xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Game Saves, Exploits  (Read 387 times)

BurnOmatic

• Archived User
Xbox Game Saves, Exploits
« on: November 25, 2005, 07:07:00 PM »

if old gamesaves aren't gonna be allowed to be used with the new system, but if the emulator for the new system plays old games that means that it will also generate a new gamesave for the game and hence be allowed to be used in the new system, well what if we found out a way to exploit  the new gamesaves from the old games to exploit the new xbox 360, i think it might be doable, just save the gamesave to a memory card instead of in the xbox itself , highjack it then put it back in the memcard via like say Action Replay or something like that ! and mabe we could take control of the flagship ! ph34r.gif  muhaha.gif

i dunno mabe im trippin, but i think im not too far off ! any input and constructive comments welcome ! i love criticism bring it bitches ! smile.gif

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »

ill wager my terabyte media server that the emulator autopatches the games to prevent them from loading exploited saves, much like later releases of the game discs themselves were patched

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 02:31:00 AM »

also don't forget this:
* Also inside the CPU is a hypervisor that verifies the running state of the kernel, making sure there is no modification (RAM checksums), else the Xbox360 panics and blows up!

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 07:03:00 AM »

We need to stop thinking about using old exploits from a system with a completely different design.  Buffer overflows are not going to happen with the 360, that's the way it has been designed.

We need to start analysing what we have and coming up with new ideas.

DaBiscuit

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(BurnOmatic @ Nov 26 2005, 02:14 AM) View Post

if old gamesaves aren't gonna be allowed to be used with the new system, but if the emulator for the new system plays old games that means that it will also generate a new gamesave for the game and hence be allowed to be used in the new system, well what if we found out a way to exploit  the new gamesaves from the old games to exploit the new xbox 360, i think it might be doable, just save the gamesave to a memory card instead of in the xbox itself , highjack it then put it back in the memcard via like say Action Replay or something like that ! and mabe we could take control of the flagship ! ph34r.gif  muhaha.gif

i dunno mabe im trippin, but i think im not too far off ! any input and constructive comments welcome ! i love criticism bring it bitches ! smile.gif

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. What you will have done, if this works, is exploited an emulated X-Box 1, in essense. That's one hell of a long way short of being able to execute unsigned code on the real X-Box 360 architecture.

In short, even if you could get a Splinter Cell exploit to work, there is a gap that might never be bridged between that and having exploited the 360. I also agree with many other posters that it is not something that is going to work. I doubt gamesave exploits will be the way to hack this console at all, not even gamesave exploits for X-Box 360 games. MS got lazy, last time... it's perfectly possible (it merely requires exhaustive attention to detail) to protect your code from buffer overflow attacks, and they know how it was done the last time...