xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Live Market Place Demo Downloads  (Read 201 times)

MrPhunkee

• Archived User
Xbox Live Market Place Demo Downloads
« on: December 13, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »

The dvd/iso's r signed to run of dvd-rom only.. So doesn't work. Sure, the game would maybe be vieuwable, bt won't run.

ViNCe_V

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 06:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(MrPhunkee @ Dec 13 2005, 09:16 PM) View Post

The dvd/iso's r signed to run of dvd-rom only.. So doesn't work. Sure, the game would maybe be vieuwable, bt won't run.

You're right about that. The game originals include an additional media check, but I'm thinking a couple of steps ahead I guess. My thinking was that we know there is a plce where the 360 can launch executables from on the hard drive. So, if a possible way to throw off the security measures was found through another loophole, then we could store the games on the hard drive, and maybe boot from there? The problem is bypassing the security measures still, but I thought it was a nice fact to still keep in mind.

On a completely secondary subject, maybe there is no checks on the xex files once they are on the hard drive? This would be incredibly stupid and rare, but here's what I am thinking. If we modify the DNS settings of the 360, and then have it try to download a game from our own PC's instead of trying to connect to the real Live Marketplace server, then we could easily get files onto the 360. The only thing would be to monitor the traffic between the 360 and the Live server to find out how information is sent and recieved. This would also allow us to send any type of file in theory. Because I believe the Live Marketplace sends the 360 a list of available items first. We could just tell it a different list of items, and have it download any file(s) we wanted. Of course, this involves alot of work and will probably lead to a fruitless endeavor. But, just another random idea.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »

You're right about that. The game originals include an additional media check, but I'm thinking a couple of steps ahead I guess. My thinking was that we know there is a plce where the 360 can launch executables from on the hard drive. So, if a possible way to throw off the security measures was found through another loophole, then we could store the games on the hard drive, and maybe boot from there? The problem is bypassing the security measures still, but I thought it was a nice fact to still keep in mind.

this would be useful if some future mod allowed us to alter or bypass media checks, but we still couldnt run actual unsigned code, a good thing to keep in mind once we see the final direct 360 hacking will take

kday

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 01:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(erikk @ Dec 14 2005, 09:49 PM) View Post

all people says that the xex files on dvd media will check media flags etc... ok, but what is with other xex files like the update for bc? or xex files from hdd?
they seems that they have no media check, or how they can be run from different hardware and burned cds?

an other thread closed, because the writer seems an idiot for many here, but no one try those simple tricks yet, so i dont understand how all can say, that it doesnt work, to change xex files and structures from demo discs else..

i would like test somethings like with the demo cd or harddrive copy on linux, but i dont have any possiblities here without these demo (is that available in germany?)

another point:

what do you think?
in my pc times i tried to patch demos, with original content folders. the game structure from an xbox 360 game looks very simple, anyone tried to download for ex. need for speed demo, replace the content folder with that from the pi image and run that from hdd? i think we can edit the hdd via linux?

The x-scene moderators have their heads up their asses.  There are some better forums that are getting more things done (PI tool for example) that are open-minded to ideas.

KR4ZYMAN

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »

Just one thing,if there are better sites why are you here then.?

diablomastabarb

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »

kday, seriously, first you make a thread about something you obviously know nothing about, now you go and insult the x-scene moderators just because they yelled at you for making a useless thread. If you really don't like it here, it's your own fault for not reading the rules, which say don't make a new thread if the things you are looking for already lye in the forum. Now go away, nobody likes you.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »

all people says that the xex files on dvd media will check media flags etc... ok, but what is with other xex files like the update for bc? or xex files from hdd?

xex files for games on dvd-rom media have media checks that are set to dvd-rom (so they can only be run from pressed dvd-roms)

others have the media check set so they only run from the HD

some, like the emulator update, are purposely left with no media check, so they can be downloaded and burned at home

the check is entirely in the xex, so it can vary from one file to another

The x-scene moderators have their heads up their asses. There are some better forums that are getting more things done (PI tool for example) that are open-minded to ideas.

actually most of the real work isnt even done is public forums, its done in private forums, IRC channels and in peoples basements, the real hackers dont put all their work out for MS to see

and the moderators here think they are super leet.

its hard to respect the maturity of anyone who uses the word "leet"

KR4ZYMAN

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 03:26:00 PM »

Good point, lets face it the 360 has barely been out a month, ms would soon revise it. The work that had been done would be useless.

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 05:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(erikk @ Dec 14 2005, 05:39 PM) View Post

ok when the update xex file have no media check... it seems possible that the file structure allowed to run from any medium, right? and the programmer put a media check in when he want, rigth too?

its same like a pc game with with any cd protection, it seems harder, but its on same way.
any good dissasembler can patch normal exe files, so they dont do a media check... why its not possible for an xex file? theoreticly it is possible or not?

now the problem is (i think) that the xex seems encrypted right? wich depends on key from xbox, we dont ever found out. i will confirm this in my mind, to media like a dvd, which stills check the checksum too. but how i could be possible for hdd? i couldnt be the same secure, cause the hdds never have the same checksum.

my english is not well enough to give more opinion details... but i think ms give first time the possiblities that you can play stuff from a hard drive... so they have to be holes with the xex file.

You're very confused with this post. The protection doesn't seem "harder" on xbox than it does on pc. It can easily be removed. It's just that once you remove the media check you throw the checksum off and invalidate the signature.
Why is it that you want to reinvent the wheel? Why you guys NOT listen to reason? We all want to circumvent the security and if we didn't know for sure these were invalid options we would be excited and try them. The problem is, they have already been tried and came up empty.
The definition of insane is to do the same thing over and over but expect a different result.

(You mentioned that a xex could not have a checksum while on hdd because hdds all have different checksums. This is where you are confused and to a certain extent I am too. The actual checksum is no problem because if the xex is simply an executable the checksum will only be of the executable. If the xex is an archive the executable is still contained within the archive and that would have a checksum... [here is where I'm confused] but would the archive have the checksum? )

What I'm saying is, either way it's possible since the checksum is not of the physical media but it is of the data on the media... specifically a xex. I just don't yet understand exactly how it's done.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 05:21:00 PM »

its same like a pc game with with any cd protection, it seems harder, but its on same way.
any good dissasembler can patch normal exe files, so they dont do a media check... why its not possible for an xex file? theoreticly it is possible or not?

its is very possible and in fact very easy to patch media checks, however the xexs are signed (all of them)  and we cant alter, edit or patch any part of the xex without invalidating the signature (this has been covered at least a dozen times in this forum alone)

now the problem is (i think) that the xex seems encrypted right? wich depends on key from xbox, we dont ever found out. i will confirm this in my mind, to media like a dvd, which stills check the checksum too. but how i could be possible for hdd? i couldnt be the same secure, cause the hdds never have the same checksum.

not encrypted, signed (see above)