do you know just how much damage a shattered DVD can do when it's wizzing around at 10,000 rpm??  There's an episode of Myth Busters I think you should watch...

ha i see that it was pritty damn cool

legueux

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(InterestedHacker @ Dec 26 2005, 11:45 PM) View Post

It's a no win situation.

Hi,

You're saying that these peoples are juste wasting everyones times and forums space.
The goal is not it to test the various possible ways and to test them until the end in order to be certain not to pass beside something of interesting.

Other things will be tested starting from this method and even if that does not lead to nothing at least they will have tested instead of awaiting hypotetic exploit from a team.  At least they have the merit to share their experiments and they are not there to wait, like much, to just be able to download games illegally.

My 2 cents

unspoiledpuma

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2005, 05:00:00 PM »

Honnestly i would like to congrat Team Gueux for their excellent work: ( first to share the method to rip xbox360 games, first to release GUI PI dump extractor and now the first to boot a legitable bakup of a game...) Keep up the good work!!!  cool.gif

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »

If the guy wants to really prove he's not doing something fake. Tell him to turn on the damn lights in his room. I've never seen such utter BS for a reason the lights aren't on. Something about getting a better picture from the camcorder??? Yeah right. Turn on the lights and let us see what's going on. If he can do that, maybe we'll believe it.

unspoiledpuma

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(crosseye @ Dec 27 2005, 01:16 AM) View Post

If the guy wants to really prove he's not doing something fake. Tell him to turn on the damn lights in his room. I've never seen such utter BS for a reason the lights aren't on. Something about getting a better picture from the camcorder??? Yeah right. Turn on the lights and let us see what's going on. If he can do that, maybe we'll believe it.

Why to be such sceptible?? This guys  have made many different version of is video to proove that this is not a fake, the bad light is caused by his camera (it's not a real camcorder, it's a digital camera that takes small movie) i dont understand why you dont beleive this, why you dont help this method to be improve with all the knowledge you have??? BTW do you think that this method and a "future" modify frimware for the dvd drive is a good solution to play backup games???

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2005, 07:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Gael360 @ Dec 26 2005, 02:20 PM) View Post

And please, before saying I'm wrong, ask yourself how is it possible to run the backward compatibility upgrade from a burned CD, and also think that sometimes you can be wrong...

The MEDIA FLAG decides how a signed file runs. The media flag for the backwards compatibility is set to run from almost anything. Pointing out how that works from a CD is absolute stupidity. I hope to god you just made a serious mistake in what you're trying to say. If not, this just shows you know nothing about them, and further goes to say since you know nothing, this idea probably does not work.

EDIT: I would not say this idea is impossible, but based on what you guys have shown, highly unlikely. Show something real= Lights on, show both discs, the original as it's started, the backup, finish a race, start a new one. If you can do all this I'd be more likely to believe it's working. I will continue to say it does not based on trying it already with a Halo2 backup.

slader99

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2005, 08:29:00 PM »

Complete a race on PGR 3 and start another. This way it could easily show it's not just the cache playing out.  

are you telling me that video footage we observed of him joining a race on XBOX live, and then racing for a full 4 minutes was all from the cache?  Why the hell did the game stop then when he stopped the disk from spinning?

Nice to see your not compleltly pig headed tho.  You went from saying this was complete bullshit at the start of the thread, to "not impossible".  Is it not possible that whoever performed this experiment with the HALO2 backup screwed up?????

And yes I would be far less sceptical if the lights are on, but honestly do you blame the guy?  My face and the contents of my room are the last thing I would want to post on the internet when performing anything to do with the disasembly / modification of my xbox 360.  "They spent billions securing it" what makes you think they wont spend anytime or money tracking down those that break or aviod that security?

slayed

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2005, 08:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(slader99 @ Dec 26 2005, 09:36 PM) View Post

are you telling me that video footage we observed of him joining a race on XBOX live, and then racing for a full 4 minutes was all from the cache?  Why the hell did the game stop then when he stopped the disk from spinning?

I'm not sure WHAT was going on in that video. It's so freaking dark it's impossible to see. I can see the screen and that's it. YES, I do blame the guy. You have some serious conspiracy theory problems if you think turning on the lights and showing what's going on around your tv is gonna bring MS down on you. LOL, it's not like they're the CIA. They aren't coming after you and you've done NOTHING wrong. You didn't steal anything of theirs and they hold NO grounds in court. So, turn on the lights! Hell, if you wanna be as paranoid as you are, having the lights off means nothing. They could already find out who this guy is by his screen name. They're probably at your door now  ph34r.gif   laugh.gif

grillo2k3

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »

"Swap Magic 360" It would be great if they could make a Swap Magic disk like the PS2 but the .xex would have to be signed so it wont work but its a great start.

US Nationalist

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »

hmm... has anyone else tried this out?  If not, I just might give it a go and post the results here... This is the more legit-looking videos I've seen thus far.  Yes, it is way too dark for some reason, suspiciously dark, but I don't know; the using another 360 theory is marked out, as he shows the wires being connected to the tv.

Cyphix

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »

If he really wanted to prove something, he would turn his lights on, and keep the camera rolling from the time he turns his xbox on, till the time he turns it off, and play a race the whole way through.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8