xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced  (Read 167 times)

Mr_Films

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« on: January 02, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »

I have yesterday successfully replaced the BIK files on the COD 2 demo on the kiosk disc.

I used Bink Rad Tools to encode my avi/wmv files and they played first before COD 2 loaded perfectly..

Don't know if this is any help, but I think it means the BIK files are NOT filsize checked by the xex..

mr-films

LepPpeR

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 12:48:00 AM »

you can also simply replace the .wmv demo files instead of going into the COD demo for a faster result. nothing, to my knowledge on the disc is file size checked.

nic8612

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(LepPpeR @ Jan 3 2006, 08:19 AM) *

you can also simply replace the .wmv demo files instead of going into the COD demo for a faster result. nothing, to my knowledge on the disc is file size checked.

well, so far we all know that the WMV files can be replaced, i think he was trying to prove that a different format would work also.  i dont know if this is of big significance, but if the signed demo will run any video we stick with it, what else can we do with the demo?  other people have successful altered the shaders in the king kong demo.  if these files are signed and have such tight security, then why are they so easily able to be altered?

feflicker

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »

if these files are signed and have such tight security, then why are they so easily able to be altered?

Only the .xex (executable) is protected. All of the support files (shaders, music, videos) are un-protected. This is how the Xbox1 was as well... It would not make sense for them to protect EVERY file. It would slow things down too much...

nic8612

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(feflicker @ Jan 4 2006, 09:46 PM) *

Only the .xex (executable) is protected. All of the support files (shaders, music, videos) are un-protected. This is how the Xbox1 was as well... It would not make sense for them to protect EVERY file. It would slow things down too much...

aaah, that makes sense

tachy0n

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

Do they have any checks on them at all i.e. size?

I don't know if it was ever determined whether the hotswap only ran through the cache or played the actual disc (someone post below if they know please) but if there are no checks then why are people bothering to look for exploits though the kiosk disc when we have the entire x360 catalogue available? Load up an original, replace with a backed-up version containing some modified code in a media file for example.

ssj4android

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »

I believe the files on the hotswapped disk would have to be the same size. Wouldn't it already have loaded the TOC or something?

hazpha

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 10:10:00 PM »

we may have skipped something. maybe somehow someone could make a program that extracts the protection code from the on-touched .xex and writes it into a hacked .xex . it might just be a waste of time trying tho.

lobango

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(hazpha @ Jan 5 2006, 05:41 AM) *

we may have skipped something. maybe somehow someone could make a program that extracts the protection code from the on-touched .xex and writes it into a hacked .xex . it might just be a waste of time trying tho.

the protection format isn't like that.  you can't just "copy paste" it from file to file

Symph0ny

• Archived User
Cod 2 Bik Files Replaced
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »

Most of the time signing files invlolves making a hashcode:   Hashcodes are built by a program to assign a unique identificaiton to a data set.  Of course, this can be done a number of ways.  It does involve picking up pieces of data from the data set, but this data can be from any section(s), and could be shifted:  A=F, Z=E, etc...

When it's a standard practice to create hashcodes for stability and security, we can assume that microsoft is using a hashcode process for their signing system.  What we don't know is which algorithm they use.  There likely isn't enough data to brute force this, so you're stuck with a leak to get the data.