xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hole (possibly) Found To Play Full 360 Backups  (Read 191 times)

deltop

• Archived User
Hole (possibly) Found To Play Full 360 Backups
« on: December 14, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »

You obviously don't understand the basics of software and hardware securtity and how they are implemented. This so called hack has nothing to do with a security hole. It's simply something that an 5 year old could tell you isn't possible, just by having a very basic understanding of how security is implemented on the 360 and even the xbox1. It's threads like these that are giving this forum a bad name at the moment.

Try to understand this. Every xex that is launched on the 360 is checked for it's media flag, it doesn't matter if it's launched after another one is run first or not the check is carried out regardless. If this so called hack actually worked the entire development team behind the xbox 360 would most likely be fired and would never work in the business again. They didn't spend 2 years developing the most secure console ever just to allow a second xex to run without checking it's media flag, even if you managed to run another first.

Tell you what though as soon as I get my hands on a 360 I'll try it. I'll also try shoving a ps2 discs into it to see if that works. After all just because no one's tried doesn't mean it won't work right? At least according to your logic.

KR4ZYMAN

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »

Why would this work on a Dual Layer disc and not a dvd5.? huh.gif

jameswalter

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(kday @ Dec 14 2005, 10:32 AM) View Post

Just because we couldn't get around the first XBOX's security doesn't mean we will never get around the 360's security.

How did we not get around the XBox's security....its called a modchip, a TSOP flash, and a softmod.  MS also spent very little time and effort on the security for the xbox, the 360 has had 2 years of development, a CPU with a special spot dedicated to running the hypervisor which ensures that all code that is running is allowed to be run, a new way of running code that doesn't allow buffer overruns, etc...  They did their homework this time.

BjTheClown

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(deltop @ Dec 14 2005, 07:20 PM) View Post

You obviously don't understand the basics of software and hardware securtity and how they are implemented. This so called hack has nothing to do with a security hole. It's simply something that an 5 year old could tell you isn't possible, just by having a very basic understanding of how security is implemented on the 360 and even the xbox1. It's threads like these that are giving this forum a bad name at the moment.

Try to understand this. Every xex that is launched on the 360 is checked for it's media flag, it doesn't matter if it's launched after another one is run first or not the check is carried out regardless. If this so called hack actually worked the entire development team behind the xbox 360 would most likely be fired and would never work in the business again. They didn't spend 2 years developing the most secure console ever just to allow a second xex to run without checking it's media flag, even if you managed to run another first.

Tell you what though as soon as I get my hands on a 360 I'll try it. I'll also try shoving a ps2 discs into it to see if that works. After all just because no one's tried doesn't mean it won't work right? At least according to your logic.

that was such a helpful post. thanks for being a fuckhead.

No_Name

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »

Seeing as you dont have an Xbox 360 you cant prove this is actually happening.

If it worked like you said more than 1 person would have posted the same results..

I call BS on this its too simple to work the empolyees who work for the company who make the XBox (yes I know who they are I just dont like this sites autofilter of it) are not stuipd and would have thought about this stuff.

deltop

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »

ok, thanks, that's enough now.

Nope it's not, I'm on a roll. Why should I stop now? The thread hasn't got locked just yet.

It's all the lame ass threads like this that are actually scaring away people who DO know what they are talking about. I've a couple of friends studying tripe E at Heriot Watt. They've expressed an interest in checking out the security on the 360, but when I mentioned this forum, they just laughed, I wonder why.

kday

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(deltop @ Dec 14 2005, 07:53 PM) View Post

Nope it's not, I'm on a roll. Why should I stop now? The thread hasn't got locked just yet.

It's all the lame ass threads like this that are actually scaring away people who DO know what they are talking about. I've a couple of friends studying tripe E at Heriot Watt. They've expressed an interest in checking out the security on the 360, but when I mentioned this forum, they just laughed, I wonder why.

Alright dude.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 11:56:00 AM »

Hey I have an idea. Why don't we take a 360 game dump and burn it to a disc (make sure its dual layer). Then circle around it 10 times and put in the 360 labeled up. I'm positive it won't work but yeah you know...it might be a bug....please someone try this as I don't have any dl discs lying around.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 12:02:00 PM »

Only thing that is funny around here is you. why don't you just give up and start reading about security measures for the xbox(360) and certainly do not start posts on rubbish you haven't checked yourself first and the worst thing call the topic that you found a possible hole. well it at least gives you guaranteed reactions.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »

So now you say it wasn't you who typed the topic title?

edit: And to reverse....if you feel like proving something why don't you just first try it yourself instead of creating another useless topic on cases that are explained over and over and over again.

I don't really see the relationship to postcounts but if you think I only come down on you to increase it then I agree with you and will let you alone....

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »

I never said that you said you found a hole. maybe it's you who needs an English course or at least learn how to read. And this is getting boring. Good luck with your "possible" findings.

KR4ZYMAN

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

No one will do any work on this thing if people keep posting lies, then all the people that come here and learn will all be denied. Jesus why do you do this, are you attention seeking kids.

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »

People aren't coming up with anything. Here is what everyone is trying to say. It's been tried and tested but at the end of the day the testers came up wanting. The way the 360 executes it doesn't matter whether you replace a demo with a full game or if you just burn the full game onto the disc. The xbox security simply does not let things like this happen. Each xex is checked for it's digital signature and media flag regardless of whether it was the 1st 2nd or 48,000th. Now, what you are stating is there could be a hole or flaw in the security to allow this code to run whose signatures normally would cause it to fail to run. That would be entirely possible if you were introducing something different that could mess with the way the security functions.. but you aren't. It has even been tested to see if it might work. It did not. There is nothing left to discuss here. Instead of investing more time into this idea that has been proven wrong, why don't you spend more time looking for new, valid possibilities?