xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: New King Kong Exploit  (Read 536 times)

XBHpringle

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »

EXT3 is the filesystem used by Linux or any other distro.

Example:

You have a 500Gib hard drive and would like to install both a Linux distro and a windhole you splitt up the drive in 2 partitions.
Preferrably 1 EXT3 and the other NTFS.

l0tics

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »

To the people who get this working, post pics. Not saying it's fake, I'm not retarded, I just want to see some pics  biggrin.gif

Vejita

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »

So are 1280x720p and 1920x1080p available as desktop resolutions

SD5150

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »

Great job. Its good to see this out there for more people to enjoy (I not being one of them). This will help the scene make some nice headway. Can't wait to see what the near future holds. Everyone keep us posted on what you are able to accomplish.....

wans

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »

Hi, Nice work on the shader guys!

Just a quick question, i have patched my KK iso with the shaders included in the pack but dont really want to use the minimal Gentoo Live CD.  Im gonna wait for a full Gentoo distro before i actually install it on my HDD, my question is, will i be able to use this patched KK disc used to load the exsisting Gentoo, to load future releases? Or will a new dual layer disc be required for different versions?

Thanks again guys!

wans

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tomobobo @ Mar 30 2007, 11:24 PM) View Post

I suspect that there'll be at least one more version of the exploit, due to the fact that the current one has an issue with samsung drives.  So either they'll have a hitachi version and a samsung version of the DVD-loading exploit, or just one version which supports both.  Or, C4e could come out with a fw for the samsung drives that will let us sammy owners use the current exploit.

But to answer your question, yes, you will have to burn off a new DVD-dl every time the exploit is changed.  However, every time the linux distro is changed, you won't.  Pretty much, your hacked backup of King Kong will be like the key to homebrew, as long as the homebrew answers properly to the King Kong exploit.  Understand?

This is all out of my ass, by the way, and it's all as far as I know.

Cool, i havent actually burnt the image yet, its just sitting there on my HDD patched... I know its slow at the minute but i am gonna wait untill there is a full Gentoo distro, i have a spare box here and have just run the HD DVD upgrade to enable exploitable kernel.  My aim is to have that 360 run as a linux box, shame it runs on frame buffer at the min but im sure in time simple GPU functions will work.

What i was asking previously, was if anyone knew if the current explot boots a particular file, limited to the minimal distro?  Or is it just a general launcher?

Methadon

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »

So can you boot from a hard drive? If so, do you have to use the KK disc every time you turn on the 360 to re-create the exploit in order to run it, or can you now cold-boot to linux?

Cpas

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »

Yes you can use any sata hard drive.
Yes you need to run kk disc each time you want to boot to linux, no cold boot.
Stonersmurf is making a HOWTO for the hard disk installation part.

Cpas

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »

There is a "fix" but it is reported not working for now. I will give news if needed

Tomobobo

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »

I guess I don't really understand the problem.  Why is samsung not able to run the cd?  Is it because of the exploit, or because of the live cd?

It's because you need to get it in 0800 mode, but why is that such a problem?  Is it due to the newest xtreeme firmware?  I'm running 3.2.  Will the "fix" work for me, or is it not working for anyone?

R0B0T0

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »

Cool, just plugged my wireless usb keyboard in after booting into gentoo, works perfectly cool.gif

cstar114

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(R0B0T0 @ Mar 31 2007, 12:03 AM) View Post

Cool, just plugged my wireless usb keyboard in after booting into gentoo, works perfectly cool.gif

Could you run some benchmark? http://www.geekpatro...-3-performance/

It'll be interesting to see the comparison between ps3 and 360.

tmbinc

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »

The shader code / exploit is not the problem on samsung. If it would, you wouldn't even boot into linux but just get a black screen. (did i already said that a serial-less shader is a bad idea in this early development stage? You can't see any debug messages, so all you get is a black screen if something isn't right. Not the greatest user-experience... whatever.)

The problem is that linux doesn't use the modifed inquiry command etc. You could either patch linux to do this (like slax was patched), or you could put the drive in a mode where it behaves like a standard mode.

I'm not sure what the better method is. Currently, hitachis are put into modeB, so linux is happy.

Oh, an geekbench is generally a very very bad benchmark. Not allowing processor-specific optimizations is an absolutely no-go on non-out-of-order-execution processors like the cell or the xenon. You wouldn't measure anything which comes near a performance, just some random numbers. It's like benchmarking an itanium in x86 mode.

At least ppu-gcc should be used to compile geekbench with the proper optimization parameters.

Tomobobo

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2007, 01:21:00 AM »

Thanks for the explanation tmbinc, and all your hard work and contribution.  I think I almost understand now.

Basically, the New King Kong shader exploit tells the dvd drive to read from a certain address (offset?) and the Hitachi is complying because it was put into modeb, but the Samsung is still running as an Xbox360 drive, and therefore won't comply.  The Samsung needs to be in a "pc recognizeable mode" like 0800 to access the information on the distro cd/dvd.

Still though, I'm confused as to what's telling the Hitachi to go into modeb.  Is it the distro, or the shader exploit?

openxdkman

• Archived User
New King Kong Exploit
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »

Woot! Welcome tmbinc!
Thx for you great work (especially readcd!)

Noob question: What would be the result if some startup code was put at LBA 20 right inside the enable 800 iso image? (I have Hitachi, so I can't test)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7