xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Played Paper Mario Thru The End?  (Read 97 times)

GaijinPunch

• Archived User
Anyone Played Paper Mario Thru The End?
« on: April 19, 2004, 12:01:00 AM »

I'm curious if anyone has played this to the end.  My last N64 game on Surreal was a debacle (at the end, unfortunately) and I'm wanting advice before I start this one.  Feel free to throw your two cents in.  Just wondering if current emulation is good enough to give it a whirl.

rake

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 02:04:00 AM »

yeah I beat it.  there are only minor glitches throughout the game, mostly little graphic stuff that you don't notice (really).  it also has a nice little ending.  what game did you have a problem with?

Krill123

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 03:24:00 AM »

I also finished it... It's a very fun, addicting game. :)   And the fact that you can save anywhere, anytime.. Well.. Makes the game alot easier to beat.

As far as graphics/glitches go.. It's very stable and works well.
There is one thing though... My xbox would crash when I loaded a saved game, then re-loaded another saved game.. It would crash each time.

Enjoy.

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 05:29:00 AM »

played fine all the way through apart from 3 things:

1) at certain points the characters become black (doesn't effect anything, just looks a bit weird)

2) the fortune teller - there is a part when you've left the village and come back and any attempt to use the fortune teller makes the game crash (not important because it is not necessary to see him)

3) ease back with the savestates, using them at the wrong (processor intensive) time will crash the game.

apart from those minor points the game is superbly playable.

staticks

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (0123456 @ Apr 19 2004, 02:22 PM)
1) at certain points the characters become black (doesn't effect anything, just looks a bit weird)

I get that too; it's when the characters are in dark environments and instead of the sprites being shaded, they're just solid black.  I got this in Project64 1.3 for Windows, but it was fixed in 1.5.  Dunno when they'll fix it for Surreal...

GaijinPunch

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys.  If you read the Surreal 64 Help Thread, the latest post is my rant about Majora's Mask (J).  I got the moon, and the graphics (besides my items, lifebar, etc.) are black.  I can't see where I'm going, so can't go anywhere.  I tried tweeking the memory as well.

At this point, I'm thinking of moving the savestates to my PC and trying it out on 1964 there... it's just one last stage.  

Also with MM, you basically can load a savestate only when the Nintendo (w/ the revolving N) logo appears.  Anything else has too much stuff loaded into RAM.  It will load your save state, but it'll freeze.  Kind of keeps you from "cheating" too much.

staticks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 09:51:00 PM »

I don't use save states anymore.  There're built-in saves in the original games for a reason, and I don't need to cheat to get through the game.  IMO, save states take the fun out of playing the game.  Too often I've been tempted to progress a few steps, save a state, I die, I reload immediately and do it again; where's the challenge in that?  This is why I try to avoid save states as much as I can.

Does anyone else get the periodic black sprites in Paper Mario, though?  I have a 1.1/1.2 Xbox; maybe it's particular to certain Boxes but it shouldn't be since I get it on the PC as well and an emulator version update fixed it.

Iriez

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »

No, the black sprites are common with that game and rices plugin.

GaijinPunch

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 06:35:00 AM »

QUOTE (staticks @ Apr 20 2004, 02:44 PM)
I don't use save states anymore.  There're built-in saves in the original games for a reason, and I don't need to cheat to get through the game.  IMO, save states take the fun out of playing the game.  Too often I've been tempted to progress a few steps, save a state, I die, I reload immediately and do it again; where's the challenge in that?

Get back to me after you've played for 2 hours and it freezes.

skabio

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 07:15:00 AM »

I also played it all the way through.  It never crashed on me and I played it for over 6 hour blocks.   The only problem I had with the game is that it is really easy to get stuck when you visit the secret mouse in the desert town.  When you go behind the building all of a sudden the screen is all black and its very difficult to manuver yourself back out.  Definitly worth playing though.

GaijinPunch

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »

Thanks for the tip... I'll be sure to use save states. :)