xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Willing To Brainstorm?  (Read 126 times)

SMC

• Archived User
Willing To Brainstorm?
« on: December 27, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »

Since the video files on the Kiosk demo still runs after being downsampled, that made me think...when suddenly a crazy idea popped up.
Who remembers the CDX that people used to create thier own DLC for halo 2(think Mimesis), well what that did, was run reguardless of what files were in it(because the .xbe remained unchanged) and would sign the content(maps in this case) with the correct encryption on the fly...do you think the same thing happens here?

InterestedHacker

• Archived User
Willing To Brainstorm?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(SMC @ Dec 27 2005, 11:36 PM) View Post

Since the video files on the Kiosk demo still runs after being downsampled, that made me think...when suddenly a crazy idea popped up.
Who remembers the CDX that people used to create thier own DLC for halo 2(think Mimesis), well what that did, was run reguardless of what files were in it(because the .xbe remained unchanged) and would sign the content(maps in this case) with the correct encryption on the fly...do you think the same thing happens here?

I don't think so, but it is likely that people will be experimenting with buffer overflows.  I think Hypervisor is going to stop them getting far, but we should explore every avenue.  Who knows, maybe it's not flawless.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Willing To Brainstorm?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:34:00 AM »

no, nothing remotely like this is happening here, the kiosk demo isnt installing or signing anything, its just playing demos, videos, and .swf files

theres a small amount of hacking being done with flash apps, but the limitations of flash itself, and the bastardized 360-version of the player are making it tough