xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pi Released The Demo Disc From The Kiosks And.. Behold  (Read 414 times)

OcnewB

• Archived User
Pi Released The Demo Disc From The Kiosks And.. Behold
« on: December 27, 2005, 07:51:00 AM »

As title describes here the information:

aceman118

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »

I have a feeling this is not unsigned. It probably has some sort of signing in it. My best guess is that MS made this downloadable or something so that if a retailer needs a new on all they have to do is download it and burn it. Just a guess though.

OcnewB

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 08:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(aceman118 @ Dec 27 2005, 04:25 PM) View Post

I have a feeling this is not unsigned. It probably has some sort of signing in it. My best guess is that MS made this downloadable or something so that if a retailer needs a new on all they have to do is download it and burn it. Just a guess though.

Well it HAS to be signed because the xex files wont load if they arent signed. however there is just (and this is what i think) no mediaflag attached to the files. I wanna bet it would also run from the hdd

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 08:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(modthebox.tk @ Dec 27 2005, 04:35 PM) View Post

if MS has not signed it we can burn and send in a diagnostic program sometime in the future and see what the 360 is made of.

it could also be a software signature that we could maybe even extract and put to burned disks of linux

muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif .
this might be a good start or just a big blowover

wut? like mentioned it has to be signed otherwise the xex wouldn't even load. It's just that it has multiple media flags making it possible to run it on burnable discs too. There might be a reason for ms to do this or they might have messed up or something but still it doesn't mean we can get any keys out of there. In fact it would be no different then trying to get a key out of a normal xex.
You can also not run any unsigned apps/games out of this disc.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(leXor @ Dec 27 2005, 04:42 PM) View Post

Quote from the nfo:
"It seems MS was in such a hurry to get this stuff out that they forgot to set the media protection on this disc. This leaves hackers with the posibility to hack around with this disc that load from a normal DVDR5 backup! - Team Pi also notes that the all datafiles on this disc isn't signed in any way, and will allow for extensive modification for producing exploits to further our efford to hack this box!"

Are they not refering to xex files when they say: "all datafiles on this disc isn't signed in any way"?
If they don't mean xex files, how is this different from the retail games (exept for the mediaflag)?
Signing is only done on executibles anyways, is it not?

I still have high hopes on this as THE breakthrough wink.gif

well try to edit the default.xex and then burn it and see if it works... I doubt it.
I think they just mean that everything besides the xex's are not protected and can be edited.

OcnewB

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 08:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(leXor @ Dec 27 2005, 04:42 PM) View Post

Quote from the nfo:
"It seems MS was in such a hurry to get this stuff out that they forgot to set the media protection on this disc. This leaves hackers with the posibility to hack around with this disc that load from a normal DVDR5 backup! - Team Pi also notes that the all datafiles on this disc isn't signed in any way, and will allow for extensive modification for producing exploits to further our efford to hack this box!"

Are they not refering to xex files when they say: "all datafiles on this disc isn't signed in any way"?
If they don't mean xex files, how is this different from the retail games (exept for the mediaflag)?
Signing is only done on executibles anyways, is it not?

I still have high hopes on this as THE breakthrough wink.gif

I guess what they mean is that the files have no mediacheck/signthing. The .nfo confuses me also a little bit.

Look at it this way, the downloadable backw.c. .xex file from ms IS signed but has no mediacheck so you can burn and update.
I guess its the same with this.

iquid-!ce

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 08:47:00 AM »

theres already about 4 threads on this disk

filthy_sanchez

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »

damn... sorry for that... my mistake.

please close the thread.

leXor

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(krayzie @ Dec 27 2005, 04:49 PM) View Post

well try to edit the default.xex and then burn it and see if it works... I doubt it.
I think they just mean that everything besides the xex's are not protected and can be edited.

If your statement is correct, would this be possible:
1. Find a default.xex on the demo-kiosk disc that uses some unsigned dll-like file.
2. Hack the unsigned dll and make it execute a default.xex file from any retail game without changing the app-id - making the 360 think that it's still running the first app, when it's infact launching a retail backup game.

I don't know if something like this is even possible or if it's just another stupid suggestion.
Atleast I try tongue.gif

OcnewB

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(krayzie @ Dec 27 2005, 04:49 PM) View Post

Me to.

jizmo

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »

Strip all the undesirable stuff from there, replace a certain WMV-HD video with a WMV-HD video of your choise, burn it to DVD+RW and voilá, you've just turned your x360 to a standalone HDTV player that doesn't require that bloody MCE.

Arius

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 09:05:00 AM »

you can burn the Xbox update disk.

If you change anythong on that disk (and I imagine with this disk) it wont boot.

Its great fro a couple of demo's but my guess is that that will be all it is ever good for.

OcnewB

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Dec 27 2005, 05:10 PM) View Post

Strip all the undesirable stuff from there, replace a certain WMV-HD video with a WMV-HD video of your choise, burn it to DVD+RW and voilá, you've just turned your x360 to a standalone HDTV player that doesn't require that bloody MCE.

Sounds interesting  smile.gif

enixn

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 09:15:00 AM »

yeah...they said they ripped some of the movie files so it would fit, and it still works......so the content can be changed....

mksoftware

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 09:17:00 AM »

Indeed, seems MS did this because they thought it would be easier for all people over the world.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4