xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: X360 Backwards Compatibility  (Read 610 times)

StuMan1337

• Archived User
X360 Backwards Compatibility
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(PedrosPad @ Mar 26 2006, 01:02 AM) *

My working theory is that the updates to the BC were stored in the Flash firmware on my bro's X360 D/K:2.0.2258.0 unit, so I'd expected BC to fail now that the HDD is now back in my D/K:2.0.2241.0 unit.  But then there was that persisted update to my profile file (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) .....I'll try it out.

Have you tried this yet?

I think the thing was putting the virgin image back on your HD, then bringing it to your brother's (since he has the new Kernel) and trying to run a BC game so you get the update. Then taking the HD back to your 360 and playing a BC game. Right?

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(StuMan1337 @ Apr 7 2006, 08:46 PM) View Post

Have you tried this yet?

I think the thing was putting the virgin image back on your HD, then bringing it to your brother's (since he has the new Kernel) and trying to run a BC game so you get the update. Then taking the HD back to your 360 and playing a BC game. Right?

Not yet - Suffered a house break-in and lost the X360 (+ LCDTV, laptop, etc.)  grr.gif
(Fortunately, they left the external USB drive with my collection of X360 HDD images -  so could have been worse  dry.gif ).

One extra test I did do while at my Brothers was for use the X360 to format the HDD, then play a BC title, accepting all the updates required.  This clearly showed what was written to the HDD.  The results were surprising - such so that I asked Angerwound to repeat my test to verify the results ahead of posting.

Wolves

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2006, 01:24:00 AM »

This one Name.txt with the words Hard Disk, is that the name you chose for your HDD? Change the text inside that and check the name of your HDD in the dashboard. Just a little thing I noticed...

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 02:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Wolves @ Apr 16 2006, 08:31 AM) View Post

This one Name.txt with the words Hard Disk, is that the name you chose for your HDD? Change the text inside that and check the name of your HDD in the dashboard. Just a little thing I noticed...

Didn't try editing it to confirm (and now unable to since theft grr.gif ), but that's what I took it to be.

If so, being an unsigned file, and one that is read in by the Dashboard, some interesting experiments could be performed with fuzzing that files's contents - really long strings, funny characters, etc.  Hmmmm.  cool.gif

Jail Bird

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(PedrosPad @ Apr 18 2006, 04:53 AM) *

Didn't try editing it to confirm (and now unable to since theft (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif) ), but that's what I took it to be.

If so, being an unsigned file, and one that is read in by the Dashboard, some interesting experiments could be performed with fuzzing that files's contents - really long strings, funny characters, etc.  Hmmmm.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

You think its going to do something out of the ordinary?  I expect it just to ignore words if its too long.  Perhaps out of the normal symbols could cause a little hick-up but other than that I dont know.

Would try it out but dont have the skills to make a adaptor to hook up the hdd to pc.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2006, 02:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(Jail Bird @ Apr 20 2006, 02:23 AM) View Post

You think its going to do something out of the ordinary?

Nope.  It's way too obvious laugh.gif , but again you never know  cool.gif - we're looking for chinks in armour - something so small it's been overlooked. smile.gif

IIRC the text file was plain ASCII, not Unicode - which is unusual on the X360!  ohmy.gif  Also complications brought about by internationalisation can make seemingly mundane routines surprisingly complicated (thereby introducing room for error! wink.gif ), such as support for Kanji text, right-to-left Arabic script, etc.

I can't test either ATM  sad.gif , but it's a very quick test to do so I'll add it to the TODO list for when a few seconds present themselves.

Prodding the X360 is more a case of verifying that the obvious holes are closed currently. sleeping.gif

Jail Bird

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2006, 05:40:00 AM »

Well I try to see if I can dup a adaptor this weekend to test it.

Secondly, How would you add arabic characters if its not Unicode?  Only thing I would know atm is adding the whole range of ASCII (0-255).

Well off to lovely school... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2006, 06:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Jail Bird @ Apr 20 2006, 12:47 PM) View Post

Well I try to see if I can dup a adaptor this weekend to test it.

Secondly, How would you add arabic characters if its not Unicode?  Only thing I would know atm is adding the whole range of ASCII (0-255).

You're correct, you can't in this case.  Any right-to-left character displaying (and/or Kanji support) would most likely require the X360's region setting to be changed, and no way is currently known to do this.

My point was that a seemingly simple routine to load the string from a file and display it on the dashboard blade still has plenty of room for errors. happy.gif

Jail Bird

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(PedrosPad @ Apr 20 2006, 08:36 AM) *

You're correct, you can't in this case.  Any right-to-left character displaying (and/or Kanji support) would most likely require the X360's region setting to be changed, and no way is currently known to do this.

My point was that a seemingly simply routine to load the string from a file and display it on the dashboard blade still has plenty of room for errors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

Ahh ok, I get ya.  But I will see what I can do after the Grand Prix this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Wolves

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2006, 12:30:00 AM »

Wow, imagine if this simple file was the way into the 360. Probably looking too far up my ass but what would you name it? The text hack, the font360 hack, or something else?

This post has been edited by Wolves: May 4 2006, 07:30 AM

Jonb123

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2006, 03:10:00 AM »

Ok here is my 2 cents worth......

I am lead to believe after reading this thread that it would be possible to alter the orgional xbox emulator for the 360.

Dont get all bent out of shape if this cant be done but....

Couldnt we just make the Xbox emulator into an Xbox 360 emulator. I know it sounds pointless running an xbox 360 emulator on an xbox 360 but while making the emulator could we not remove the media flag checks and code signing checks busting the 360 wide open for homebrew?

Just a thought  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by Jonb123: May 5 2006, 10:11 AM

Interloper

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »

This has been an issue of mine since Nov.22  . I've refused to put my box online, not wanting any updates. It is still a virgin. Should I keep it in this state or .. ? what do you guys think?

Flame2k

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2006, 01:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(Interloper @ May 5 2006, 08:28 PM) View Post

This has been an issue of mine since Nov.22  . I've refused to put my box online, not wanting any updates. It is still a virgin. Should I keep it in this state or .. ? what do you guys think?

Well if its not too much trouble and you dont need to go on live, a virgin 360 may be of some use to this effort. If you are happy to run any tests or ideas that may be thought up...that would be nice smile.gif

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »

Sorry to jump in here and speculate in your fine thread.

i was just thinking and i did search to see if it has been tried but couldnt come up with anything here or through google.

has anyone tried putting the whole xbox 1 dashboard on an xbox 360 hard drive and tried launching it?

im just interested to know what will happen you might just get a streight forward error but you might get an interesting crash.

i was just thinking what xbe files are actually signed and have a media flag to boot from hd only thing i could think of was the dashboard and the live stuff in the xodash folder.

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »

Seems feasable if there were an HDD Flagged xbe on the 360 HDD that actually gets called. The xboxdash.xbe and xonlinedash.xbe are present on 360 hdd's but unfortunately never attempt to get executed. If a legacy xbox game attempt to 'jump back to the xbox dash' for whatever reason as it did on the xbox1, you get kicked back to the 360 dash anyhow.

XBOX1 Game Updates are executed from the hdd but also are protected with the contentmeta.xbx (we can't recreate this without knowing what the 360 is using as a HDD Key for signing.) and they also must be the same titleid as the xbe calling them. Thus, sticking a dash xbe in here wouldn't work.

This post has been edited by Angerwound: May 13 2006, 05:03 PM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5