xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hot Glue Gun To Secure Wires?  (Read 76 times)

boxxa

• Archived User
Hot Glue Gun To Secure Wires?
« on: March 03, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »

Since hot glue doesnt conduct electricity, I am pretty sure you dont want to use it on the connecting points.

Also, since it melts at a relativley low heat, I wouldnt trust it in an area that has a high temperature such as in a computer or xbox.

Just my $.02

mikehenya

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »

I have used hot glue alot in the past. The key is to make sure you don't over do it. I will usually put a small line down ,wait for it to start to harden, the attach the wires to the top of the dried glue with more hot glue on top. This suspends the wires up off the board to save any shorts. Never glue over solder points, they are a pain to clean off if you need to retouch the points. Hope that helps!

ydgmms

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »

electrical tape?

jcdenton2003

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »

leki tape dude! dont over complicate stuff!

bumangba

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »

I've done it myself with a hot glue gun, you just gotta make sure your wires are making contact with the points before you glue it for better results cover the glue with electrical tape to keep it from shorting out my ground wire!  Hope this helps!

STEye

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

Well I wasn't using it to substitute soldering, more just to keep the wires secure...  and my main question really was asking if I should put it on top of the solder joint..

*Ricey*

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(STEye @ Mar 15 2007, 03:07 AM) View Post

Well I wasn't using it to substitute soldering, more just to keep the wires secure...  and my main question really was asking if I should put it on top of the solder joint..

you mean glue your wires down to the board after you install and soldered your chip ?

certainly make it a tidy install and secure them to the board only downside suppose if you need to remove it for any reason in the future, i was going to glue mine but didnt bring and from work on the day i installed it so no go