xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Where To Begin Serious Exploit Development?  (Read 247 times)

BovineTehHaxor

• Archived User
Where To Begin Serious Exploit Development?
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »

Hello guys and gals. I am currently a Comp Sci major with a focus in Information Security. I know how to exploit real programs (buffer overflows and such), and am beginning to be able to write my own exploits. I used to soft mod my original Xbox for Halo Modding (for fun). I came here to find similar exploits for the 360, only to find that the only available hacks all require hardware. Why is this? Aren't there people trying to exploit the Xbox software? If there is serious Software Exploit development/research going on here, please point me in the right direction. I would love to be a part of it.

Thanks.

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »

go to here: http://www.xboxhacker.org/

I'd register an account and ONLY READ for a long while until you understand PPC and big endian systems enough to reverse engineer 360 code and understand it enough. Hell I barely understand the file system of the nand let alone those things. But if you are what you say you should have no trouble learning the system in no time.

But just be warned a lot of the people there don't have time for not-thought-out posts and bland ideas. They want serious discussion with solid evidence or ideas behind them. I mean I registered there last summer and still haven't posted anything.

This post has been edited by red_ring_of_box: Jan 31 2011, 06:01 AM

BovineTehHaxor

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I have a book on the Assembly and disassembly with IDA.
No reverse engineering here?

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »

Oh I've seen a bit but I think the majority here wont have a clue as to what it is or what you're talking about. There they most definitely will. Good luck with PPC btw I'm still trying to learn x86.

BovineTehHaxor

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »

From a book? Good luck with it. Shits hard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
How's your C?

symbal

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »

You know there is a reason why there's almost no progress on 360 softmods... You can blame the drive hacks, because no matter how ethical hackers want to sound about simply wanting full access to the system piracy's the glory goal, so i honestly can't see much real effort going into creating a softmod. And really i think MS got really lucky that the Jtag and drive FW was cracked so quick because it probably actually kept piracy levels down by keeping hackers away from creating piracy through a softmod that anyone can do.

thesonandheir

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(BovineTehHaxor @ Jan 31 2011, 04:54 AM) View Post

Hello guys and gals. I am currently a Comp Sci major with a focus in Information Security. I know how to exploit real programs (buffer overflows and such), and am beginning to be able to write my own exploits. I used to soft mod my original Xbox for Halo Modding (for fun). I came here to find similar exploits for the 360, only to find that the only available hacks all require hardware. Why is this? Aren't there people trying to exploit the Xbox software? If there is serious Software Exploit development/research going on here, please point me in the right direction. I would love to be a part of it.

Thanks.

Google tmbincs tech talk on the 360 security, thats why there is no soft mod.