xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Loading Xbla Off Of Usb Hard Drive?  (Read 130 times)

Alec

• Archived User
Loading Xbla Off Of Usb Hard Drive?
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(DimmuJed @ Jan 9 2010, 01:12 AM) View Post

Is it possible to load XBLA games off of a USB harddrive? DLC too?

Yes. If you extract the container file, it comes out with an XEX just like any other game.

DLC, I'm not too sure about.

firefighter1023

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(Alec @ Jan 9 2010, 05:35 PM) View Post

Yes. If you extract the container file, it comes out with an XEX just like any other game.

DLC, I'm not too sure about.

I'm not sure about extracting, I haven't tried that.  But you can use the Kiosk Disc Dashboard that's floating around to load XBLA from USB.  I'm pretty sure DLC will need to be on HDD1 though.

mrphr0

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »

When I extracted the containers and launched the xex it always launched as a trial.

Using Kiosk Disk 2.1 I'm able to use the full version of my arcade titles from a usb hdd.

dstruktiv

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »

XBLA games call an api function to check the licence info of the container they're in... If they aren't in a container that call will fail and they'll default to trial mode.

I spent a few hours today trying to enable this functionality in QuickBoot but couldn't get it using the XContent api's.

I could get it to launch an XBLA container from the internal hdd or mu from content\00000000\titleidofmyapp\contenttype\

The Xcontent api limits you to loading stuff from official devices i.e. internal hdd and mu, and it limits the directory to content\0000000000000000\titleidofmyapp\

Yet to figure out how the kiosk disc is doing it... But then it's made by MS so it's not going to be limited to using the standard api's made for developers.

bio44

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

Thanks for your efforts, dstruktiv. I would love to be able to ditch the content\0000000000\380708235 madness and just have a drive with \Games, \XBLA\Worms 2, \Apps, etc.