xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Bypass Dvd Detection In Nxe?  (Read 448 times)

Mickey Free

• Archived User
Bypass Dvd Detection In Nxe?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(skyliner99 @ Dec 8 2008, 05:23 PM) *

don't really know too much about hacking the 360, but with my understanding, when the xbox reads a game from the harddrive, it checks for a valid SS in the dvd drive. (please correct me if i'm wrong) If thats the case, then why not put the SS on a blank DVD in same sector as a retail one.

So when the xbox checks for a valid SS it sees it on the DVD and launches the game. That would eliminate lengthy burn processes

I was thinking something similar to this. My thing was to have all of your games on the HDD and just burn a DVD with all of the SS files for each game on it, so when you launch a game, it checks the disc for that SS, it's kind of out there because we would still have to make sure all the files can be searched in sub-folders, since they would have to have a folder with the right SS file name in it.

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 04:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(Mickey Free @ Dec 10 2008, 05:31 AM) View Post

I was thinking something similar to this. My thing was to have all of your games on the HDD and just burn a DVD with all of the SS files for each game on it, so when you launch a game, it checks the disc for that SS, it's kind of out there because we would still have to make sure all the files can be searched in sub-folders, since they would have to have a folder with the right SS file name in it.

This is not possible. The xbox doesn't ask the DVD drive for the SS for the game you selected in the menu, it asks the DVD drive what disc is in the drive, and then only lets you play that game. There is no way for the DVD drive to know what game you are trying to play, so it can't return the right answer.

The only way to do this is to replace the DVD drive with a custom SATA target device which has an external interface to select which game it's supposed to be providing the SS for. I explained more or less what would be involved in this thread: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=665543 but as a quick summary: lots of custom hardware, extremely nontrivial to develop, would require a detailed knowledge of the DVD verification method to write the software for, and would be easy for MS to implement a method of detecting which would result in everyone using it being banned. smile.gif

blackbeard269

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(torne @ Dec 9 2008, 02:26 PM) *

Because that will save you a couple of minutes, but still use up a dual layer disc, and would be incredibly easy for MS to change their disc checking procedure to check for and ban you. Seems like a waste of effort, no? Why not just burn a full backup? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think what he is saying is something like what is on the Xbox 1 (Modded) that all the games you own are on the HDD and all you have to do is select the game from the menu (Modded XBE Dash) without having the disk in the DVD drive  and the game boots. But since xbox 1 M$ has put security measures in place to stop just that process. I still get pissed that a few games i have can not play on the Xbox 360 because they have not updated the list yet to play. But i still use me old xbox 1 because it is more then the 360 is at this time (MODDED).

ccfman2004

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »

I have done some checking with installed games and all games have a very small CON file which allows the 360 to find the game and play it.

If you remove this file, the xbox does not see the game.

I tried an experiment.

I took the Installed Data from a small game ("Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 2") and burned it to a DVD keeping the same structure as in the Hard Drive.  The xbox 360 does indeed recognize the game (yes, I did delete it from my Hard Drive), but it does ask for the original disc when I attempt to play.

There has to be something in this CON file that tells the 360 to look for the disk.

I installed several games and this file is the same size regardless of what game I installed.

Of course each con file is different depending on the game.

Even more interesting is that I purchased an Xbox Original ("Halo" it was half price last week) and it also has the same file, same size but it was a LIVE file.  I did the same thing and burned the data to a DVD keeping the same structure.  Guess what, the Game Loaded and it play perfectly as if was running from the Hard Drive.

I know that there is a small difference between a CON and a LIVE file.  But this does make me believe that there may be a way to remove the disc check.

I think the next step would be to examine this file from as many installed game a possible to see if there is some data that is identical in every case.

This file size of this file is 45,056 bytes

The file also contains information related to the game such as Game Name, the icon that is displayed in the dashboard, Developer, and other stuff.

I hope this information helps.

