xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Will Firmware Mod Allow Modified Isos To Run  (Read 101 times)

XvSiriusvX

• Archived User
Will Firmware Mod Allow Modified Isos To Run
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »

Will the textbook tutorial on doing the soft mod allow me to run a hacked ISO such as a nude hacked DOAX2 iso? Would that break the 'signature' on it or is a graphical palette edit subtle enough to still load with such a mod?

If not, what mod should I use to allow such bypasses? Thanks in advance.

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »

The firmware hack lets you run a modified ISO in principle. Signing/hashing is applied to individual files in the ISO, not to the whole image. You can't modify any file which is signed or hashed at all - this is at minimum all .xex executables. Files which aren't signed or hashed can be modified just fine. Which files are which is entirely dependent on the game - some games may have many modifiable files, some games may have signatures on every single last file on the disc.

There is no other way to modify stuff at present, so if a modified ISO image works for someone it will work for you. Drive chips, etc will all produce the same results. If it works for other people on DOAX2 then I'm guessing the textures/palettes that are being modified aren't signed or hashed, so you should be able to do what you like with them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh, and yeah. Please don't do this for anything that might affect multiplayer/Live (though you would hope that game developers would protect files relevant to that). The world doesn't need people cheating online. If you just want more boobies in your life, then I don't see the problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

XvSiriusvX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(torne @ Jun 27 2008, 01:05 PM) *

The firmware hack lets you run a modified ISO in principle. Signing/hashing is applied to individual files in the ISO, not to the whole image. You can't modify any file which is signed or hashed at all - this is at minimum all .xex executables. Files which aren't signed or hashed can be modified just fine. Which files are which is entirely dependent on the game - some games may have many modifiable files, some games may have signatures on every single last file on the disc.

There is no other way to modify stuff at present, so if a modified ISO image works for someone it will work for you. Drive chips, etc will all produce the same results. If it works for other people on DOAX2 then I'm guessing the textures/palettes that are being modified aren't signed or hashed, so you should be able to do what you like with them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh, and yeah. Please don't do this for anything that might affect multiplayer/Live (though you would hope that game developers would protect files relevant to that). The world doesn't need people cheating online. If you just want more boobies in your life, then I don't see the problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Lol thanks for the reply, but yeah I really couldn't care less about promoting any more cheating to games than is inevitably rampant already, and a modification like that would only be local anyway

And actually I had figured chip installations forced some bypass that made the xbox not care about signatures and therefore you could just pop whatever into them...but I've yet taken the time to learn how to solder and so forth, but it looks like it doesn't matter for the 360 atm anyway

This post has been edited by XvSiriusvX: Jun 28 2008, 07:34 PM

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »

Nope, the chip does exactly the same thing as reflashing the DVD drive. (well, less, actually, since the chip firmwares are old and busted *grin*) Doesn't affect the console itself at all.

XvSiriusvX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »

Well then I might give this softmod a try, though I'll have to study it well since it seems like a lot of sensitive stuff is done, don't want to mess up my elite lol

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

if you are looking for a game to fool around with, checkout guitar hero 2. that has its songs in an unsigned container, which allows for custom songs. the guitar hero 2 section here on x-s has a tool made by xport to help make the customs.

XvSiriusvX

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »

Yeah that too actually would be nice to try, I've downloaded versions like that for the ps2, I wouldn't mind getting a crack at making my own