xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ftp A Xbox 360  (Read 557 times)

ViNCe_V

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(erikk @ Dec 14 2005, 02:03 AM) View Post

what happens when you connect without any ftp software? like internet explorer or else... a programm where you never fill in a port.

In that case, the program will use the default port associated with that protocol. For example, ftp:// will get you port 21, unless you manually enter a port. http:// will get you port 80, unless you manually enter a port. And the list goes on and on for the various protocols.

As far as having your browser ask for username and password before trying to connect, that is possible. But no matter how you slice it, there is no pre-built ftp server into the 360, nor is port 21 open at any time. I do however think I know what the 10## port is used for. I think that is the port used to deliver Xbox Live Marketplace features. I tested this by doing a port scan while I was downloading from the MarketPlace and found that no additional ports had been opened up. While it is not really necessary to open up a port when downloading, since the 360 opens up a port when working with Media Center, I assume it takes a similiar approach when working with the Live Marketplace.

EDIT: The Live Marketplace port theory is backed up because when you play a game, the port disappears. And, when you watch a dvd movie, that port also disappears. There is one big flaw though. When I go to Live Marketplace from within PGR 3, the port is not open. So maybe it is actually used for something else from the dashboard.

erikk

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »

no when i watch my router protocol i see that the connection will be succesfull and then i have to fill my username and password.

how i can check out network traffic to see wich ports the connection use or try to open, on mac?

kday

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »

On Mac's open up terminal and type: netstat -an

on Windows it's: netstat -n

Very similar.

edit: Nevermind, they are both netstat -an

This post has been edited by kday: Dec 14 2005, 10:02 PM

erikk

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »

thx...

very interessting thing...

the xbox is shutdown...

only my mac and the router is still power on...

no system with ip of the xbox is online.

when i try to connect to this ip (the xbox is still power off), the popup window come and i have to fill in name and password.

conclusion... the xbox has no ftp server... but what do my mac? where the mac want connect to? mmmhhhh...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

edit: Netstate -n shows ip of xbox with port 21 ... right!

This post has been edited by erikk: Dec 15 2005, 12:21 AM

Monoxboogie

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(erikk @ Dec 15 2005, 12:22 AM) View Post

thx...

very interessting thing...

the xbox is shutdown...

only my mac and the router is still power on...

no system with ip of the xbox is online.

when i try to connect to this ip (the xbox is still power off), the popup window come and i have to fill in name and password.

conclusion... the xbox has no ftp server... but what do my mac? where the mac want connect to? mmmhhhh...

blink.gif

edit: Netstate -n shows ip of xbox with port 21 ... right!

Make it conclusive.  Pull the networking cable from the Xbox.  Then attempt to connect.  That will verify if another device is on the network taking the address.  <FLAME>Even though it's a Mac, and they're buggy crap</FLAME>, I'd find it tough to believe that a Mac would prompt for a username/password before connection.  To further verify, and insure that this is not the case, try to FTP to 1.3.3.7.  If it prompts you, then something is fux0red on the Mac.

DarkSky Forever

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »

I don't know why everyone thinks there is a pop server on the Xbox 360, just because the port is open doesn't mean shit. Any service can be assigned to any port. Its a wonder why they didn't use port 21 for universal plug and play, it'd have the retards on this forum trying to "crack" it for weeks.

I'm sure with the macintosh ftp system, if it doesn't establish a connection with no username and password, it prompts the user for a password and username thinking it must have these two things to establish a connection.

Trust me, there isn't an FTP server on the xbox 360.

DivyX

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 03:06:00 AM »

I imagined back in the old days that ftp without given port defaults to port 21.
But as I have understanded it, it most certainly DOESN'T do that always. That would be just plain stupid.
Packets contain information what protocol it is ( ftp, http ) etc and all listening services such as FTP servers knows how to direct the package to right place when packet is received, what ever it is that handles the packages.

