xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Xdsl V0.3  (Read 220 times)

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(chimpanzee @ Sep 5 2005, 11:58 PM)
how can you use a PCI card with Xbox ? Or I have misunderstood what you want to do ?

friedgold

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »

Yes it should work but you'll prolly have to get the drives for it.. I doubt standerd drivers will work but i might be mistaken!!

a_madman

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »

Today was my first effort at installing xdsl.  I used the ftp method, and I believe the installation was successful.  However, when I booted the default.xbe, it loaded Xromwell, but then gave an error regarding not being able to boot KNOPPIX/linux24

I went back to my config file, which I created by copying and pasting from xbox-linux.org, and noticed that the slashes after KNOPPIX were \ instead of /.  I edited the cfg file on my pc, but now my xbox will not boot at all.  I don't know if it's fragging, becuase my bios is modified to have a red led, and so it's just a flashing red led.  It does not boot three times, just goes straight to flashing.

I get no A/V, and I've tried both regular and HD pack, as well as multiple harddrives.  I've also tried to FTP, since I thought perhaps the dash was still running and video was just messed up.  Does Xromwell do anything to the video settings?  When it did boot Xromwell, it hung on that error, so I manually shut it down, and it has not booted since.

a_madman

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »

Actually I have my TSOP flashed, and I'm pretty sure that bios is still working, because that's where the red led option was turned on and that's what I'm getting.  I did, however, install a solderless chip to see if it would boot, and the same thing happens.

I know that there is an option within Xromwell to change video settings, so I'm wondering if it perhaps changed something on boot, and then when it froze after the error, it didn't reset.  But the video options in the linuxboot.cfg that I made were 640x480, so I would think it would still boot even if it did change the vid settings.

Here's the actual cfg file I used, taken directly from xbox-linux.org:

title XDSL
kernel KNOPPIX\linux24
initrd KNOPPIX\minirt24.gz
append root=/dev/ram0 init=/etc/init rw video=xbox:640x480 frugal quiet kbd-reset

and the link:
http://www.xbox-linu...wiki/XDSL_HOWTO

Since I have edited my default led to be red, the flashing could be either a corrupted eeprom, or an actual FRAG.  The chip that I tried has an old version of Cromwell on a bank, so I tried that when I had it plugged in and it didn't boot either.  It was my understanding that Cromwell will boot even with a corrupted eeprom, so I'm assuming this is an actual FRAG, and I'm blaming it on video settings, and I don't know how to change them back without being able to boot from a disc at least.

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2005, 01:38:00 AM »

haha, maybe the fun is only begining (I guess it it, I still really need to learn pretty much most of linux wink.gif but the first loopback boot went ok. Next and subseqent boots I get at boot:

fsck:
mounted: /dev/loop0
Running e2fsck on mounted filesystems may cause SEVERE filesystem damage.
Continue? y/n

Which Ive never seen before, even when installing 0.3 and making my linuxboot.cfg file and using the init-rd.gz from 0.2.... so maybe something involving the remount command caused this?

But regardless, it seems I cannot press y or n.... the keyboard doesn't want to work, so there is nothing I appear to be able to do to get past this point. Any ideas?

friedgold

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2005, 09:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(a_madman @ Sep 8 2005, 04:33 AM)
Today was my first effort at installing xdsl.  I used the ftp method, and I believe the installation was successful.  However, when I booted the default.xbe, it loaded Xromwell, but then gave an error regarding not being able to boot KNOPPIX/linux24

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »

I tried fsck.ext3 /mnt/hda55/xdslfs and it did some stuff, no errors. Something about updating the journal entry from memory. This was booting from a frugal FTP base, and I have no live CD (same deally though I gahter).

Reboot and my loopback still have the same issue. Since with the remount commands you suggested, F: wasn't mounted by default, I though "why not try the loopback install again, but not remount f:?" So I deleted the loopback and swap files, loaded the frugal base, then as root typed:

mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda50 to fix the rewriting issue, then xbox-loopbackinstall

All went ok, no errors. Upon reboots, linuxboot.cfg and ird-loop.gz (i called it ird-init.gz I think earlier, opps, but I'm sure you knew what i meant) were still created correctly. And the loopback isntall seems to work fine now, after several test boots. So maybe me first mounting F: then mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda55 did something funny. Anyways, it appears to be going now.

On a side note, I noticed the erranous "mount: Drive F not mounted" etc errors at boot I was aksing you about (Just after the auto FSTAB creation and the knoppix-boot script) are NOT there anymore, so great work there. Perhaps it was the "^" symbol as you suggested, I never got a chance to try that out. But thatnks again.

(still have yet to try the digicam, but I did a lsmod the other day, and usb-stroage was loaded, so will check into that some more soon).

a_madman

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(friedgold @ Sep 8 2005, 05:39 PM)
Do you have the ability to flash to your solderless chip (by maybe putting it into another Xbox)?

Yes, I went ahead and got the latest version of Cromwell and put it on a bank of my solderless chip.  I also tested my harddrives on another box and they are all working fine booting from the solderless chip.  I put the solderless with the latest cromwell back in the malfunctioning box and it boots cromwell, so I'm pretty much positive that my EEPROM is corrupted, which would explain the flashing red light when I have the solderless chip booting any bios besides cromwell.

Now I'm curious where I should go.  I'm wondering if there's a way to just reflash my EEPROM, because I have a backup.  I am familiar with using configmagic, but I don't know if it's possible to boot from cromwell.  Is there a linux alternative to configmagic?

a_madman

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »

Thanks a bunch friedgold.  I'm sorry that I ended up spamming your thread.  I don't think the problem I have had anything to do with xdsl, since I never saw anything past xromwell.  I will try out xdsl in the future and post my experience.  Thanks for helping when it wasn't really your problem.  Any more questions I have I'll put in a more appropriate thread.

sili

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(DjSnake86 @ Sep 5 2005, 12:13 AM)
Hi everybody!

friedgold

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2005, 05:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joshua Wood @ Sep 11 2005, 01:33 AM)
Some appear to have come back, and I promise I haven't been touching anything I shouldn't be, only the other changes you've told me to make.

burn_babylon

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »

Uhm, probably a stupid question but how do I make the screen fit on my tv?
Its a bit outside on the left side, i tried both ntsc and pal/60 modes with the same results.

I tried all the different resolutions available and 640x480 is the only one that actually shows a picture and it works fine, except as I said above, the screen doesnt actually fit my tv. Is there a solution to this problem because I am no 1337 linux h4xx0r.

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Xdsl V0.3
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 12:30:00 AM »

wink.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3]