xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Running Linux, Xp, Vista, Or Os X On A 360  (Read 132 times)

Zune

• Archived User
Running Linux, Xp, Vista, Or Os X On A 360
« on: December 14, 2006, 01:49:00 AM »

Hello all--

I searched the forum and only found that this was asked about a year ago, and since then much has changed.

I was wondering if there is any way to take advantage of the 3 processors the 360 has and turn it into a computer running some OS. Is this possible? Are there any projects out there that are trying to do this?

Thanks.
Z

crabbar

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:17:00 AM »

from a hardware standpoint, duh, its possible. we cant run our own code though.

train2335

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft made a water downed version of Windows for the XBOX 360 considering the PS3 has Linux now...

OpticNurv

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 04:04:00 AM »

aye, he's right you know, it's just a matter of time before M$ will have to adapt or leave the next-gen (current now laugh.gif )
but yea, give M$ some time to get vista360 working and up to speed before we hear the  ohmy.gif shocking news that 360 will have an OS

xrisnothing

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:47:00 AM »

I seriously doubt that will ever happen.  It takes microsoft years to write an OS.  How many casual gamers are even interested in running linux?  It isn't really a selling point for the PS3 and would probably only help hackers and/or pirates.  With as much DRM that microsoft has on the Zune and their "crack down" on piracy with windows, it's obvious that they have no interest in providing people like us with what we really want, because it also enables piracy.

There isn't enough interest in running OS's like this in the gaming market.  These are gaming consoles and not PC's.  If they started doing this, you'd be able to buy a M$ and playstation computer in a few years and honestly, what would be the point?

OpticNurv

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(xrisnothing @ Dec 19 2006, 12:18 AM) View Post

I seriously doubt that will ever happen.  It takes microsoft years to write an OS.  How many casual gamers are even interested in running linux?  It isn't really a selling point for the PS3 and would probably only help hackers and/or pirates.  With as much DRM that microsoft has on the Zune and their "crack down" on piracy with windows, it's obvious that they have no interest in providing people like us with what we really want, because it also enables piracy.

There isn't enough interest in running OS's like this in the gaming market.  These are gaming consoles and not PC's.  If they started doing this, you'd be able to buy a M$ and playstation computer in a few years and honestly, what would be the point?

did you wake up with your girlfriends' tampon in your mouth or something? dont be such a pessimist.

Millenia1x

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 03:04:00 AM »

it won't happen
microsoft would be pissing on all the pc manufacturers

vax11780

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 07:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(Millenia1x @ Dec 31 2006, 02:35 AM) View Post

it won't happen
microsoft would be pissing on all the pc manufacturers

I doubt pissing off PC manufacturers is of any concern to MS. What would concern MS is the loss of revenue from Windows. You can buy a XBox 360 for about the same money as an unbundled Vista license. So MS is better served forcing consumers to purchase an XBox AND a PC running a new version of windows. For example, you can stream video from a PC running Media Center, but you can't put videos of your own choice directly on the XBox hard drive. Double the revenue, double the fun.

VAX

SRI-Sajuuk

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

Yeah, you know M$, if they do it, they'll find a way to screw everyone over. and besides, Vista cant run full potential on the 360 i dont think,  because the 360 doesnt support 64 bit (but Vista can run in 32bit mode) processing...(can someone please confirm for me..) Xp, would run...since its the Xp kernel, OS X? are you kidding? Mac os is useless when i comes to this. It wont take full advantage of the Graphics, the Processors, etc. LinuX will definatly work.

This post has been edited by SRI-Sajuuk: Dec 31 2006, 09:19 PM

v8godfather

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »

Correct me if im wrong because im only just getting into this(so yea im a noob). Couldnt you just get and XSATA or a memory card get and xbox live name or a gamesave put it on your pc download a good binding program(usually to hide viruses in programs) and load it back up on the 360install linux then put your xp disk in and it should load up. Correct me if im wrong people because im just getting into this please dont flame ph34r.gif

vax11780

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(v8godfather @ Dec 31 2006, 04:16 PM) View Post

Correct me if im wrong because im only just getting into this(so yea im a noob). Couldnt you just get and XSATA or a memory card get and xbox live name or a gamesave put it on your pc download a good binding program(usually to hide viruses in programs) and load it back up on the 360install linux then put your xp disk in and it should load up. Correct me if im wrong people because im just getting into this please dont flame ph34r.gif

The is no executable code in a gamesave or live profile, so adding executable code to it provides no benefit.
Further, the xbox360 will not execute unsigned code, and nobody outside of microsoft knows the signing key.

Please spend some time reading these forums.

VAX

A@ron

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »

this may be fake so take with a huge GRAIN OF SALT