Atleast I remember it is so, i could be way wrong though...  tongue.gif  

VoiceOfReason

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(DivyX @ Dec 15 2005, 02:13 AM) *

Atleast I remember it is so, i could be way wrong though...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

You're way wrong. A server calls an API to listen on a port; the server won't even see traffic to other ports.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 11:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Dec 13 2005, 04:05 PM) View Post

Okay.  Looks like I can't ping the son of a peachbasket while streaming a song from my computer or not streaming (with Windows Connect).  However, the NETSTAT command in the command prompt shows this:
192.168.1.102:22919
and the state in ESTABLISHED
Hmmm.  Makes you think, huh.
Oh, and FTP doesn't work for me, at all.
I have to call BS on that prompt coming up, read my post above.

Yes BS, on the ftp.  There are no ftp services running.  There is nothing to hack into user/pass wise on the 360.  The established connection is for the streaming, you'd see a couple different ones whether on WMC or using a media center pc.

QUOTE(sp3cialk @ Dec 13 2005, 05:14 PM) View Post

you guys that are scanning... just curious to what apps you are using?? sounds like the run of the mill port scanners, etc... you know when you connect to your pc for streaming it gives you a key to enter in the media connect or the media center software... has anyone ran something like Cain while setting up a connection and then maybe after when streaming and see if something similar to that key is passed???

I've run quite a few port scans with AW security software and many traces with ethereal.  I'll give Cain a shot and post back if anything special pops up.

QUOTE(ViNCe_V @ Dec 13 2005, 07:00 PM) View Post

Test 1: Not Signed into Xbox Live at Dashboard --- open ports: 25 (smtp), 110 (pop3), 1030 (?)

Test 2: Signed Into Xbox Live at Dashboard --- open ports: 25 (smtp), 110 (pop3), 1030 (?)

Test 3: PGR 3 in Xbox Live Match --- open ports: 25 (smtp), 110 (pop3)

Test 4: PGR 3 at Main Menu --- open ports: 25 (smtp), 110 (pop3)

Test 5: Watching TV using Media Center on 360 --- open ports: 25 (smtp), 110 (pop3), 35091 (?)

There are more than this "open" in the sense that if you can authenticate properly to them you could connect.  See my post in this thread.

sentinel0

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »

people give it up there is no ftp server on an xbox 360.  I mean think logically what purpose would MS have for a ftp server.  The fact that having one is a pontential security flaw not just for modders but hackers could scan ip ranges for xbox 360 ftp servers go in and do all kinds of harm which something ms doesnt want to deal with who ever the idiot was that started this thread needs to be shot.  Sorry for my attitude but come on seriously if you know anything about networking or evens computers you would know that the whole idea is retarted.  This is the technical forum not for 12 years olds that read something on google about ftp and wonder if it's incorporated into the 360.  I really wish the technical forums were moderated better or just let approved people post comments in here because i'm not a technical guy so i'll never start a thread i just like reading about new developments brought on by people who know what the fuck they're talking about.

This post has been edited by sentinel0: Dec 15 2005, 08:29 PM

BjTheClown

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »

in erikk's defense i believe that the username/password authentication box did pop up. if you try to FTP to a given IP using finder it will often prompt for the useraname and password as soon as it detects that there is indeed something at that ip (whether it has an FTP server or not). so lets not be so hasty to call BS, he made an interesting obsevation and decided to post it. and to sentinel0, you just need to calm down. he was just trying to help, there are plenty of other threads made by people who know a lot less about what the fuck theyre talking about.

erikk

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 04:40:00 AM »

thx...

how i say... i found the error in my idea... because i dont know that my "finder" does, when i try to connect... see my last post!

what is bs?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

OpticNurv

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 05:05:00 AM »

i dont necessarily call b$ on this, check out this screenshot i took of when i tried to log in through bulletproof ftp
IPB Image

InterestedHacker

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 06:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(OpticNurv @ Dec 20 2005, 02:12 PM) View Post

i dont necessarily call b$ on this, check out this screenshot i took of when i tried to log in through bulletproof ftp
IPB Image

What are we looking at???  The 'Connected, waiting for reponse' ???  That just confirms that the port you tried to FTP into is indeed an open port.  NOT FTP!!

There is NO FTP on the XBOX 360!!!

EDIT: Don't believe me, well connect your FTP to forums.xbox-scene.com  using port 80!  See the response...

dcnigma

• Archived User
Ftp A Xbox 360
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

all i can say funny  laugh.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3