xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why Do People Say Xbr Is Better Than Cygnos?  (Read 122 times)

The_Doctor

• Archived User
Why Do People Say Xbr Is Better Than Cygnos?
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:12:00 AM »

i think its because, since the xbr freezing issues were sorted out, you can install xbr for a couple o bucks over lpt, whereas cygnos is $65. and they do basically the same thing with the similar amounts of support.

rastaman108037

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(supes @ Jan 10 2010, 05:06 AM) View Post

I don't understand why xbr is preferred over cygnos?  Cygnos is more stable than xbr and seems to have almost just as much support.  As far as the price  goes an cygnos chips is only like $60 and usb spi are going for around $35 and upto $70 installed.  So unless you are building the the flash device yourself I really dont see the benefit of going with xbr.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Gee Mr. Madison, why bother installing XBR if 65$ is a trite amount.

The Cygnos is overpriced and has very few advantages over spending 10$ at radio shack and doing XBR. There's no real need for a usb flasher if you use xell.

supes

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »

What do you mean why bother installing xbr... if $65 is a trite amount? WTF does that have to do with anything?  I am simply weighing the pros and cons of the two homebrew exploits.  Plus the comparison in priice im making is for those of us who cannot make our own flasher and therefore we woudl need to buy it premade hence the similarity of the two prices.  I do find interesting what you are saying of the $10 build and flashing with xell, but ofcourse I would need more info and less you being a smartass dick.  Thanks in advance if you decide to the latter.

node21

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »

This topic makes no sense what-so-ever.

Cygnos is hardware that gives you a spare NAND, and a way to flash either of them via USB.

XBR is a rebooter that allows you to run homebrew, etc.

So, this topic boils down to "Why do people say being able to run homebrew is better than having a spare NAND?"  It just doesn't make any sense.

If you are asking to compare freeboot (which requires two NANDs, and therefore cygnos, or a self built dual NAND) to XBR, that's fine...and a meaningful question (XBR wins currently).

If you are asking whether you should buy a cygnos, or build your own jtag hack, that is also a sensible question.  (It's up to you.)

But, in the end, you can buy a cygnos, and put XBR on it (which is what I did).  To me the extra money didn't amount to anything, and the convenience of the cygnos as a turnkey solution was worth every penny...feel free to make your own decision though, please!

NineLime

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »

Yeah some people think 65 dollars is a lot of money. Realistically you could save 60 dollars by just doing XBR properly over LPT, but it does take a few hours to figure out. Technically you don't need a LPT plug, if you're cheap all you need is the 100 ohm resistors, and the 3 diodes, and some wire. I had to use 50ohm ones for one of my zephyrs, and 100 ohm ones worked for the other. The new zephyr did not work on them, had to use falcon, I discovered this by accident because of a broken power plug post.

You can stick the wires right from the resistors/diode/ground of the xbox to the LPT port(bend them over if it's non standed wire), it was easy and cheap. The LPT male plug I bought didnt work, possibly cos I put wires straight into the plug.

I ended up taking a cat5 cable and putting the wires from that into the LPT port, then plugging that to a coupler, and then on my xboxes there are cat5 cables soldered to the matching places to do the LPT hack.

Cygnos is probably better if you're worried about not backing up your nand the first time and bricking your xbox. The cost of the cygnos might make up for the spending 10-20 hours I spent trying to do it on LPT.

I recommend doing grim187s 4 step xbreboot guide, not the 4 step xbreboot guide with gentoo, because it doesn't have you backup the entire nand before flashing xell, which could be confusing to fix for some.

niai

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »

xbr is near free if you use lpt and is cheap with usb and what you siad bout usb flasher being 35 is ture but thy can be used on menny xbox where a cygnos is only one box

but xbr is most used as its free and is the best sported atm most things are being made for xbr and its now stable at running game now more freezing pluse you dont need to patch ur games to play them with xexloader in xbr

there is lots more to but when it comes down to it there is no advantage to having freeboot atm there for b
xbr is far better

mafiafan123

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »

I would pick just a jtag with xbr if your willing to do more of the work for a little less either way it comes down to what you would like to do, there is always a postive and a negative to everything just my 2cents.