xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New On Jtag And Spi.. Clarify Please..  (Read 36 times)

T3XA5360R3B3L

• Archived User
New On Jtag And Spi.. Clarify Please..
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »

Someone gave me a XBOX 360 to fix the DVD drive on and I found out it's never been touched.

I think it's a Falcon board with a manufacturer date of 10/15/2007. It's a Pre-NXE too. Doesn't look like it's been online ever.

I'm going to keep it and do this Hack that everyone is doing and give the person back a 8955 spare console I have.

Now all I need is someone to clarify what the hell JTAG means and is it any different than this NAND dumping and flashing I'm reading about..

I've got all the parts to build the cable and I know how to solder and can solder the 7 wires to the 360 mobo and solder them to the DB25 connector.

But what is this extra step for this JTAG option and do I need it?? What does JTAG do as opposed to the 7 wire connection that allows you to dump the NAND and flash it??

Greatly appreciate a clear answer..

Thanks!

Downcastnut

• Archived User
New On Jtag And Spi.. Clarify Please..
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »

I will make it as clear as possible

so the 7 wires that connect to the DB25 connector are the only wires needed to dump the NAND

the 3 wires (JTAG) points are used to run the new dashboard.

they are totally separate but you need to have all 10 wires soldered eventually

the 3 JTAG wires are PERMANENT

the 7 LPT wires are NOT PERMANENT, but are needed to write to the NAND

(3 wires) JTAG--->run new dash
(7 wires-->DB25--->COMP) LPT------>flash new dash

the reason why the 7 wires for LPT are not permanent is because once you have XBR flashed you can now update your XBR with new programs straight from the 360 (ie Flash360, Xellous v1.0, XeXmenu(ftp))
 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

This post has been edited by Downcastnut: Jan 29 2010, 07:47 AM