xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wires That Came With Nme1.2  (Read 120 times)

ibiza911

• Archived User
Wires That Came With Nme1.2
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »

I was curious whether it would be a good idea to upgrade these wires, I have a  Hitachi drive so I have some soldering to do and in an earlier post someone showed pics of the install using 30AWG wires I believe should I go this route or should I be fine with the standard wires that came with it? Thanks in advance for your help!

JK

ydgmms

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:26:00 AM »

I use the wire from an 80pin IDE cable. No problems. but so far only done 1.1s (5)

aaron1017

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »

30awg wire is fine for the data lines. I doubled up the +5v and Ground wires though.

ibiza911

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »

So if i go ahead and use the wires that came with it I presume that they are good enough they are all different colors which i dont think that matters, please correct me if I am wrong I will attempt to do the install this weekend, thanks in advance!

JK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(aaron1017 @ Jan 20 2007, 08:13 PM) *

30awg wire is fine for the data lines. I doubled up the +5v and Ground wires though.

hanksemenec

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »

If you are a little shaky and tend to melt the insulation on the wires, you can always use Kynar wire 30awg.

The insulation is made of teflon and it melts at higher temps. If you spend a little bit more time solderring the wire, you do not melt the wire insulation and have a nice finish.

RadioShack has the Kynar wires, just ask for them.

Remember flux is your friend, so get a flux pen. Sometimes the flux core solder does not produce a nice solder joint, so apply some flux to the joint and reheat it. If you are using rosin core flux, please, clean it off after, using rubbing alcohol on a Qtip. Rosin tends to stay active and it will corode the connections after you are done. This will happen mainly in high humidity environment. The only time you do not need to clean the flux, is when you get no-clean flux and solder!

There is also another flux, it is water soluable. Do not use this one! I you do not clean it off it will become conductive with age, really bad stuff if you do not get it off.

For Noobs stick with rosin core and rosin flux, then clean the area off with alcohol.

Hank

This post has been edited by hanksemenec: Jan 28 2007, 06:43 PM

NeoDarkSaver

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »

Thanks for letting me know they come with wires.