This post has been edited by ccfman2004: Dec 31 2008, 07:26 AM

noluv

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »

just a post to get email notification as im very interested in the topic.
i to am sick of having to keep putting my game in when i already have it on the hd.
i dunno if this will be possible but i do know the ps1 and 2s where able to have a boot disk you put in then put the copyed game in.

im not after copying or any thing i would just like to be able to load my games "i have bought"straight off the hard drive with out the messing about.

good luck and hope a answer pops up soon!

fiskem

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »

ccfman2004

maybe it's just the name (CON=under CONtrol???) that tells to NXE that check the dvd with including parameters.

and live means run as LIVE games that downloadable via market place.

i'm sure that NXE decides which name would be while installing hdd.

This post has been edited by fiskem: Jan 1 2009, 06:07 AM

ccfman2004

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(fiskem @ Jan 1 2009, 06:41 AM) View Post

ccfman2004

maybe it's just the name (CON=under CONtrol???) that tells to NXE that check the dvd with including parameters.

and live means run as LIVE games that downloadable via market place.

i'm sure that NXE decides which name would be while installing hdd.

CON files are also used in gamesaves as well as being used in Rock Band 1's exported songs

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(ccfman2004 @ Dec 31 2008, 07:01 AM) View Post

I took the Installed Data from a small game ("Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 2") and burned it to a DVD keeping the same structure as in the Hard Drive.  The xbox 360 does indeed recognize the game (yes, I did delete it from my Hard Drive), but it does ask for the original disc when I attempt to play.

There has to be something in this CON file that tells the 360 to look for the disk.

Yes. The problem is not that it doesn't tell the console to look for it, but that the console doesn't tell the DVD drive what it's looking for. You try to run the data, it goes "hmm i need the rock band disc", it goes and asks the DVD drive "what disc is in the drive right now", the DVD drive then has to say "it's the rock band disc" or else it won't work.

The drive never knows what to expect, so whatever hardware/firmware solution you might build or invent to replace/modify the DVD drive, there will always have to be some human interaction to do *something* so that it knows which disc it's supposed to be being: currently we have to put an actual disc in, with a sufficiently clever device we could flick a switch or scroll through a menu on some external box but it's never going to work entirely from the 360 dashboard unless an entirely new exploit is discovered allowing running code on current kernels.

ccfman2004

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 02:29:00 AM »

I was inferring that maybe there is some way to turn off the disc check by editing the CON file I was talking about in some way.

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(ccfman2004 @ Jan 7 2009, 10:05 AM) View Post

I was inferring that maybe there is some way to turn off the disc check by editing the CON file I was talking about in some way.

Probably not, but nobody's proven either way. The issue is that the actual game executable is still going to be flagged as "run from original DVD only", and we can't change this because we will never have the XEX signing key. So, whether it's possible depends how the kernel implements the load-from-HDD functionality: it seems unlikely that the CON file would have a way of overriding the XEX flags to say "you don't need to check the disc", especially given that MS have known for a good while that we can recover the CON signing keys from a console and resign them smile.gif

Corvaccio

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »

I was wondering if it is possible to turn an iso in a demo and then put the file in the directory Content...you can play demo from burnt dvd. It's something like ps2 hack: you patch the game so it seems a dvd video, the ps2 skips the check and then you play...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english XD

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 05:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(Corvaccio @ Jan 16 2009, 11:00 AM) View Post

I was wondering if it is possible to turn an iso in a demo and then put the file in the directory Content...you can play demo from burnt dvd. It's something like ps2 hack: you patch the game so it seems a dvd video, the ps2 skips the check and then you play...

The XEX for the game has a set of flags that say what kind of media it is allowed to run from: retail games are flagged to only run from mastered X360 DVDs. The XEX is signed with a key we will never have, so changing this is not possible.

There is nothing we can do to the console itself right now unless a new exploit is discovered - we can only mess with the DVD drive.

Corvaccio

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(torne @ Jan 16 2009, 01:57 PM) *

The XEX is signed with a key we will never have, so changing this is not possible.

Maybe we can ask to Ms (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). i think it's a very long process and we have to wait a lot. The ps2 exploit is 2 years old... six years after the release date...

krizalid

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »

has anyone tried different directories???

Like place game data where the game demos are.

Just my two cents, I donĀ“t have a kit nor computer to mess with my hdd atm.

Cheers.

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »

See my post two above: this just won't work, the binaries are flagged for what media they run from.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4