xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Black Glue  (Read 106 times)

heerofox

• Archived User
Black Glue
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »

Hey guys.

I recently bought an Xbox 360 (later found out its a Hitachi 3120L.) and a NME 2.0.
So i opened the box and prepared for some soldering when I notice a bunch of black glue in the soldering area.
After some research, i found out that this is the case with many (or all?) of the Hitachi 3120L, and that
the only fix is to use some sort of chemical or heat gun to melt/remove the black glue.

On the other hand, I have been looking into other options, specifically, Blaster360. It looks like on their site they claim that the blaster360 works with the Hitachi 3120L.

I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion/advise that they could give me as to whats the best route to go here. I mean, its going to suck paying for the blaster 360 when ive already purchased the NME 2.0, on the other hand, I risk ruining the board by using chemicals or a heat gun to try and get rid of that black glue on the board.

Thanks!

Technitian3

• Archived User
Black Glue
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »

Removing the epoxy with heat and a knife is tricky, I cut 3 traces doing so. I was too impatient to use the conformal coating remover (which wont hurt the board, unlike my xacto) so I ended up doing repairs. Use the chip: it works great, you already own it, and there is no chance of bricking your drive with a bad flash. I just put mine in today and I like it better than the iXtreme1.41 f/w I did have on my Benq.
Also, don't waste discs using NMEassociator, use Xbox_360_SS_merger_1.7b to prepare the backup using this guide: http://vgcrepairs.com/NME%20guide/nme%20maker.doc

SpankIt

• Archived User
Black Glue
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »

Removing the epoxy should be very simple. You just need to use the right amount of heat and it just peals off carefully using a scalpel.